PDA

View Full Version : Any members contractors......

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 05:56 PM
Just curious. I was wondering if the price of building materials has gone up or down in the last 4 months. I would think down due to lack of new house construction. My contractor is trying to say up. Not sure I believe him.

Lenny
10-16-2008, 07:53 PM
Here, (in Canada) it has been up for a long time.

I buy particle board, Melamine, laminates, plywood, OSB, by the semi load. It has always gone North, month to month.

Bubba Dog
10-16-2008, 08:19 PM
Building materials are up. Partially do to rising fuel costs and also a wicked hurricane season. Supply and demand. The good news is, because of the credit crisis, there are alot of contractors who are hungry, it's a great time to build from that perspective.

ky-donzi
10-16-2008, 09:29 PM
My father is a contractor........roofing shingles in Ky have went thru the roof (bad pun) About this time last year a sq of dimentional shingles (what most people use) were 45.00, they now are in the 80's a sq. This is due to the tar used in the shingle,, also shipping...... Lumber is up too, some of this might relax since oil is droping.. but i doubt it will return to the prevous price.... things never do!!

MOP
10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
My son in law is in the custom copper biz, does all kinds of very high end work. Lead coat, plain copper and stainless have gone up over 5 times of what it was since the war and gas issues.

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Damn, guess I was wrong about him. I was basically refering to lumber. I would think with the lack of new homes being built that a surplus existed. If that had been the case, then I would have figured prices dropping to clear inventory. Thanks for the heads up.

vonkamp
10-17-2008, 08:37 AM
As the great Ronald Reagan once said " Trust but verify". :biggrin.:

f_inscreenname
10-17-2008, 01:59 PM
Have you seen the price of sheetrock at HD latley?:confused: