PDA

View Full Version : Mercruiser asthetics......

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 12:36 PM
On the "Phenomena" thread, someone posted an OMC Donzi w/ Small Black Ford. I really liked the look of the stock OMC engine. Pic below. I have owner many boats with Mercruisers. They all look the same, black, black and black, unless you had a Scorpion or Merc Racing.

The point is, you get the same damn looking engine in a Bayliner as you do a Donzi. I think it would be cool if Merc offered some type of trim package to dress the engine a little. I know there is plenty of aftermarket stuff and that you can powder coat, chrome or paint stuff yourself, but I would pay a little more to have some accents that match my boat or sets the engine a little apart from a Bayliner.

The stock engine below has just a few small details which really make it stand out nice. Orange plug wires, power steering cap, oil dipstick, and carb cowling all really look nice and sets the engine apart IMO. It is a nice looking power plant. Just a though.

osur866
10-18-2008, 12:47 PM
That's why you change the exhaust and put on a pretty polished whipple:biggrin.: Steve

BUIZILLA
10-18-2008, 12:58 PM
IMO, OMC does a far better packaging job than Merc does, Volvo is also better than Merc... just my .02

DW, that could be a nice package right there, can't tell if it's the King hump outdrive though.. it sure looks clean

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 01:06 PM
It's a King. And I agree 100% that it is a nice package and OMC did a better job of packaging thier power plants. Seen some nice ones. The silly thing is that it really doesn't take much, just a few minor details really shows the engine.

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 01:09 PM
Another one, not as good looking as the first one, but still looks better than a Merc IMO.

Volvo is also better than Merc

I also agree with this, especailly thier drives. Look a hell of a lot more modern than Merc. Also, the Volvo engines are a little cheaper than comparable Mercs

onesubdrvr
10-18-2008, 02:15 PM
IMO, OMC does a far better packaging job than Merc does, Volvo is also better than Merc... just my .02

DW, that could be a nice package right there, can't tell if it's the King hump outdrive though.. it sure looks clean

hear here!!

Wayne

DonziChris
10-18-2008, 02:17 PM
DW

I had a chris craft made 1993 18 with the 351 carb engine, with the cone clutch king drive. This was a great boat with no problems. In some ways I felt it was better built than my 1994 AMH built 16. The omc built boats seem to go for less money also. If you come across a nice omc cone clutch drive boat, I would say go for it, Just my 2 cents.

Chris

onesubdrvr
10-18-2008, 02:20 PM
DW

I had a chris craft made 1993 18 with the 351 carb engine, with the cone clutch king drive. This was a great boat with no problems. In some ways I felt it was better built than my 1994 AMH built 16. The omc built boats seem to go for less money also. If you come across a nice omc cone clutch drive boat, I would say go for it, Just my 2 cents.

Chris
Again, hear here!!

AWayne

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 02:34 PM
Chris,
I agree. The King's with OMC power were damn nice packages. It is really really HARD to grenade a King if maintained right. Looked more modern than a comparable new Merc drive also.

Why did you get rid of the 1993 18 and go to a 1994 16? Just curious.

DonziChris
10-18-2008, 02:43 PM
DW

I sold my 18 last winter for a larger boat. Bought a 211 liberator, nice boat but not a donzi. Just sold the liberator, looking for older 22 donzi. Bought the 18 not running for a very good price, Hope to do the same, only this time with a 22.

Take care Chris

DonziChris
10-18-2008, 03:08 PM
DW

I had the 16 first then the 18, the 16 was a 1994 but had been repowered with a 2002 fuel injected 220 h.p. merc motor. I drove from michigan to california to pick up the 16. I must be crazy. Hit the buy now button on ebay, when I saw the buy now price. John the 18 omc boat in Wash looks to be in very nice shape ?

Chris

MOP
10-18-2008, 03:48 PM
I was an OMC/Volvo tech for a lot of years, if OMC had dumped the electric shift drives a few years earlier ans paired up with Volvo sooner they would have stolen a ton of Merc biz. Merc does not even hold a second place to the OMC/Volvo drives! Doc and a few others have put some decent power to the Kings with very little trouble, have not heard of any of them blowing a gear set. We all know the Merc's like to grenade!!! One reason I run a Brovo X diesel drive behind my 383 it should not blow that for awhile. The Ford engines did very well in the marine environment, they are just a little short on hop up goodies. That being said put a decent set of heads and a cam in a Ford it will run with the best of them.

Phil

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Phil, I am beginning to think I may head down that path. I'm a Ford guy anyway at heart. For performance, was thinking of going with a Whipple with mild boost. The 351 should handle it with only 250 hours.

