PDA

View Full Version : IMCO 2" Shorty on a 22ZX

kramsay1234
10-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Just because my wheels are always turning and because I happened to be speaking to a certain forum member who had one available, I thought I would get some opinions from some experts on what exactly this would do to my boat. Are there speed gains to be had? Are there handling improvements? What will happen to the hole shot?

All of these are question from someone who has read plenty of positives from those that have installed them, but has never known anyone personally do have done it and I am really interested if anyone has installed one on a 22ZX.

Would it be worth considering?

The Hedgehog
10-21-2008, 05:55 PM
Just because my wheels are always turning and because I happened to be speaking to a certain forum member who had one available, I thought I would get some opinions from some experts on what exactly this would do to my boat. Are there speed gains to be had? Are there handling improvements? What will happen to the hole shot?

All of these are question from someone who has read plenty of positives from those that have installed them, but has never known anyone personally do have done it and I am really interested if anyone has installed one on a 22ZX.

Would it be worth considering?

That is a good question. How far is the centerline of the shaft below the hull. Once they went to steps they started raising the X. If you get too much into the ventilated water slip will go up too much.

It is probably something good to ponder and maybe even try but simply purchasing one would be a pretty big gamble.

kramsay1234
10-21-2008, 07:32 PM
I have never measured the how far below the hull the shaft is, but I am speculating it is pretty deep. I will measure before I put the boat away next weekend. If there was one on my doorstep to try, bolting it on would be worth the experiment. You are right though that buying one when its absoultely the wrong idea would not be good...

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 07:45 PM
just spitballing here shorter drive less leverage less leverage less bow lift less bow lift in a 22zx step hull not good but that is just thinking outloud

when Frank C had the 22zx was it a shorty???

The Hedgehog
10-21-2008, 08:42 PM
just spitballing here shorter drive less leverage less leverage less bow lift less bow lift in a 22zx step hull not good but that is just thinking outloud
when Frank C had the 22zx was it a shorty???

Steps don't need the same bow lift. It is the stern lift and ass end hop that makes them dicey.

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 09:03 PM
ok maybe i said it backwards, but in turns you trim up to keep the nose up and the steps down and a normal drive has more leverage to push the stern down and lift the bow now short drives don't act as big a lever , atleast that what i thought but i have been known to think things wrong:boggled: or was it say things wrong or was it both :boggled::boggled:

The Hedgehog
10-21-2008, 09:21 PM
ok maybe i said it backwards, but in turns you trim up to keep the nose up and the steps down and a normal drive has more leverage to push the stern down and lift the bow now short drives don't act as big a lever , atleast that what i thought but i have been known to think things wrong:boggled: or was it say things wrong or was it both :boggled::boggled:

True but I don't think that having a shorty will make you that much more prone to spin out. Just don't trim in before or during a turn.

What you do need to watch out for is also prop slap on higher drive height step boats. A 4 blade surfacing can give you some stern wag. I have been talking to a guy in England that has a 800 hp 26 ZX with a high X. His is all over the place at 80+.

kramsay1234
10-22-2008, 08:57 AM
So maybe its not the right thing for the 22ZX? Its too bad no one has tried one.

mattyboy
10-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I would drop Frank C a line "shanghied again" he had a 22zx stepped hull that was in the 80's also lil grizzly had one that was fast as well they would be a source of good info

BigGrizzly
10-22-2008, 09:58 AM
I know, I know. Ray put one on his wipple 22ZX and said he got 90mph. He said it was about 10 mph. The last time I saw him he broke it at Sota during the photo shoot, We have not seen him since. Frank did not have a shorty. My thoughts are it will be definably worse out of the hole. and much more prone to cavitation. I don't know what the stock engine increase would be, guestiment maybe 3 mph, could be more, but you never know until you do it. Kevin since your particular boat runs so well, if the opportunity arose I would try it. Just remember you make your boat fit you personal criteria. Also remember if you have a complete lower it is a 35 minute swap, after you do it the first time.

kramsay1234
10-22-2008, 04:55 PM
Thanks Grizz - If I know its worth trying i will keep my eyes open if one comes up. There was the one available from here, but it is sold to another Canadian Donzi owner. That one was a reasonable price and if it didn't work then I could likely have sold it for what I paid. But the shipping and logistics are a bit of work, so I will just keep it in the back of my mind in case something comes up. Seemed like the next cheapest performance gain to finding the right prop.

The Hedgehog
10-22-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks Grizz - If I know its worth trying i will keep my eyes open if one comes up. There was the one available from here, but it is sold to another Canadian Donzi owner. That one was a reasonable price and if it didn't work then I could likely have sold it for what I paid. But the shipping and logistics are a bit of work, so I will just keep it in the back of my mind in case something comes up. Seemed like the next cheapest performance gain to finding the right prop.

$2,500 - $3,500 for Shorty = maybe 2-3mph (or maybe not)

$4,500 - $5,500 for blower = 10+ mph

Hmmm

That does NOT mean that I think that shorty is a bad exercise.

kramsay1234
10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
At those prices - no question. The one I was looking at was $1500 and since it was from a forum member it had some credibility behind it.

$2,500 - $3,500 for Shorty = maybe 2-3mph (or maybe not)

$4,500 - $5,500 for blower = 10+ mph

Hmmm

That does NOT mean that I think that shorty is a bad exercise.

rtgogo
10-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I gotta get a winter project in the works! :nilly: