PDA

View Full Version : Phenomena........

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 07:50 AM
I think this is an appropriate area for this thread. I have looked at ebay, craigslist and other boat for sale sights for years looking at boats for sale. Now that I am in the market for an 18, I do this even more often.

With the economy the way it is, I would expect people to be selling off luxury items at an alarming rate. I would also think some great deals would be had. I think a different phenomena is occuring.

I have not seen a new listing for an 18 in weeks. I use to see them all the time. I think people know they can't get crap for thier boats and are simply holding on to them. Not upgrading, not selling, just holding on. I am in that catagory. Threw my 16 on ebay twice and couldn't even get a 10,000.00 bid on a 1997 with a new engine in great condition. Going to buy an 18, but keep the 16 till things tunr around.

onesubdrvr
10-16-2008, 07:56 AM
I agree with you,

I think had this been a more gradual decline, you would have seen what you were expecting, but because of the bouncing all over the place of the market, people are very unsure, and don't want to get slammed on the sale.

But, take a look at the gas prices that rose steadily (rapidly but not as fast as the market is fluctuating), and people started dumping off their SUV's and trucks / etc. in favor of a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle.

There will be bargains out there because of this mess, but they will come and go quickly, and not be as many of them (IMO)

Wayne

chappy
10-16-2008, 08:03 AM
I'm spotting some pretty good deals on 22's on boat trader, if anyone's in the market.

mattyboy
10-16-2008, 08:33 AM
Sorry guys I must be looking in different areas the market is abundant with 18's and 22's some of which are a little steep or over priced mainly the 18's but that will change after the long hard winter but there are some great deals on for around 20k for a late model great shape 22's not to mention the more unique one's like the minx ,doral's, gt's and hornet's

and DON"T ask I don't kiss and tell I got burned once to often I am in the market for a boat anyone who is in the market is the competition,anyone bidding on ebay is the competition sorry i don't post look what i found for sale the less that know the better, now when I am not in the market I'd be glad to help anyone of my donzi family

I have been searching since april and I tracked boats some have sold some have not, some are not advertised anymore but are still for sale

when the economy tanks shortly the market will change alot more toys will be for sale and prices will drop, so for the hard times ahead I have money stashed away for a deal or to survive if things go really south , firewood to keep warm and a full cupboard ;)

txtaz
10-16-2008, 08:37 AM
IMO, just wait. Deals will be had and many. The credit market is tight and will remain so and then comes the cash crunch. That's when you will see the luxury items going up for sale.

Da Taz<---Boat vs stock or cash? Tough question.

txtaz
10-16-2008, 08:41 AM
BTW DW, I stole your avatare to use somewhere. It is too cool.:cool:

Da Taz

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 09:01 AM
I have been looking at craigshelper, boattrader, ebay, and about 10 other boat for sale sites. Just not much new listings. Same one's that are aging. I actually have a member looking at one today for me.

I feel I "rushed" into my 16. Going to be more picky as I know much more now than I did 3 years ago about what I want.

Matty, you have been at this a lot longer than I have and are in a "Donzi" area being close to Lake George. I am sure you have other resouces than me. If you have seen any you have decided to pass on, I would like to take a look, especailly at Hornet II's and III's as well as 18's.

Not in any rush, got all winter. I am sure "my" boat will come up for sale somewhere and somehow.

Taz, no sweat.:biggrin.:

osur866
10-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Theres a lightly used one with 37 hours on OSO an 08' I believe. Steve

roadtrip se
10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
Many of you know that I have dabbled in brokering these and other performance boats in the past, so I have a unique perspective on the market from past experience. Even with current economic conditions, I doubt things have changed much.

So the $60,000 question, are we talking about "buying" a boat or just trying to "steal" one?

I was always amazed about how many deals fell apart over less than a $1000 distance between buyer and seller. Right boat for the buyer, right time for the seller to let go. No deal.

There are so many more factors involved other than just a great price. You get what you pay for every time, plus some.

-A retired boat broker-

Anon

bootdaddy
10-16-2008, 04:11 PM
I think Mattyboy makes a great point...I always wonder if the person positng the look what I found boat for sale is even in the market...

Not sure why the Hornet with big power has not sold - I love that boat! I am trying to get my friend to bite and he wants it bad but just has to wait a bit longer on the market...

