PDA

View Full Version : Buizilla....

Donziweasel
10-23-2008, 09:44 AM
Need some help. Have a mini- bus with a 7.3 at 330,000 miles. Was going to replace it, but due to economic concerns, I have to keep it. Going to run it locally as ground transportation and look at it again in the spring. Engine has lost compression, shakes and is not in the greatest of shapes. Anything I can do to keep it running throughout the winter and maybe restore some performance?

mrfixxall
10-23-2008, 09:47 AM
Need some help. Have a mini- bus with a 7.3 at 330,000 miles. Was going to replace it, but due to economic concerns, I have to keep it. Going to run it locally as ground transportation and look at it again in the spring. Engine has lost compression, shakes and is not in the greatest of shapes. Anything I can do to keep it running throughout the winter and maybe restore some performance?

Powerstroke? REplace injectors,orings,glo plugs and valve cover gaskets:yes:

Adding fuel additive wouldnt hurt,it puts sulfer back into the fuel which the older truck need to start on those cold mornings..But dont put it in your new truck though..

Donziweasel
10-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Replaced injectors 3 months ago. Increased performance 5%-8%.

BUIZILLA
10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
injectors won't fix lost compression...

call Jasper Engine and get a reman quote...

mrfixxall
10-23-2008, 09:55 AM
Replaced injectors 3 months ago. Increased performance 5%-8%.

make sure your oil pressure is up to par,the injection relys on it..you can try running seafoam down the intake( after the turbo,,this will clean up the intake and exhaust runners and the valve seats and will increase the compression..i do this all the tine to my friends tow trucks with 500,000+ miles on them..works like a champ.

BTW ck the turbo waste gate,make sure its working..their known to freeze up and stick open which + no booste or vary little..

mrfixxall
10-23-2008, 10:08 AM

if your cylinders and pistons are worn their would be fuel in the oil..try the seafoam,,it really works!! make sure the engine is hot first,pull the turbo tube at the intake manifold have 2 cans of seafoam ready and slowly pour it into the intake.then shut it off and wait 20 min then start it up and go beat the snot out of it to burn all the carbon out...

MOP
10-23-2008, 10:33 AM
I have heard good things about Sea Foam and would not hesitate using it! You may a treatment or two. We had an old Ford diesel backhoe that refused to start when it got cold, I used OMC's carbon remover on it. When we started it after the wait time prescribed on the can we showered the lot with a ton of black crap could not believe what came out of that engine, and yes it started a lot batter after that. I can sing a lot of praises in favor of carbon removal, my buddy works for Toyota the Tundra V8's have a carbon issue, Toyota recommends a carbon treatment at 30,000 intervals. He say short trippers have to do it far more often. Makes me think I need to give a shot of Sea Foam to my toys!