PDA

View Full Version : What have I found?

handfulz28
10-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Crt140011278

cutwater
10-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Crt140011278

Looks like a "Formula-Jr-ish" stern, but isn't CRT the prefix for Cigarette hull numbers?? I'll let the boat sages chime in before I embarrass myself :bonk:

handfulz28
10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Oh yeah, I've dissected the HIN:
Cig Racing Team
14Ft
Prod # 001
December 1978

No embarassment. :biggrin:

VetteLT193
10-21-2008, 03:23 PM
Could this be "THE" 14' donzi that Don dragged around from Donzi to Magnum to Cig and finally sold as a Cig????????

Is it for sale? With limited knowledge so far, me thinks this is one of the ones that needs to be saved :boat: I'm game if the price is right, PM me if you aren't buying please.

superhatz
10-21-2008, 03:37 PM
You should prolly buy it.

chappy
10-21-2008, 04:08 PM
Anyone remember the beginning of "The Cannonball Run"? Everyone running for their rides with their ticket in hand?:biggrin.:

handfulz28
10-21-2008, 04:33 PM
As far as I know it's not for sale but I left a note at the house. I talked to the code inspector to get some homeowner info. Obviously it doesn't seem to be a priority for the homeowner.

I'd like to be the one to actually put it together. But if I don't think I can handle it...well that's why I posted it here...

VetteLT193
10-21-2008, 05:08 PM
If your not interested in it, I have cash in hand..
This would be the second one located BTW...
EDIT: Vette, I missed our post, sorry, not trying to jump past ya...

None taken, you would do a good job with it and are in the area... if it is what we think it is someone needs to restore it.

Do you have more info on the other one found? You seem to have a picture archive the Smithsonian is probably jealous of:worthy:

If it is for sale it would be cool to try a donation project for the Registry. Try to get everyone to put cash and parts up to get it back together then auction it off... or just keep it for events

gold-n-rod
10-21-2008, 07:04 PM
I'd bet it's one of those, "Nope, not for sale, I'm gonna fix her up one day."

Just like most of those sweet rides at www.carsinbarns.com

:garfield:

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 07:12 PM
there were 2 of these???? and how can a 78 be hull number 1 when there is a 75 model???would love to hear thoughts on this one

onesubdrvr
10-21-2008, 07:13 PM
there were 2 of these???? and how can a 78 be hull number 1 when there is a 75 model???would love to hear thoughts on this one

Me seems to remember somethin 'bout somethin similar down yonder where the roads are small, and the bridges are many.

Wayne

handfulz28
10-21-2008, 07:44 PM

Isn't the production number just relative to the year? I thought I read where they didn't necessarily keep track of how many hulls were pulled from a mold?

What I find interesting about this specimen is that it is "unassembled." Notice closely how the deck is not secured to the hull. The dash is undrilled, no hinges on the hatch, transom uncut. The only piece of hardware is the lift ring/bow eye up front.

I think we'd all appreciate a bit of history and photos on what these looked/were supposed to look like.

I'd bet it's one of those, "Nope, not for sale, I'm gonna fix her up one day."
Not funny....I stopped by three houses in this neighborhood today. The first has a red 16 LH drive in the side yard. Lady doesn't answer the door but responds through the window, so I ask:
"would you be interested in having the boat removed?"
NO
"would you consider selling?"
NO
I have to come back on the weekend and see if someone else might be more responsive.

The last house I stopped at has an Action Marine CC from the '80s. I actually asked about this boat almost 10 yrs ago. It hadn't been used in 10 yrs then, and the poor thing hasn't been touched since. Nicest guy, he might have actually remembered me, but still has zero interest in letting go. I never realized the Action has a notched transom.

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 07:58 PM
has far as i know in researching the cig 20 hull numbers ( from the same era)they were kept in total numbers built until sometime in 84 when the HIN formats changed so HIN pre 84 are different from post 84 HIN's is that number stamped or attached to the transom???

