PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Northwest Trip.......

Donziweasel
10-22-2008, 10:34 AM
Before I found out the Donzi in Washington was not going to work for me, Boo Boo and I were pretty fired up for a November road trip to the Pac Northwest. We were also bummed when it was not going to work for me.

We started talking last night and decided we haven't been on a roadtrip for a while. We decided to head to San Fransisco and work our way up the coast to Vancuver the second or third week of November just for fun. Boo Boo has never seen the Cascades or been to the Pacific Northwest. I know Zelator is in San Fran, and Lenny/ Yeller are near Vancuver. Any other members in that area we could say hi to? Would like to meet up with Don, Yeller and Lenny of they will be around.

fogducker III
10-22-2008, 10:44 AM
You are more than welcome to visit/stay with Jacqui and I, we have lots of room and are more than willing to show you some local sights.

No matter what, if you make it as far north as Vancouver, you HAVE TO visit Vancouver Island, or even better, forget visiting Vancouver and come straight to the Island?

Give me a call or drop us and email if interested. jeremy & Jacqui 250-880-1067 or poole.j@shaw.ca

BigGrizzly
10-22-2008, 10:47 AM
Wow, you have never met Lenny, be careful.:rolleyes:

Donziweasel
10-22-2008, 10:49 AM
Wow, you have never met Lenny, be careful.

Why does everyone say that?:biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
because Lenny... is Lenny... :worthy:

you'll understand when you meet him.. :nilly:

maybe.. :rolleyes:

maybe not.. :biggrin.:

then you'll understand where the word CLASSIC came from.. :rolleyes:

right len ? :outtahere:

Lenny
10-22-2008, 10:56 AM
Why does everyone say that?:biggrin.:

Dunno ... ???

:D :D :D

Come on up. Do Seattle, then take the Fast Cat to Victoria. We'll go from there. I am heading the opposite way shortly thereafter. LA bound for me. (oh, and Eufala :) )

Donziweasel
10-22-2008, 01:16 PM
Come on up. Do Seattle, then take the Fast Cat to Victoria. We'll go from there

Love to Lenny. We are leaving on the 14th for San Fran, then going to work our way north. Dinner is on us. Thanks for the invite.:worthy::biggrin.: Anything I can bring ya from Jackson Hole?

Now, gots to find my damn passport.

Now, how about Zealator and Yeller? Any one else out that way?

yeller
10-22-2008, 08:35 PM
Fogducker and Lenny are both on the island. We put all the people we don't want on the mainland out there. Kinda like Alcatraz. :wink: :biggrin:

DW, I'll definitely make time to hook up. When you get your schedule worked out, let me know the days you'll be up north so I can adjust my schedule. I might head over to the island if you go there as I have yet to meet Lenny myself.

yeller
10-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Now, gots to find my damn passport. If you're driving, you can still get across the border with picture ID and a birth certificate.

Donziweasel
10-23-2008, 07:24 AM
Lenny, can you recommend a good hotel on the island?

Yeller, can I bring you anything from JH? Jeremy?

Lookin' foward to it.

Uncle Fester
10-23-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow, you have never met Lenny, be careful.:rolleyes:

LOL..... you got to meet Lenny. In November the passes aren't too bad and if you really want to "see" the Cascades - come over Snoqualme and Blewett, then go back to I-5 over Stevens on your way North. Sherry and I got room and it's about 300 miles out of your way to make the run to Central WA from I-5.

Don't remember the name of the place, but we stayed in an awesome hotel this spring in Victoria.... rode the Clipper up. I'll try to dig around and find the name because it was top notch for the price. Lenny and Deenen kept us quite occupied..... FWI.... wear your seat belt with him in his BMW...lol

Titan
10-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I am definately up for a run when John gets here. He has to see at least some of the Gulf Islands while they are here. Maybe Boo Boo to if she is up to it, my wife doesn't boat after Sept., and she doesn't have twins on the way.