There are boats out there if you want to dig around and I also am amazed when a deal breaks down over small potatoes on principal!...everyone wants a good deal but I know few people who buy for "investment" purposes...for me buying boats is an emotional decision...lucky I have a good shrink! :biggrin.:

roadtrip se
10-16-2008, 04:57 PM
Just for giggles:

We just sold Jill's 2002 18 Scorpion. This boat with a 350 shows a NADA book of $16,090 in average condition. Out of respect for the new owner, I am not going to state what it did sell for, but it was double digit percentages over the NADA number and you know what? The new owner feels like he got a heck'uva a boat at a fair deal and the entire transaction took three days from start to finish. This guy had been "shopping the market", but when he saw what he wanted, he came and got it! Everybody is happy.

My 2001 22 with a 502 appraises at $22,595 which wouldn't even put you in the same area code with me, should I chose to sell it. Double that up and we might be talking about a starting point for a conversation, but not likely.

One notable listing I had during my broker days was a 1996 Blackhawk LE with 26 hours. I had it listed for a year with no bites.
Then all of a sudden, I had three buyers on it. It went for $3-4K MORE than the asking price and the guy who has it still loves it last time I checked. BTW, the book and the market met nothing on this transaction.

Point I am trying to make, and probably painfully so to any of you brave enough to read this, is it isn't about the market, it's about what is for sale, what you want, and what you can realistically afford. The right one will come along and if you really think it fits the bill, step up and go get it! Somebody will...

fogducker III
10-16-2008, 05:05 PM
I realize people need a place to start when buying a boat, but in my opinion NADA sucks.......... WAY out on prices for most things and do not take into account a lot of other things.

From what I gather NADA is like the vehicle "Blue Book" here in Canada and is basically for wholesale used sales guys............:rolleyes:

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 05:29 PM
Steve, saw that one, too rich for me right now. Thanks for looking for me though.

The economy chitstorm is just now really starting to affect people. I know I am putting some stuff I was going to buy on the back burner and even thinking of selling my prized Pinzguaer 6x6 to help with finainces. 3 months ago you could have had it from my cold dead hands.

Point is, people will be forced to seell luxury items, including boats, becuase of individual financial situations. They are the first things to go. Also, there will be repo's as well. While I would never wish hardships on anyone, but this is simply a buyers market. In the next few months, you will probably see a gluttony of luxury items come on the market by individuals and bank repo's. There will be good deals, maybe some of the best this decade.

Boating is over for the season here. I am content to wait for the right boat at the right price to show up. It will.

Today a member went and looked at one for me. He gave me a damn good opinion on a used 18. List is 14,000.00. I am going to try 9,000.00 based on his report. To that member, thank you once again for taking time out of your day to help me. I owe you one and you are a great asset to this community.

handfulz28
10-16-2008, 05:45 PM
I think Mattyboy makes a great point...I always wonder if the person positng the look what I found boat for sale is even in the market...

I know I post boats I come across because I foolishly believe someone might be looking and might not have come across it. But as has been pointed out, those that are seriously looking have already found what's out there. The idea that someone not truly looking for a boat might compromise a deal by posting a For Sale link and bring more competition in is kind of weak. Serious buyers are actively searching all sources. Hell, it seems some people know about boats that are for sale, before the actual boat owner does. :biggrin:

I also post sometimes just to get info on the boat. Maybe someone here on the board knows something and will comment good or bad. I've been "looking at" Donzis for two years now. At first I craved a 22C, then a Minx, then the Hornet, recently the 16 O/B had my attention, and now I'm back to Hornets. Especially for the Hornets and OB boats, there isn't as much info on the board; as much a result of low production numbers probably. So for me it's also a bit of a learning experience.

As for the red Hornet, it's not original color, motor may not be what everyone wants, no trailer, and only goes backwards right now. It's fairly priced for someone that wants a red Donzi that floats and runs and hopefully needs relatively minor effort to enjoy the water.

