PDA

View Full Version : NOT winterizing...?

fogducker III
10-22-2008, 10:11 AM
I did a search of the site to see if I could answer my own question, couldn't find anything, so question is, Can you put a block heater in a marine engine to avoid totally winterizing a boat during cold weather?

cutwater
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM
I did a search of the site to see if I could answer my own question, couldn't find anything, so question is, Can you put a block heater in a marine engine to avoid totally winterizing a boat during cold weather?

If your temps never get below 30 deg for an extended period of time, you can just use a 100W - 200W light bulb/heat lamp. Make sure to cover the vent holes/ski locker access.

However, I would say a block heater would work fine except that do you really want to leave water stagnant in the block for months at a time? Or even worse, no fluid in there? As many will tell you, good anti-freeze is also a corrosion inhibitor.

If you don't winterize, your outdrive may also have some water remaining in it and will still be exposed to outside air temperatures. Could be a major problem. I like to run anti-freeze through the drive pickup to make sure.

MOP
10-22-2008, 10:25 AM

Sure but what about a possible prolonged power outage???????????

BigGrizzly
10-22-2008, 10:27 AM
It would not bee good because of exhaust won't benefit. Now if you had a closed cooling system and drained the exhaust and all coolers, your home free. It also depends how cold it gets. As I am sure that MOP will agree that we have seen every possible short cut there is and most take more time then just doing it.:rolleyes: The easiest is the closed cooling system and drain coolers. When I didn't have a closed system I drained the block and refiled with Antifreeze to inhibit internal rust, exhaust too.

fogducker III
10-22-2008, 10:39 AM
Excellent feedback, thank you. I understand now the draw backs to the idea. Couple of things, it does not get that cold here for that long, having said that, it does freeze at times. The weather here is such that through out the winter there are the odd nice days that are perfect for a quick run, so it would be nice to have the boat "ready" to go when needed. The fuel stabilizing is not an issue, I never have the same fuel in the tank or fuel system for longer than a month. I do see the problem with standing water in the system, as long as I run the boat as least monthly and keep a "night light" in the engine bay, can anybody see any problems? Thanks.

BigGrizzly
10-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Lenny can answer this better. If the block and exhaust is drained and hoses hooked back up it is easy. Night lites work in SOME instances. I like the dehumidifiers of a 100 plus watts.