13 were built by donzi the best example I know of is Richard Weaver's "blue bird" but we all know the factory did some strange things and as far as I know the story was there was one that was drug around 188 following Don from factory to factory that wouldn't sell i thought we knew where that one was

here is blue bird

mattyboy
10-22-2008, 08:06 AM
the one that followed Don around was finally rigged and sold when He was at Cigarette and the boat has a Cig HIN and is titled as a Cig confirmed by an employee of cig at the time
could this be a plug or has the tansom and other holes be filled in??
would love to hear more on this one :yes::wink:

Scott Pearson
10-22-2008, 06:06 PM
I own the one that was dragged around by Don Aronow. My boat was confirmed by Bing Goode that worked at Cigarette at the time. My hull number is CRT140011277. Its been rigged and was a complete boat.

Nice find...would be nice to get more info on this one.

mike o
10-22-2008, 07:03 PM
the one that followed Don around was finally rigged and sold when He was at Cigarette and the boat has a Cig HIN and is titled as a Cig confirmed by an employee of cig at the time
could this be a plug or has the tansom and other holes be filled in??
would love to hear more on this one :yes::wink::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:...Dont think so. A plug for even that size (14') deck and hull... would be 10 times heavier than a part hull + deck. Not much weight on the trailer as it sits by the Pics. Looks like a virgin un - cut hull and deck. Perfect plug material right there.....

handfulz28
10-22-2008, 08:13 PM
I own the one that was dragged around by Don Aronow. My boat was confirmed by Bing Goode that worked at Cigarette at the time. My hull number is CRT140011277. Its been rigged and was a complete boat.

Nice find...would be nice to get more info on this one.

Still nobody has shared pics yet of a rigged CRT? What is it about December for these things?

BERTRAM BOY
10-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Where did you find the CRT number?

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 08:37 AM
Scott
thought your's was a 75??? I have pics of it somewhere probably on the pc at home i'll post them later tonite i mean there are 13 made maybe a few more that left the mold has pet projects these are still very rare

if they left the mold at the Donzi plant wouldn't they still carry a Donzi hull number???

handfulz28
10-23-2008, 11:24 AM
Where did you find the CRT number?

Standard location, upper right on transom.

BERTRAM BOY
10-23-2008, 12:08 PM
Is it imprinted, or is it a rivited placard?

handfulz28
10-23-2008, 01:10 PM
Imprinted.

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 01:59 PM
Imprinted??? wow now that is a horse of a different color :confused::confused:

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 02:53 PM
here are a few pics I have of Pearson's 14 cig

f_inscreenname
10-23-2008, 03:17 PM
You guys want it?
Here’s how you do it. Call the county on them and report that boat wreak is a health hazard. Maybe throw in a rat story. They then will serve the guy with a notice of either bringing the boat up to compliance (tags, registered etc) or it will have to be removed. He will be willing to sell then.
It’s just how I ended up with the Monza after looking at it for 4 years. I didn’t do it but apparently someone did and the past owner had to get rid of or dump money in it. I happen to be the lucky one stopped by when I did.
Now I know it’s dirty pool to do this but sometimes wrongs things need to be done for the right reason. It’s got a damn tree growing out of it. That’s just one step away from child abuse if you ask me. Now someone go save it. NOW!

f_inscreenname
10-23-2008, 03:18 PM
here are a few pics I have of Pearson's 14 cig

It has rod holders. :biggrin.::biggrin.:

handfulz28
10-23-2008, 03:26 PM
I talked to the code inspector to get some homeowner info.

f_in, perhaps you missed this little detail originally. :biggrin: She joked that he probably wouldn't miss it if it disappeared, but I'd prefer to play the game above the table...for now. I'm going back to the neighborhood this weekend in hopes of finding people at home.

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 03:30 PM
if you can take pics of the HIN

handfulz28
10-23-2008, 03:50 PM
What's strange about the imprint vs placard?