Donzi Racer
10-16-2008, 07:00 PM
Well said on the posting of Donzi's for Sale. It is informative, a way to keep up with value, and lets interested people know. When I finally found this website not too many years ago, I thought I was in heaven. You see I have been around Donzi's for over 40 years and sold a 16 OB in 1977. I looked for 10 years for a V-8 Donzi after that sell. I saw a total of TWO Donzi's for sale in 10 years. That is how few good used Donzi's were around the Great state of Alabama in that decade. I am sure there were many Donzi's for sale during that period, but I just could not seem to find them. With ebay, craigslist, Donzi Registry, the internet in general, and finally great Donzi friends telling other Donzi enthusiast about these boats, they are so much easier to find and buy now. That is also why we had 2 Donzis in the first 10 years and 9 more in the last 10 years. Man I do love the old ones. All 20 ft & smaller until this year we did get our 1st 22.
Donziweasel, if you don't mind me asking, what is your perfect 18 Donzi? Years, shape, colors, and $ range. I do see a lot of them now living in Florida. They are everywhere down here. Tom just my 2c

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 07:15 PM
Hmmmmm......My perfect Donzi? I have a few criterea, but alot of it is kinda, I'll know when I see it. Know what I mean? You see that one and it just seems to call to you "buy me". You know you found "your" Donzi.

Seriously, I am in the market for an 18, 1990's vintage, decent shape, not red (Boo Boo criterea actually), Bravo would be nice, engine in good shape as I want it to be a good candidate for SCing it to compensate for altitude.

On the other hand, over the years, I have been interested in GT-21's, Hornet II's, III's and if I could ever find one, a Critter (yeah right:biggrin.:). I am into kinda unique projects. I am restoring a 1969 Bronco, own a 1974 Pinzgauer 6x6 that I am goin to restore, etc.... I think finding an above mentioned boat in rough shape and restoring it is the ultimate way to pay homage to a company that has given many of us much pleasure. These boats were never made in the numbers of the 16, 18, and 22's. I think owning one of these as well as a late model 18 would be my dream. I would love to find a good candidate in the above mentioned models in the next year as well because when the Lazy P is done, I will have a great shop to restore one of these rarer Donzi's. Plus, with twins on the way, I am going to need a project to keep my sanity!:biggrin.:

Donzi Racer, thanks for your interest. I love reading your stories, especailly about the 16 outboard and the different engines. You are obviously a serious enthusiast and an asset to this board IMHO. Also nice to see some of your family following in your foot steps.

Donzi Racer
10-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Hmmmmm......My perfect Donzi? I have a few criterea, but alot of it is kinda, I'll know when I see it. Know what I mean? You see that one and it just seems to call to you "buy me". You know you found "your" Donzi.

Seriously, I am in the market for an 18, 1990's vintage, decent shape, not red (Boo Boo criterea actually), Bravo would be nice, engine in good shape as I want it to be a good candidate for SCing it to compensate for altitude.

On the other hand, over the years, I have been interested in GT-21's, Hornet II's, III's and if I could ever find one, a Critter (yeah right:biggrin.:). I am into kinda unique projects. I am restoring a 1969 Bronco, own a 1974 Pinzgauer 6x6 that I am goin to restore, etc.... I think finding an above mentioned boat in rough shape and restoring it is the ultimate way to pay homage to a company that has given many of us much pleasure. These boats were never made in the numbers of the 16, 18, and 22's. I think owning one of these as well as a late model 18 would be my dream. I would love to find a good candidate in the above mentioned models in the next year as well because when the Lazy P is done, I will have a great shop to restore one of these rarer Donzi's. Plus, with twins on the way, I am going to need a project to keep my sanity!:biggrin.:

Donzi Racer, thanks for your interest. I love reading your stories, especailly about the 16 outboard and the different engines. You are obviously a serious enthusiast and an asset to this board IMHO.

Thanks for the kind words & as you can usually see, I love to talk. ha ha I just Love Donzi's, which is one of my problems when you said the boat will talk to you about buy me, as you can see, a lot of Donzi's say that to me. ha ha Will definitely keep my ears and eyes open for you. Tom

roadtrip se
10-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Today a member went and looked at one for me. He gave me a damn good opinion on a used 18. List is 14,000.00. I am going to try 9,000.00 based on his report. To that member, thank you once again for taking time out of your day to help me. I owe you one and you are a great asset to this community.

So what do you get with a true distress sale?

If somebody is fire selling their boat:

1) Did it get all of the maintenance it was supposed to get this season?
2) Was it properly washed and flushed if run in salt?
3) Was it safely covered and tucked away in storage after each use or left to sit in the sun and rain?
4) Was the trailer properly greased and tires aired?
5) Or did you just inherit somebody's growing list of problems?

I don't begrudge anybody looking for a great deal, BUT...