Lenny, are at the Island this weekend? Looked for you last weekend, Sunday we did Nanaimo for lunch. Incredible day, 110 miles after we hit the strait to play on the way back. Ran with a 20' Checkmate and a 27' Formula . Great time of year to boat, a little crisp but not a ton of boats out there. I should be out both days this weekend if the weather is as good as they are predicting. I will circle Piers, are you on the North or South side?

Yeller maybe we can rendevous when DW is here, it has been pretty flat in the strait lately. I was considering a run to Vancouver earlier this week.

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 08:05 AM
Jeremy, thanks for the offer. I think we will do the hotel thing. Want to pamper Boo Boo a little. She has been working hard and hasn't felt too hot. Can you, Lenny or Titan recommend a good place?

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 08:07 AM
Uncle Festor, will look at a map and see if we can hook up. Not worried about passes. Drive in snow and over Teton Pass (10%) all the time. Plus, Boo Boo's Expedition will have studded and siped snow tires. Bring on the weather!

Lenny
10-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Do you want to stay downtown in the Harbour or on top of a Mountain or out towards Sidney on the Oceanfront?

Titan, I was not at the Cottage last weekend. I will be there on Halloween night cuz the Community (120) has a machine piled bon-fire ready to go that is about 50' round and 20' high. :eek:

The LE has no exhaust manifolds or pipes or stuff on it right now. It is getting a handful of new engine parts, just waiting on a shiny one that requires a belt ;)

I could take the X-18 out in Nov when their here. It is fine once I get the prop (Ultra) back from Don in Sidney. It spun a hub and gets the Epoxy in version. He has had it about 2 months so it should be "ready". :)

Weasel, let me know your preference on location(s) and will you have a rental car? Here are three "ideas"

The best part (for you guys) is that our Dollar has dropped from $.96 US to about $.78 US in the last two weeks. (unheard of) So you will be able to live like Kings (and Queens) and still get change. :)

Downtown Harbour http://www.oswegovictoria.com/

Moutaintop http://www.starwoodhotels.com/westin/property/overview/index.html?propertyID=1747

Oceanfront Sidney http://www.sidneypier.com/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=sidney&gclid=CLap4bv6v5YCFQQCagodX302xw

Lenny
10-24-2008, 08:26 AM
I should be out both days this weekend if the weather is as good as they are predicting. I will circle Piers, are you on the North or South side?

South side, facing due South, (Ferry Terminal) on the point with the aluminum flagpole. If the flag is up on the pole, we are there.

Lot 15 which is the bottom right side of this map. Lot one (1) is the green Government Dock for reference purposes.http://www.homesvictoriabc.com/images/piers_map_bg.jpg

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 08:26 AM
Lenny, we are driving. Went over our trip today. Leaving the 14th. Heading to Eureka, CA first. Then heading up the coast through Oregon and Washington till we get to Vancouver. Will take fast cat over and stay one or two nights on the Island. Then drive home through Northern Idaho. Thanks for the hotel pics. We will look at some and get back to ya.:wink:

We are really excited. I think we need this. About to start a long winter and due to Boo Boo's due date, won't really get a vacation in the spring. We have never been on a really long road trip either.

Lenny
10-24-2008, 08:49 AM
Will take fast cat over and stay one or two nights on the Island.

The Fastcat comes here from Seattle (USA) only. http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry There are many other Ferries that come here from abroad. If you are coming from Vancouver you will be taking something that runs 22 mph and it will be one of these below.

http://www.bcferries.com/files/AboutBCF/08-028macoastalcelebrationstopsinlondon.pdf

Those pics are from Germany/London. We have three of these new ones here now that travel to the Island from Vancouver. Here they are up close. http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/16/Ferry_Coastal_Celebration_at_Departure_Bay.png

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 08:57 AM
First, don't make a fuss about us coming. I know you guys are busy. We would feel honored if we can meet and let me and Boo Boo treat ya to dinner. If we hit some nice weather and you guys are itching to get on the water, we would love to take a ride, but it is not expected. We would love to meet and just see the area.

Lenny, would love to see where you are on the LE, and any other projects you have going on.

