PDA

View Full Version : In tank fuel gauge- Impossible or not?

Mach 5
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
Can any of you experts out there shed some light on the in-tank fuel level gauge that was originally in the 1967 Ski Sporter? I am on a wild goose chase to find a sender, and the data on the blueprint from FMT on the sender is pretty cryptic.
I know I could just put an electric one in the dash, but that would not be original, and I would not be able to put the hour meter in the dash!

I see a few by Tempo on Ebay, but not sure how they might work.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Garry
1967 SS V-drive
Seattle, WA

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 12:49 PM
my fmt 23 dz florida marine tanks oem tank had a site gauge as well as a electronic sender I used both it was nice when i changed my gauges i got an hour meter and tach combined and used the hole for the hour meter for the fuel gauge

it is a nice double check

my site gauge was off alittle as it was not has high ( as close to the glass monocle) as the original tank as i did not foam it in but it could still be read plus the gague it self is different the old one was a twist off cap that was mounted on top of a small 2 inch or so neck in the tank the newer gauge was mounted in a fitting right to the tank and would be less likely to leak

the hour meter can be mounted in the bilge as well

penbroke
10-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Are you looking for a sight gage or a sender for an electric gage? Can you post a picture of what you are trying to replace?

Frank
I may have what you need...

cutwater
10-21-2008, 01:56 PM
Are you looking for a sight gage or a sender for an electric gage? Can you post a picture of what you are trying to replace?

Frank
I may have what you need...

Hi Frank -

If you have a sight gauge for sale and Garry doesn't need it, let me know.

Thanks,
John

Trueser
10-21-2008, 02:15 PM
Search some of my old post on this subject and you will find the company that sells both in one unit.

Morgan's Cloud
10-22-2008, 06:56 AM
You say it's a -67 you're dealing with ... Are you replacing the tank too ? You certainly are at that point in the boat's life ....

Otherwise , I would have thought that the hole is standard and you could just drop in a Tempo replacement .

They sell a range of sight gauge kits , make sure you have the right 'depth' kit for your tank and it should be spot on accurate ... You can't give me an electric fuel gauge in a boat .

Mach 5
10-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I am looking for the sight gauge. The tank is a brand new FMT, and they put an electric sender in it. They also did not have any of the dual purpose electric/ sight combinations in their stock, and Rochester the company that makes them for FMT would only sell me like 6 of them at a time.

Tempo.. Interesting.. adjustable.. more interesting...

Gotta web site for that?!?!

Thanks!

Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle, WA

penbroke
10-22-2008, 08:17 PM
The parts I have are for the original type sight gage with the glass window that screws on like a jar lid. No help for Mach5 as the newer tanks use a different type of mounting.

I "heard" somewhere that the Tempo combo units are NLA. I hope that is wrong. I really like mine...

Cutwater: If what I have will help ya out let me know.

Frank

Trueser
10-22-2008, 09:32 PM
The manf was Rochester gauges out of Texas.

Part number for top sending unit P5712S02539 This is the replacement Not the hole assembly.

Gasget 15-423

You can order this from

E components.
1-800-640-1556

Trueser
10-22-2008, 09:51 PM
http://www.rochestergauges.com/Pages/PDFs/8700.pdf

Correct product.

This is the best working sending unit I have found. And it is what Donzi was using in 1986.

mattyboy
10-23-2008, 08:11 AM
that is the gauge that was in my replacement tank from florida marine tanks in 2003