As for the offer at 65% of the asking price, the way I look at it Jon is you just wasted the seller's and the generous board member's time if the low ball offer gets turned down. I have looked at several boats for people here, but this is the reason why I always ask if they have a tenative deal made based on the boat meeting the expected condition of the advertisement.

I just followed this tact when I asked MP to go inspect a used Formula for me.
It turned out to be a disaster, but had the boat met inspection I would have bought it making allowances for any issues that could be addressed. The inspection in my opinion should be the checkpoint, not the weapon to beat up a seller.

roadtrip se
10-16-2008, 09:22 PM
I guess that board member must have a lot extra time on his hands and sounds very generous in allowing others to use it with no commitment.

I look forward to watching the professional shoppers here continue to miss out on boats and then whine about it.

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 09:37 PM
I guess that board member must have a lot extra time on his hands and sounds very generous in allowing others to use it with no commitment.
Todd, if someone asked you to look at a boat in your area I guess you are saying to hell with them unless they have a "tentative deal". Pretty crappy man. I thought we all were here to help each other when in need. I guess you aren't. I would inspect a boat for anyone.

I look forward to watching the professional shoppers here continue to miss out on boats and then whine about it.
Don't know what your problem is, but I was working when the auction ended. I also posted in that thread I was cool with it. Members even tried to get me fired up and all I said was it was all good.

As for the offer at 65% of the asking price, the way I look at it Jon is you just wasted the seller's and the generous board member's time if the low ball offer gets turned down. I have looked at several boats for people here, but this is the reason why I always ask if they have a tenative deal made based on the boat meeting the expected condition of the advertisement.
I didn't "waste" anyone's time. Niether the owner or broker were there. Once agian, don't know what the hell your problem is tonight. The price I am offering is based on comparable models in that price range. The boat is not worth 14,000.00, it is worth 9000.00 in my opinion and the other members opinion.

The inspection in my opinion should be the checkpoint, not the weapon to beat up a seller.
DEAD WRONG- An inspection is a negotiating starting point. You negotiate based on what you feel an inspection shows to you what you believe the boat is worth. To imply I am using this inspection is a weapon is wrong Todd.

Here endeth the lesson.

Todd, I like you, but you need to chill instead of attacking me for trying to buy a damn boat.

Have you been drinking tonight?

Ahhh, screw it, arguing with you is not worth it tonight. I am going to be a father and I really don't care what you have to say right now.

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 09:41 PM
LOL, hmm, lets see: Short trip on a beautiful South Florida day to see Donzi @ marina on the water that serves lunch: $7.86..

Discovery of a certain, quite rare cat thats for sale: Priceless

Trust me, that is a trip I would have loved to have taken.

roadtrip se
10-16-2008, 09:54 PM
And we have been on different sides of the negotiating coin before friend.
Remember, the truck buying incident?

I would do business differently, but that is my style. Obviously different than your approach.

I HAVE done a bunch of things for folks here, so you are over the line on that one. Driving all over the midwest looking at boats for folks isn't one of them, sorry.

No drinking tonight, but it is sounding better now...

Ironically, the same inspector was involved in both of our deals, so if it doesn't bother him and he was okay with escaping from the office to go do this for you, then no harm, no foul.

I stand by what I said and whatever happened to a little spirited debate?

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 10:01 PM
Damn right I remember the truck buying incident. One dealer screwed with me and lost a potentially 1,000,000.00 account. Another one treated me right and got it. I have ordered 6 vehicles from him in the last 6 months.

If somebody is fire selling their boat

This is how far off you are, boats been for sale for 6 months.

I HAVE done a bunch of things for folks here, so you are over the line on that one. Driving all over the midwest looking at boats for folks isn't one of them, sorry.

I know you have, one of the reasons I like you. This particular member was 5 minutes away at the time.

As stated, he also found a really rare boat and I think had a good time.

My estimate on the boat was off of over 40 pictures he took for me and his very detailed description. We discussed it in length and are still discussing it.

Why do you seem upset with offering him what the boat is worth? Would you pay 14,000.00 for a boat worth 9000.00? Been out there a while and 9000.00 is a good place to start. I don't know how you negotiate, but when I am buying something, I offer what I will pay for it, nothing more, nothing less. He either takes or not. No sweat either way. I am up front, don't like being jacked around, and try and reach a mutually beneficail deal.