BTW, is that why the Volvo SX and Douprop drives look so similar to the King?

BUIZILLA
10-18-2008, 03:55 PM
no Whipple for the 351...

Pcharge or no charge.. if they even have the brackets

which I doubt

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 04:18 PM
What about this one? Just a general one for SB, not make specific. Looks like the one I am looking at is a carbed 351, should work. What do you think Jim?

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1164

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 04:22 PM
I would prefer a Whipple over a Procharger. If I have to go Procharger, then I can fabricate the brackets in my shop.

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 09:42 AM
Can anyone tell me if that Whipple would work on a 1993 OMC Ford Carbed 351?

http://www.whipplesuperchargers.com/product.asp?ProdID=1164

BUIZILLA
10-19-2008, 09:45 AM
don't see why not, but the bracket fabrication will be a huge challenge... if it was an injected 351, you MAYBE could use a Kenne Bell Lightning or Expedition Whipple kit..

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 09:48 AM
Thanks Jim. Think I should call Whipple and see if they have a manifold and brackets for the 351?

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 09:56 AM
Wonder what a Whipple AND a set of GT-40 heads would do to that engine.

mattyboy
10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
sorry I am a big Ford fan but you'd be better off with chevy in front of the omc alot of money to get a ford charged have you thought about what you'll do for exhausts???

olredalert
10-19-2008, 10:32 AM
-----I understand your desire to pressurize (altitude), but you could also go the huge cubes route. I believe you can go as big as 434 cubes with a 351, and maybe some body can tell us if you can go bigger. You wouldnt have the added heat of the supercharger then or any of the added stress an SC adds either..........Bill S

Conquistador_del_mar
10-19-2008, 11:39 AM
-----I understand your desire to pressurize (altitude), but you could also go the huge cubes route. I believe you can go as big as 434 cubes with a 351, and maybe some body can tell us if you can go bigger. You wouldnt have the added heat of the supercharger then or any of the added stress an SC adds either..........Bill S

I don't know exactly how many cubic inches you can get out of a bored and stroked Ford 351, but I have one in my Cobra that was race built to 427CID and makes 489HP on the dyno with very respectable torque and it only needs 93 octane. Out of curiousity, can you go to higher compression ratios at higher altitudes since the air is less dense? Bill

BUIZILLA
10-19-2008, 02:51 PM
look up Jon Kaase and see what he's done to 351 derivetives, guy wins the horsepower awards every year it seems....pure Ford genius...

The Hedgehog
10-19-2008, 02:56 PM
Wonder what a Whipple AND a set of GT-40 heads would do to that engine.

I think it would do big things. It would be a hard project and you would probably have times where you just want to throw it all in the lake. Sounds like something I would try to pull off.

SilverBack
10-19-2008, 03:41 PM
Hedgehog...Don't mess him up like you did me!!! I have been working on my boat all year and riding in a Chris Craft deck boat!:nilly::nilly:

Buiz tried to tell me but I am too hard headed!! Right now you can find engines or boats that are sooooooo cheap I would not even think about trying to to build one up. Just my 2 cents worth. I am not trying to rain on your parade but there is the easy way and the hard way!!:confused::confused:

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 06:55 PM
All food for thought. Senator, I agree, I would rather have a SBC. More avialable upgrades, parts, service, etc.....

If I was going to keep it stock, it would be a nice power plant. I think I will call Whipple tommorrow and see what they ahve to say before going any further.

As far as NA vs. SC, even a big hp NA engine will fall off much harder at altitude than a SC one. For example, lets say you have a NA 500 hp engine, and a 500 hp SC engine, the NA will take a much bigger beating on power loss at altitude than the SC one. I know many of you don't like SC and some even feel it is "cheating". Forced induction is a really good alternative to power loss at altitude. Many of you run a 496 mag @425 hp. Come up here and you lose 90HP off the bat! Now your at 335. Trust me, it sucks.

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 07:29 PM
WHat about the 5.4 with a Roush Stage 2 if we are talkin' modular? Wonder if Boo Boo would miss the engine out of her Expedition LOL

Ed Donnelly
10-19-2008, 07:35 PM
Wouldn't hurt to call Drew Marine (the shotgun exhaust people)

They make some serious Ford horsepower..
they are in Spokan? Washington......Ed

BUIZILLA
10-19-2008, 08:00 PM
look up Jon Kaase and see what he's done to 351 derivetives, guy wins the horsepower awards every year it seems....pure Ford genius... pay attention to his Cleveland cyl heads

http://www.jonkaaseracingengines.com/