Looking at the map, I think we will take the ferry from Seattle, and then after visiting, take the Ferry to Vancouver. Might try and hit Whistler for a few runs if they are open. Then work our way back home. What do you think?

Lenny
10-24-2008, 09:21 AM
Lenny, would love to see where you are on the LE, and any other projects you have going on.
Looking at the map, I think we will take the ferry from Seattle, and then after visiting, take the Ferry to Vancouver. Might try and hit Whistler for a few runs if they are open. Then work our way back home. What do you think?

No.

There are no Ferries (that I know of) from Seattle to Vancouver. Only from Seattle to Victoria. You drive the Seattle to Vancouver run.
Best bet is to drive to Vancouver, get on one of these Ferries above, come to Victoria, then go back to Vancouver, and then drive 2 hours to Whistler/Blackcomb and get a run in (if open yet) and see the Vancouver folks along the way. Vancouver is beautiful, and BIG. A must see as well. Do the "Gastown" thing and Grouse Mountain thing while over there.

Gastown http://www.gastown.org/

Grouse Mountain http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/0/0a/Vancouver_from_Grouse_mountain.jpg

The "Island" in the background is Vancouver Island where Victoria is.

Grouse is a little Mountain above the City of Vancouver. About a half hour drive uphill. Whistler/Blackcomb is about 2 hours away and unbelievable.

fogducker III
10-24-2008, 09:25 AM
That route sounds like a good one, if you hit Whistler let me know, my brother is the Operations Manager for the Westin up there and I am sure we can arrange a bed or two...?

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Was thinking about taking the ferry from Seattle to Victoria, then take the ferry from Victoria to Vancouver. You think it is better to drive to Vancouver first, then catch the ferry to Victoria?

Been to Vancouver and Whistler many times. The drive to Whistler is amazing. I love the whole area. Vancouver has a feel unlike any city I have ever been to. It is excpetionally clean, laid back, and has a very comfortable, almost bohemiam feel to it. Boo Boo has never been past Idaho, so northern California, Oregon, Washington, and costal BC will all be new to her.

Lenny, thanks a bunch for the suggestions. We really appreciate it. :worthy:

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 09:27 AM
Jeremy and Titan, thanks as well.

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 09:42 AM
Damn, Lenny, you are killing me with the hotels! They all look great, contemporary and where Boo Boo can be treated like a queen for a night or two.

Although I have my opinion, you know who will pick the hotel, and it ain't me!:wink: I am sure Boo Boo will pick a good one.

I like the Sidney Pier one. Would be nice on the water. Plus, with the Canadian dollar being at .78, I get to take 22% off the bill.

Lenny, Boo Boo and I don't get seafood often and it is like crack to us. Is there a good seafood resturant you can recommend and we can take you, and any other members who want to join us, out to?

zelatore
10-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Sorry for the delay - no internet at work for the last couple weeks. I've been living in the stone age :nilly:

Come on down! I forget what day you said you'd be in the bay area, but if it's a weekday I'll be in Oakland at work. Should be no problem to sneak away for a while and give you the 'three hour tour' of the bay with the Carver.

I know I spoiled George when he was out here by taking a new boat out. No guarantees of that - you might have to settle for my old 32, but it'll get the job done.

Of if you prefer, (and I don't have it torn apart with the winter upgrades) we can take the 22 out on the delta. Not as scenic as the bay, but a touch faster cruise than the 20 knots or so the Carver manages.

Lenny
10-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Let me think about the "food thing". Seafood to die for is probably going to be at the Deep Cove Chalet in Sidney. http://www.deepcovechalet.com/

Don Tamm stayed at the Sidney Pier and liked it. There is no Car Ferry service to Victoria from Seattle. Only Port Angeles and that is a Washington State Ferry from about 1958. NOT to die for. ;)

The Deep Cove Chalet is expensive. :yes:

http://www.deepcovechalet.com/menu.html

http://www.deepcovechalet.com/images/chaletcars.JPG

Uncle Fester
10-24-2008, 10:16 AM
Downtown Harbour http://www.oswegovictoria.com/

That's the one we stayed at..... Place was total class all the way...

