PDA

View Full Version : Alpha I Water Pump (Gen I)

DonziJon
10-20-2008, 02:03 PM
How long will the water pump in an Alpha last without water? I forgot to turn on the water to the transom fitting. I caught it after about 5 minutes running at 800 RPM and all seems normal. ALMOST. When I hook the hose up to the ear muffs, NO water comes out the pipes. I'm thinking I fried the pump impeller in the drive. The drive is bran new with 16 hours on it without trouble. John

cutwater
10-20-2008, 02:12 PM
Yep. I'd replace it. I blew one after 30 seconds once. Mine was an OMC Cobra drive, but I wouldn't take any chances on an Alpha that's run dry for 5 minutes.

mrfixxall
10-20-2008, 05:39 PM
How long will the water pump in an Alpha last without water? I forgot to turn on the water to the transom fitting. I caught it after about 5 minutes running at 800 RPM and all seems normal. ALMOST. When I hook the hose up to the ear muffs, NO water comes out the pipes. I'm thinking I fried the pump impeller in the drive. The drive is bran new with 16 hours on it without trouble. John

Turn the water on all the way,somtimes you need to throttle it to get the water to suck into the outdrive..they loose their prime when they sit.

i would probably replace it to be safe.

BigGrizzly
10-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Replace it 120 seconds is too long.

BUIZILLA
10-20-2008, 06:05 PM
why were you using the transom fitting instead of the muff's in the first place?

DonziJon
10-20-2008, 06:27 PM
why were you using the transom fitting instead of the muff's in the first place?

Just to warm the engine up to change the oil. That's done now. Next step was to do the Anti-Freeze which I let the drive suck up into the engine via the drive and ear muffs..gravity feed from a colapsible 5 gallon jug.

I've never used the hose on the muffs until today. I only used it to check the drive pump... because I knew drive impellers were "Tender" to running dry. John

DonziJon
10-20-2008, 06:31 PM
Turn the water on all the way,somtimes you need to throttle it to get the water to suck into the outdrive..they loose their prime when they sit.
i would probably replace it to be safe.

Thanks Fix: I'll try that tomorrow morning. I'm even considering sticking the ASS end of the boat in the drink at the launch ramp to see if it pumps. What pisses me off is that I screwed up by forgetting to turn the freakin water on. John

BUIZILLA
10-20-2008, 06:38 PM
why are you force feeding the water downstream from the pump... that'll starve the drive even with the water on..

DonziJon
10-20-2008, 06:54 PM
why are you force feeding the water downstream from the pump... that'll starve the drive even with the water on..

Buiz: Please explain further.

BTW: Your signature...Round and Perfectly Formed..is a really Big Distraction to me. I actually woke up the other night (maybe twice) at maybe 4 AM with that image in my head. I'm an Old Fart (like MOP) and such images can be stressful. :nilly: John

MOP
10-20-2008, 07:22 PM
Alphas must be hose fed through the muffs, the impeller life is very short using the transom fitting only use the transom fitting in the when it is in the water. You can do a pump job it is not very hard, put the drive in forward to align the shift shoe pull the bolts don't forget the one under the zinc! Also pull the P.S oil cooler it may or may not have rubber junk in it, you have a good idea of how much junk when you drop the lower. While you are going through this drain everything in case of a cold night, and don't forget to remove the Tstat or you will have next to nothing in the block when you shoot the anti freeze to it.

Phil

DonziJon
10-21-2008, 12:16 PM
Splashed the rear end of the boat this morning at the launch ramp. No water discharge at all. Looks like the pump is "Poop". Total meltdown. This is way too much fun. :wrench: John

VetteLT193
10-21-2008, 12:24 PM
Splashed the rear end of the boat this morning at the launch ramp. No water discharge at all. Looks like the pump is "Poop". Total meltdown. This is way too much fun. :wrench: John

It's an easy job... well, the first 75% of it is easy. putting the lower back on is a total PITA though.

cutwater
10-21-2008, 12:27 PM
It's an easy job... well, the first 75% of it is easy. putting the lower back on is a total PITA though.

You should get an OMC Cobra drive... takes me about 3.5 minutes to change mine :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

VetteLT193
10-21-2008, 12:34 PM
You should get an OMC Cobra drive... takes me about 3.5 minutes to change mine :biggrin.: :biggrin.: :biggrin.:

I can't argue with that :nilly:

DonziJon
10-21-2008, 06:09 PM

I seriously considered doing it myself. I'm a Big DIY person. I have the Manual. It didn't look that hard. However:... You never know when the PITA Factor is going to pop up. I got a quote from my local dealer to do the job. (The guy I bought the drive from last October). The labor was only $80. I'll let them do it. :yes: John

MOP
10-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!! Not bad at all, take you time you will not fail, when putting it back pay attention to the water tube. The manual dies a decent job of getting you through it.