Lenny
10-16-2008, 10:04 PM
LOL, hmm, lets see: Short trip on a beautiful South Florida day to see Donzi @ marina on the water that serves lunch: $7.86..
Discovery of a certain, quite rare cat thats for sale: Priceless :) :)
Sometimes, it's the journey my friend, sometimes it's the journey..

You guys are missing something here. A little off topic but with Poodles "new" Linda Blair keyboard things just kind of sneak in there sometimes.

So, where is the 24' Aronow Cat. THAT is what I want to see pics of. :D

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 10:10 PM
So, where is the 24' Aronow Cat. THAT is what I want to see pics of.

Agreed!:biggrin.:

The Cat he found was pretty cool though.

roadtrip se
10-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Jon, I am done arguing with you. We will have to agree to disagree, which is okay. I apologize, if I hit a nerve. I am thrilled that you have babies on the way, but I am bummed that it will be another year before AOTH rolls around and you show up. It would be more fun to smack each other around in person, although someone might go swimming. Again, I am standing down, I apologize, and I hope you find that dream 18.

Now as for that little cat? Lenny is on to something....

Donziweasel
10-16-2008, 10:22 PM
All right, truce. Agree to disagree. Would have been a good time at AOTH. I am bummed as well. Get out here next summer and we can finish this conversation on the deck of the Lazy P over cocktails.:wink:

Man, I feel all I have done is argue this week. Might start drinking myself.:biggrin.:

As for the boat, even at 9000.00, it would be expensive and time consuming to bring it up to my expectations. Not sure I am feeling the mojo on this one. Also, has some type of strange induction. Some type of early throttle body injection. Anyone know anything about it? Haven't made an offer on it yet. Might pass, have to sleep on it.

onesubdrvr
10-17-2008, 06:51 AM
I'm no expert on the manner by any means,.... I have made questionable judgements in my buying practices, typically all that favor the owners :rolleyes:

That being said, If a boat I "just saw pictures" of was listed at 14k, the pictures look ok, but (definitely for me, but not so much for other people here) 14k is a lot of money, so I'd want an opinion on it, or to look at it myself to make sure it is worth that 14k, I'm not going to send a cashiers check for 14k for a boat I've never seen, nor am I going to travel cross country with a check in hand to turn around because it wasn't even close to the representation. I know how I maintain my things, and how I would expect it to look (if I had owned it since new) at it's age, how much wear it would have had, the "little" things that I may have fixed, and the "little" things that I may have let slide as they weren't that important to me. When I see a listed price for anything, I go in with that in mind. If this were mine, if I had owned it since new, what would I be looking to sell it for.

I guess what I'm saying, is that IMO 14k may be in-line with my "price" range, but add the 4-5k that it would take to get it to my standards makes it a 18-19k deal, at which point it isn't worth it (again, just my opinion).

As Poodle said, some people have no idea what the worth is of what they are selling.

There are people on here that have done much more for me for boats worth far less than this, and don't consider the fact that I took 45 minutes out of my time to go look at this boat ANY inconvienience what-so-ever. I'd be happy to explain (privately) what I found with this boat that gave me the opinion I have.

Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-17-2008, 07:02 AM
what the hell boat are we talking about here? :nilly:

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 07:08 AM
I think Todd does bring up a good point in regards to a fire sale. A fire sale can be two things in my opinion. 1. Someone has become finaincially unstable, and even though they love and have maintained thier boat, they are forced to sell it highly discounted giving someone a great deal. 2. They realize that the boat has so many problems, the work and finaincial commitment to the boat outwieghs keeping it. This can also be a good deal, but can also be a nightmare for an unsavy buyer who gets taken.

Now that I got a good night sleep and have had my coffee, I think I have made up my decision on the boat. First, here is a list of known problems-

1. the seats are moldy and have some small tears. I think a new interior is warranted. We discussed trying to bleach them out, which is a possibility, but out here, once they are bleached, they always crack within a year due to our low humidity. I think bleaching is a temporary fix.

2. Hull is stong and no rot or soft spots in the transom or stringers. The sides have some scraches that can be wet sanded and buffed, but one will need glass work.