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 03:53 PM
could be me but even with the deck and hull not joined there looks to be too much of a lip there even if it was joined it looks as it the rub rail would need to be and inch and a half or more especially on the bow pic?? but it could be just the angle of the pics the bump out around the cockpit looks to wide to again it could be the angle of the pics wonder if this is an F14 with a home made deck ?????

more pics we want more pics

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 03:57 PM
What's strange about the imprint vs placard?

take pictures of it then we can discuss it in length

Donziweasel
10-23-2008, 04:45 PM
Mattyboy, off topic, but you are right, blue bird is amazing. Never seen it in person. What does it have under the hatch? Very nice pic.

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 07:48 PM
it is what they had as power back then a 120 merc low 50's boat and rides much bigger than it's size

VetteLT193
10-29-2008, 08:58 AM
any updates?

mattyboy
10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Still nobody has shared pics yet of a rigged CRT? What is it about December for these things?
i have shared the pics do you have any updates ????

handfulz28
10-29-2008, 10:34 AM
As of this past Saturday the homeowners hadn't even been there to get my note. I'll have to reach out to the code officer and see if they have a way to reach them. I might just have to buy the whole frigging POS house jst to get the boat. :nilly:

mattyboy
11-05-2008, 04:01 PM
BTTT

any updates????

handfulz28
11-06-2008, 11:32 AM
Can't reach the owner. Pursuing the code enforcement option.

Getting way ahead of myself, but wondering if I can get MSO that would ensure CRT HIN shows on title.

BERTRAM BOY
11-06-2008, 03:53 PM
Can you get and post a clear pic of the HIN ?

handfulz28
11-07-2008, 09:41 AM
Yes, I just need to get back there. Haven't had the time to visit in person and it's 45mins away from home.

handfulz28
11-09-2008, 03:27 PM
more pics we want more pics

take pictures of it then we can discuss it in length

Can you get and post a clear pic of the HIN ?

Pics

handfulz28
11-09-2008, 03:28 PM
More pics

VetteLT193
11-12-2008, 11:06 AM
so, what does this mean? Never rigged 14, but is it a cig?

bertsboat
01-23-2010, 09:21 AM
If you are easy on me (not like the last time) I will post more information. Otherwise I will deleate this post and not return. Last time I posted there was some not so nice things being said. This may be of some interest to some of you and I would like to share it and maybe get some positive input.

Sweet Cheekz
01-23-2010, 09:30 AM
:pimp: More pics

Greg Guimond
01-23-2010, 10:41 AM
Bert,
No worries, I take most of the "wood shed" trips these days from the elders as an eggbeatin rat a tat rascal .......you are safe :)

Now, please do share!

bertsboat
02-22-2010, 07:39 AM
Now were getting red !!

bertsboat
02-22-2010, 02:19 PM
A few of the goodies going into the Baby

mattyboy
02-22-2010, 02:33 PM
this is just me, but after all you went thru and have validated that boat as a Cigarette I would treat it has the only production cigarette 14 popped from the mold at the cig factory.

we know now Don took and unrigged boat and one of molds along with him has he left donzi and populated 188th st with boat companies.

I would make it up as a cigarette not a donzi it has a stamped Cig HIN and I would believe more valuable/resale value/collector value/unique/ as a cig than a donzi

but again that is just me.

good luck with the project, a great piece of Aronow and thunderboat row history you have there

bertsboat
02-22-2010, 02:48 PM
I thought about that too. But I also love the look of the Donzi decals. Maybe I will put Cigarette on one side and Donzi on the other !! See what can happen when great minds come together. Maybe it is a Cigarello ?? Remember those?? A Baby Cigarette.
I am with you about the value. You not saying that Cigarette guys have deeper pockets?
I guess I could change the name depending the outing I am going to attend. Donzi dust off or Poker run in Alex Bay.
Well like the Rabi says "IT WON'T BE LONG NOW" !!

mattyboy
02-22-2010, 04:52 PM
no not about who's got deeper pockets, more about being one of around 16 or 1 of 2 :yes:

bertsboat
02-22-2010, 05:47 PM
So, what about a 1/2 and 1/2? Cigarette on 1 side and Donzi on the other.