Donziweasel
10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
Tamm will be here next week, I will ask him how he liked the hotel.

Deep cove Chalet looks great. My mouth is already watering. Living in the Rockies, all we get is trout. Count us in!

Boo Boo
10-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Lenny and everyone, thank you for your help. We really look foward to meeting you. :)

Boo Boo

Ryan M.
10-24-2008, 08:05 PM
Don't miss going to http://www.spinnakers.com/ while your on the island... Usually one of my first stops when I'm back home.
Ferris' Oyster Bar is also a favorite.

yeller
10-25-2008, 02:03 PM
Yeller maybe we can rendevous when DW is here, it has been pretty flat in the strait lately. I was considering a run to Vancouver earlier this week.I still haven't grown the balls to make the run from Van to Vic and certainly don't want to do it alone.

I'm hoping I can change my schedule and meet up on the island, but I'll be taking the German built boat that Lenny posted.

DW, even though it doesn't really matter whether you hit Van or Vic 1st, my opinion is to catch the ferry from Seattle and then come to Vancouver 2nd. Why?? I don't know....just seems like the better route.

Yeller, can I bring you anything from JH?Just an invitation to come skiing. :yes: Wouldn't be able to make it this year, but I've always wanted to hit that mountain again.

Donziweasel
10-25-2008, 05:57 PM
It's better than ever Yeller, we get our brand new tram back this year and with it, the title of the most verticle in the US. 4,100 ft. Old tram held 62, new one is over 100, straight to the top!

Yeller, my door is always open to you or any board member. I think Hedgehog and Last Real Texan are going to take a crack at JH this winter.

Mach 5
10-26-2008, 12:53 AM
Hey!
If you guys are in town, the newbie to the board would certainly like to get some feedback in person on the 1967 16' V-drive!

What are the dates again?

I should be getting the trailer late next week, and grabbing the hull after that, then getting the shaft installed and working my way up from there.

Garry
1967 Ski Sporter #390
Seattle

yeller
10-26-2008, 03:26 PM
It's better than ever Yeller, we get our brand new tram back this year and with it, the title of the most verticle in the US. 4,100 ft. Old tram held 62, new one is over 100, straight to the top!
Yeller, my door is always open to you or any board member. I think Hedgehog and Last Real Texan are going to take a crack at JH this winter.Thanks DW, appreciate it! I'm sure Hedge and LRT will have a blast.

On a side note: When you head to Whistler, not sure skiing will be open yet. They usually open around mid November, but I don't think they have been getting any snow up there yet. I could be wrong, I admit I haven't been checking. Just going by what the temps are here at home. Worth the drive either way though.

Lenny
10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
When you head to Whistler, not sure skiing will be open yet. They usually open around mid November, but I don't think they have been getting any snow up there yet.

Whistler opens Nov 27th... :(

http://www.whistlerblackcomb.com/weather/snowreport/index.htm

Donziweasel
10-26-2008, 05:54 PM
If you guys are in town, the newbie to the board would certainly like to get some feedback in person on the 1967 16' V-drive!

Always up for seeing a piece of Donzi history. Where are you located in Washington? Leaving the 14th.

Looks like skiing is out. Oh well. I have skied Whistler before and it is an amazing mountain. I think there are 5 resorts in the US that are in a class of terrain all thier own- Jackson Hole, Whistler, Blackcomb, Alta and Snowbird. Amazing skiing and snowboarding at all 5.

Mach 5
10-26-2008, 09:37 PM
I am in the Southwest Corner of West Seattle, about 20 minutes from downtown, about 15 minutes from SETAC...

I should be getting going on the hull pretty good by then, might have the deck on, but no promises!

Still interested?

Garry
1967 SS V-drive
Seattle

Always up for seeing a piece of Donzi history. Where are you located in Washington? Leaving the 14th.

Looks like skiing is out. Oh well. I have skied Whistler before and it is an amazing mountain. I think there are 5 resorts in the US that are in a class of terrain all thier own- Jackson Hole, Whistler, Blackcomb, Alta and Snowbird. Amazing skiing and snowboarding at all 5.