PDA

View Full Version : Carnage!

zimm17
10-24-2008, 03:12 PM
Well I'm at my parent's house for the weekend and decided to tear my engine apart prior to me moving to Hawaii so I won't wonder what's wrong with it for the next 3 years.

The pictures pretty much sum it up.

There are metal fragments in all the cylinders- I'm guessing with no intake valve, a lot of metal bounced around the intake and fed all the pistons. Now I wonder if any metal shavings got up past my intercooler and into the blower... I really hope the blower is ok. It sounds fine when I spin it by hand, but I haven't pulled the intercooler out yet.

Now I have 3 years to save up for a new engine.

Hmmm.... 500EFI? 525EFI? New 502 long block and re-use my blower?

fogducker III
10-24-2008, 03:46 PM
Holy crap!!! That is some damage, sorry about your motor, but as you say, you have a little while to decide what you want to do...........good luck with it.

BigGrizzly
10-24-2008, 04:57 PM
I have done that ask MP.

SilverBack
10-24-2008, 05:07 PM
That looks pretty bad!! Did you decide not to sell your boat?

zelatore
10-24-2008, 05:49 PM
Tell me you slid the wrist pin back in the rod, not that the piston totally disintegrated around it.

I cringe thinking of the sounds that made...

zimm17
10-24-2008, 06:03 PM
Tell me you slid the wrist pin back in the rod, not that the piston totally disintegrated around it.
I cringe thinking of the sounds that made...

Uhhh... nope. That's a pretty strong wrist pin.

mrfixxall
10-24-2008, 07:10 PM
detonation! or from the looks of the sparkplugs you may have had a lein condition also along with too much timing..

MOP
10-24-2008, 07:40 PM
Like you say the tips are very white!

I bet the blower is just fine.

BUIZILLA
10-24-2008, 07:45 PM
so where's the piston residue?

BigGrizzly
10-25-2008, 08:40 AM
I disagree with the detonation. Remember he is fuel injected and has a O2 sensor and a computer. The valve dropped and the water caused the white. besides, Mine did the same thing and I can tell you positively there was no detonation. the exhaust valve crystallized and broke on mine. BTW that was almost 9 years ago, and the piece that MP is talking about was part of the head and block sitting in the bilge. In my case when we took the engine apart there was not one piece of shrapnel in the engine it was all in the bilge. The only thing we did was replace the block one rod piston assembly and Garry fixed the head.

BUIZILLA
10-25-2008, 09:01 AM
so where's the piston residue?

I disagree with the detonation. :wink:

Donziweasel
10-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Damn Zimm, that is some carnage! Really sorry about the grenade. I would keep the blower if it is undamaged and build another 502. Would be more power than a 525EFI and probably cheaper. Good luck with the engine and move.

BUIZILLA
10-25-2008, 09:17 AM
I probably have no clue what i'm talking about, but since it looks like an intake valve, i'd suspect a too close piston/valve clearance and it tagged the valve, bent the stem, cracked the guide, and the rest of the rotator went for a ride.... thats a very clean stem seperation... but that's just a stupid persons opinion...

Ed Donnelly
10-25-2008, 10:07 AM
Buiz; Don't be so hard on yourself.. I personally agree with you:yes:
and I'm blind in one eye and as dumb as a stone:nilly: ...Ed

DONZI
10-25-2008, 04:29 PM
Or possible weak or broken valve spring ???:lookaroun:

Sorry for your loss ZIMM.
It's great your keeping a great attitude about it and looking forward.:wrench:

zimm17
10-25-2008, 07:03 PM
Valve spring looks fine. I'm thinking that the piston actually cracked in half and flew up taking out the intake valve. Usually when a valve breaks, it's the exhaust. Plus the valve stem is bent over and broken through the cast iron- like the piston hit it. All the parts are down in the oil pan. Although I found pieces of piston ring in the exhaust ports on the OTHER side of the engine- ouch.
I don't think it was detonating, My AFR was set to 11:1. That engine did get way overheated several times. I had a water pump impeller break up and clog the oil cooler- the pieces passed through the steering cooler and I never thought of checking the hose between the two. It got so hot it lost power and stalled.
The thing about putting a new long block in is that my accessories are all 1996 stuff and getting pretty old. Waterpump, starter, alternator, no serpentine drive, etc. Might be better off finding a 500EFI takeout and selling the blower and dana exhaust to help offset the cost. I'd still have a 80mph boat and hopefully be more reliable.

BigGrizzly
10-26-2008, 08:34 AM
Zim17, I know where there is a 525 complete take out with 36 hours on it for $15,000. Don't know how long it will last. It is suppose to have the CMI exhaust too

zimm17
10-26-2008, 08:43 AM
Zim17, I know where there is a 525 complete take out with 36 hours on it for $15,000. Don't know how long it will last. It is suppose to have the CMI exhaust too

Darn it Randy, you can't tempt me like that. That's exactly what I want. I really do have to wait 2 years until I'm ready to come back from my tour in Hawaii. That's easy decision 'cause I don't have any money for an engine yet- need to save up two months rent for a house in Hawaii to get started out there.

Then the 525's will be cheaper ($15k is a good price, most are $20-25k). The info will be out on the 2009 merc LS3 and LSA motors.