Jraysray
02-22-2010, 06:28 PM
Cig would be my choice. Ill even buy the stickers from ya

jl1962
02-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I kinda like the 1/2 and 1/2 idea, but if it's stamped as a Cigarette - well then that's what it is! Go w/ the Cig.

Got any more pix of the '67 Ski Sporter?

bertsboat
02-22-2010, 07:47 PM
I never met a Donzi guy I didn't like. I am not sure I fit in with the Cigarette crowd. I have been in hundreds of boats in my life and for the life of me I can't (wait, I was in a triple engine Mistress 40). Guess I am getting quarter heimers in my old age.
I think I will take a poll. What do you think??
Thanks for the input.
BY THE WAY, WHAT 67 SKI SPORTER ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT???

jl1962
02-22-2010, 08:00 PM
The second picture in thread #52 is a Ski Sporter.

I'm pretty sure :cool:

bertsboat
02-22-2010, 08:08 PM
Now I see what your seeing !! That's what it is !! Thats where I got my color from. I am sorry, you were correct !! thanks for pointing that out.

BUIZILLA
02-22-2010, 08:29 PM
if it's really a Cig

leave it a Cig

kinda like changing your childs sex orientation, because it wasn't born what you wanted..

Walt. H.
02-22-2010, 09:08 PM
if it's really a Cig

leave it a Cig

kinda like changing your childs sex orientation, because it wasn't born what you wanted..
Especially when the Hull I.D. Number says its a Cigarette. :yes:

jl1962
02-23-2010, 05:18 AM
Now I see what your seeing !! That's what it is !! Thats where I got my color from. I am sorry, you were correct !! thanks for pointing that out.

No problem - and it is a great color - for a Donzi or a Cigarette! :wink:

Thanks for posting.

Carl C
02-23-2010, 07:12 AM
Put Cigarette decals on it and sell the Donzi ones. It's not a Donzi! It will have more mystique as a cig and you will still fit in with the Donzi (Aronow) crowd. P.S., I hope you're not serious about Cig on one side and Donzi on the other:confused::boggled:.

VetteLT193
02-23-2010, 07:54 AM
if it is a vote I vote Cig too!

Looking good. I love the classic wheel and throttle.

More pics!

mattyboy
02-23-2010, 08:50 AM
whatever you decide , make sure the decals you put on it are the right time era. again a pet peeve on mine

in the 2 pics you have posted the decals are from different time periods

if you go donzi ( you are saying that the boat is from the 66-67 era not popped from a mold at the cig factory in 78) it should be black donzi on white background like you have shown but with the USA pennant and the union jack pennant or swedish pennant NOT the lion and dolphin.

If you go cigarette ( as it was popped from a mold at the cig factory in 78) it should be the old cig logo. the oval decal with the 1 in black, cigarette in block letters in red and world champions in script. not the current cig logo.

again this is just me, with the decals I would make sure that the red in the decals match the boat. I am having new decals made for my benchseat hornet the previous owner put newer donzi decals( silver donzi no background) on it and they must go. BUT I have decided that the black and white donzi will look out of place on a white and blue boat, so I am having new decal made with the donzi on the white background but with blue to match my stripes instead of black . I will do that also with the blue and gold lion and dolphin logo but I have not decided if that is time period correct yet on my boat.
I have been researching the lion/dolphin logo and it was once believed to be from the early 70's 71-72 ish but has been seen on factory original boats as early as 69-70 . the logo is credited to the Chisholms, when they took over full ownership sometime in 68. another theory is the flag pennants were more an ode to the racing history of Donzi and by full chisholm ownership in 68 Donzi was pretty much out of the race scene and the pennants just faded out . By 68 Don was no longer with them had he moved onto bigger faster race boats like the magnums and the Cary "the Cigarette" and then eventually to Cigarette racing team.

I may go with the union jack instead I am not sure

more info then you needed probably, but just some info that might help you decide on which way to go knowing the history of both

fogducker III
02-23-2010, 09:18 AM
The decal issue aside, it will be very interesting to know how this boat "would" have been rigged? What fittings etc...?? I am sure different makers shared some of the same parts for certain things but other parts would have been maker specific I would think...??

