PDA

View Full Version : GCarter......

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 11:35 AM
George,
Need some water softner advice. My plumber is trying to charge me 1600.00 for a water softner installed. I think this is high. What do you think? ALready 48,000.00 over budget.

boxy
10-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Tough call without knowing exactly what he is trying to treat in your water.....
My well has lots of minerals, and lots of iron, and I think I am at least $1600 into a system, especially if you count the reverse osmosis filter that makes the ice cube's all clear and shiny. :D

gcarter
10-16-2008, 01:24 PM
I wouldn't do anything for $1600.00, that's way too low. You do want it to last for more than 4 or 5 years, don't you?
Also, the cheap ones will kill you on salt use.
Look at Kinetico.com and put your zip code in. Find your local dealer.
If there isn't one, let me know.
But, really, everyone is over budget at this point. That's just life. Expect to pay $3000-$4,500 for a decent system that will last you 20 plus years and not require constant maintenance.
Treating water is a much harsher environment for an appliance than buying a refrigerator and occasionally changing a light bulb.

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
George and Steve, I know absolutly nothing about them. I know our water is well water and hard as hell. I know how they work, but nothing about how much they cost. If you think that is a good deal, I will run with it. I will get the make and model from my plumber. Maybe you can tell me if it is a quality unit or not. Thanks to both of you.