PDA

View Full Version : Another paint question.

yeller
10-18-2008, 10:18 PM
I want to get the stripe done on my deck and was talking to a painter yesterday. He does incredible work, but did not want to do my boat unless he was allowed to paint the entire deck. He said he couldn't warranty his work unless he could prime the area to be painted, so any areas that were not getting a base coat and only clear, couldn't be primed.

Donzi painted the stripe on my deck by laying the base coat and then clear coating about 1/4" past the base coat. The painter said the 1/4" area is what he couldn't warranty. Because that area can't be primed, he said it is susceptible to separating (or peeling) away from the gel.

I know this guy wasn't just saying this to try and "up-sell" me as I've often heard on here and other sites that you shouldn't clear gel as it may eventually peel off.
I'm not going to paint the entire deck and I can't use a single stage paint, so those are not options.

So my question is.....what does Donzi and other companies do. Do they just do it anyway and figure it'll last longer than the warranty period?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-19-2008, 01:40 AM
I want to get the stripe done on my deck and was talking to a painter yesterday. He does incredible work, but did not want to do my boat unless he was allowed to paint the entire deck. He said he couldn't warranty his work unless he could prime the area to be painted, so any areas that were not getting a base coat and only clear, couldn't be primed.

Donzi painted the stripe on my deck by laying the base coat and then clear coating about 1/4" past the base coat. The painter said the 1/4" area is what he couldn't warranty. Because that area can't be primed, he said it is susceptible to separating (or peeling) away from the gel.

I know this guy wasn't just saying this to try and "up-sell" me as I've often heard on here and other sites that you shouldn't clear gel as it may eventually peel off.
I'm not going to paint the entire deck and I can't use a single stage paint, so those are not options.

So my question is.....what does Donzi and other companies do. Do they just do it anyway and figure it'll last longer than the warranty period?

I fail to see why your painter could not repeat the method you say Donzi used. Does he mean true primer paint or primering as in fine sanding the area to be painted? The only reason I can see to use a base coat clear coat method would be to help feather in the edges of the center stripe so that there will not be the abrupt paint edge, but I think you will see a difference in gloss where the clear coat ends and the gelcoat begins even after compunding. Didn't Donzi use a tape stripe on each side of the center stripe on later boats? Why not use Imron, Alwgrip or even Chroma One and wet sand the edges and compound it down to the least amount of an edge to the stripe as possible while still covering the underlying area? Just my thought, Bill

BlownCrewCab
10-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Gel Coat is a Great primer. theres nothing better to paint over. as said earlier Imron or awlgrip are excellant choices that don't need clear. if the painter pulls the tape while the paint is still wet the hard edge will be greatly reduced and wont even need buffing. make sure it's sanded good right up to the tape and you'll never have a problem.

His (your painters) concern may be that he can't warantee if he paints over the existing paint cause he doesnt' know the prep work under it. justifiable I guess. I wouln't let him paint the whole deck if it's still good looking gel, just the stripe.

yeller
10-19-2008, 01:31 PM
Didn't Donzi use a tape stripe on each side of the center stripe on later boats? They did pinstripe on the edge of my center stripe and then cleared over the entire thing (center stripe and pinstripe).
The painter wants to use a (paint) primer that helps aid the paint adhesion to the gel. Anywhere that there is clear coat only, he won't be able to use the primer.
I want to use a metal-flake paint (not metallic), hence the need for a base/clear type.

The only reason I can see to use a base coat clear coat method would be to help feather in the edges of the center stripe so that there will not be the abrupt paint edge, but I think you will see a difference in gloss where the clear coat ends and the gelcoat beginsThis is exactly how my stripe is. The clear was applied 1/4" past the base coat and has been feathered to make the paint edge less noticeable. This was done for the stripe and prop logo on the engine hatch. As my yellow gel has faded, it is definitely brighter where it has been clear coated. For the purpose of this thread, this difference isn't a concern of mine.

His (your painters) concern may be that he can't warantee if he paints over the existing paint cause he doesnt' know the prep work under it.He will be painting directly on new gel.

Gel Coat is a Great primer. theres nothing better to paint over.But what about clear only. I have always heard clear coat alone is not a good idea; that it should have a base coat underneath for proper adhesion. If this is true, I am back to my original question of how do the factory boat builders get away with it? (I'm not thinking about clearing the whole deck, I will only have a 1/4" of clear on either side of the stripe, as factory done).

VetteLT193
10-19-2008, 01:36 PM
Yes, you can clear gel. it has been done successfully many times. it has also been done poorly many times.

I have 2 questions...

What kind of paint?

Why not just spray the whole deck?

Is your painter a boat painter or an automotive painter?

yeller
10-19-2008, 01:49 PM
Yes, you can clear gel. See, that goes against everything I've heard before

What kind of paint?At this point...whatever I want.

Why not just spray the whole deck? Although I don't want to paint the whole deck, I wouldn't mind clearing the whole thing, but as I've said before, I've always heard that's a no-no.

Is your painter a boat painter or an automotive painter?Both. Currently he does mostly high end motorcyles, but can and does do boats.

98shovel
10-19-2008, 03:53 PM
yeller
as said on nw offshore I own a custom paint shop and have done many boats complete and repairs.
some guys just dont want to do what they dont know
if he does nothing but completes then he is afraid of doing the job.
i would be more than willing to help you out but dont want to play paint a boat over the internet.
if you would like the help call me any time I have striped many boats
patrick
253-376-0133

VetteLT193
10-20-2008, 09:30 AM
Both. Currently he does mostly high end motorcyles, but can and does do boats.

Find someone who exclusively or almost exclusively paints boats. The paint and product in general is really different.

As far as clearing over gel, again it can and has been done... it isn't done very often because by the time you do all the prep work it's pretty ridiculous to not get the added benefit of paint below the clear (in most cases).