PS. I vote for the original Cig decals on BOTH sides..........:wink:

bertsboat
02-23-2010, 09:42 AM
After you mention this I see that Scott P'S Baby has Cigarette logo's and his is one digit before mine on the vin number. Something to consider for sure !!
I appreciate the input for sure !!
I am overwhelmed here. Mattyboy, the title says 1974. I am sure it is out of the mold. The last boat out of the mold before it was destroyed. Like I said, I owned it in the 80's and it was old but unrigged.
I just like the Donzi stickers. The Cigarette logo represents a whole different cult. I think you would agree with me. I think I am a Donzi guy not a Cigarette guy. Get what I mean??
I will consider what you say for sure. I will drill no holes of place no stickers till I think first.
Keep those ideas coming.
THANKS !!

mattyboy
02-23-2010, 10:07 AM
my best friend is a cig guy we seem to get along for the last 35 years or so ;)

VetteLT193
02-23-2010, 10:15 AM
and there are 'new' Cig guys and 'classic' Cig guys :wink:

penbroke
02-23-2010, 09:15 PM
By the HIN it's a Cigarette. You can put Bayliner stickers on it if you want to but that does not change the fact that it's a Cigarette...

Frank

FISHIN SUCKS
02-24-2010, 04:19 PM
I think I am a Donzi guy not a Cigarette guy. Get what I mean??
[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]THANKS !!
I'm smellin' what you're steppin' in, But if I can speak for the majority here (scary thought:eek:, bear with me everyone), we Donzi people can respect a cool Cigarette for sure and would never turn our nose up at you! Heck, The Awakening Of The Horses (AOTH) Donzi event keeps growing in numbers of 20' Cig's attending, and they are great people:yes:. Not making a direct correlation here, but on our lake a few years back there was a guy who had an Arriva with thru hull exhaust and he put Donzi ZX lettering on the sides:confused:, just didn't look right:bonk:. Granted, you'd be making a lateral, he was making a move up with the lettering of a boat that is.

BTW, love this project you are working on:yes:,

tom

bertsboat
02-24-2010, 05:04 PM
I am working on the Cigarette logo's now. I like the idea. It's growing on me.

Jraysray
02-24-2010, 08:07 PM
I am working on the Cigarette logo's now. I like the idea. It's growing on me.

There ya go, gonna be one sweet unique ride! Keep us posted on the progress.

Carl C
02-24-2010, 09:18 PM
there was a guy who had an Arriva with thru hull exhaust and he put Donzi ZX lettering on the sides:confused:, just didn't look right:bonk:.

Prolly looked better than this:

mattyboy
02-25-2010, 05:48 AM
now there's a real piece of thunderboat row history :rolleyes:

see what happens when you put decals on that don't belong :yes:

thehow33
02-25-2010, 01:09 PM

Those decals give it about 50 more horses.:wink:

FISHIN SUCKS
02-26-2010, 08:13 AM
LMFAO:rlol::rlol:Too funny!!! The funny part is, everybody knows that's not a Donzi, and this clown wit the Arriva was really trying to pull it off! So the pic you put up, is that the prototype Donzi catamaran:confused:? Love the recliner chair option.

Carl C
02-26-2010, 09:08 AM
LMFAO:rlol::rlol:Too funny!!! The funny part is, everybody knows that's not a Donzi, and this clown wit the Arriva was really trying to pull it off! So the pic you put up, is that the prototype Donzi catamaran:confused:? Love the recliner chair option.

That was just some character who lives on Maceday Lake in Michigan. He's a big Donzi fan and came over when he saw me out there. I only had the phone cam.

The Arriva guy should have just removed all insignias and kept everyone guessing if he is ashamed of the make of boat he owns.

FISHIN SUCKS
02-26-2010, 09:14 AM
That was just some character who lives on Maceday Lake in Michigan. He's a big Donzi fan and came over when he saw me out there. I only had the phone cam.

The Arriva guy should have just removed all insignias and kept everyone guessing if he is ashamed of the make of boat he owns.
agreed.