3. Deck stripe is highly faded and does not match sides. Probably beyond wet sanding and buffing.

4. Serious corrosion in bildge where rear lifting ring goes through deck and in the transom area around the drive.

5. Clam shell vents have bubbles in the chrome.

6. Other misc small issues, like bolt missing out of rear hatch.

I feel the boat is solid, but has some serious asthetics issues. Based on what I have seen and discussed, it will take about 5000.00 to bring to boat up to OEM spec if someone else does the work. It will take about 3000.00 if I do it with the resources available here. Replacing the interior is by far the most expensive item. I do not think this boat has been abused, it has simply been sitting in a salt air environment for too long. The boat has low hours.

I think I am going to order an independent marine inspection including the following areas- Compression test on all cylinders, engine oil and drive lube analysis, and sea trail. I will make my offer based on the report.

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 07:16 AM
Well, cat's out of the bag. Wayne went and looked at the boat for me. I aksed him if he was going to be in the area anytime soon and he said he would be 5 minutes away one day. He agreed to look at the boat for me. Now I need his address because he is getting a tasty package of Elk for doing it. Thanks man. Really appreciated it.

onesubdrvr
10-17-2008, 08:01 AM
I think Todd does bring up a good point in regards to a fire sale. A fire sale can be two things in my opinion. 1. Someone has become finaincially unstable, and even though they love and have maintained thier boat, they are forced to sell it highly discounted giving someone a great deal. 2. They realize that the boat has so many problems, the work and finaincial commitment to the boat outwieghs keeping it. This can also be a good deal, but can also be a nightmare for an unsavy buyer who gets taken.

I agree, I have been on the bad end of #2 (IMO), and would hope not to be the person knowing about the first, and taking advantage of it. If the price is fair, it's fair, I'm not going to barter a guy down when it's not warranted, just because he's down on his luck.

Now that I got a good night sleep and have had my coffee, I think I have made up my decision on the boat. First, here is a list of known problems-

1. the seats are moldy and have some small tears. I think a new interior is warranted. We discussed trying to bleach them out, which is a possibility, but out here, once they are bleached, they always crack within a year due to our low humidity. I think bleaching is a temporary fix.

As far as the interior, don't forget about the carpet, has been soaked, and is pretty "flat", also Magic Eraser is your friend ;) (Thanks Chrome)

2. Hull is stong and no rot or soft spots in the transom or stringers. The sides have some scraches that can be wet sanded and buffed, but one will need glass work.

Actually, two spots, one down by the keel, and one up by the port side bow vent

3. Deck stripe is highly faded and does not match sides. Probably beyond wet sanding and buffing.

Also, the vinyl accent stripes, and the donzi decals - not that these are hard or expensive items, but they are on the list. The boat was obviously stored out doors, and the Florida sun is BRUTAL,.... (and the boat is 11 years old), and time has taken it's toll

4. Serious corrosion in bildge where rear lifting ring goes through deck and in the transom area around the drive.

Yeah, inner transom assy is pretty bad, but as far as the bilge, don't forget that the paint is peeling too, pretty bad in some spots (battery box), not structural, but again, one of those things that I would have hoped to maintain if it had been mine since new

5. Clam shell vents have bubbles in the chrome.

Corrosion pain in the arseus ;) again, pretty minor detail, but I don't see many owners boats here with corroded and pitted clamshells :D

6. Other misc small issues, like bolt missing out of rear hatch.

Loose switches, small tear in cockpit cover, minor rust issues on wench on trailer.

I feel the boat is solid, but has some serious asthetics issues. Based on what I have seen and discussed, it will take about 5000.00 to bring to boat up to OEM spec if someone else does the work. It will take about 3000.00 if I do it with the resources available here. Replacing the interior is by far the most expensive item. I do not think this boat has been abused, it has simply been sitting in a salt air environment for too long. The boat has low hours.

Yup, mechanically / structurally, I feel it is pretty sound, but again, the manifolds and risers look original, so 11 years old, I would plan them for some time in the next year or so.

I think I am going to order an independent marine inspection including the following areas- Compression test on all cylinders, engine oil and drive lube analysis, and sea trail. I will make my offer based on the report.
Good call,.... I didn't take it for a spin,...though would have been nice, it was a BEAUTIFUL day here yesterday, low 80's, low humidity and a nice breeze, probably 2' chop in the St. Lucie River, could have been a fun ride.

onesubdrvr
10-17-2008, 08:03 AM
Well, cat's out of the bag. Wayne went and looked at the boat for me. I aksed him if he was going to be in the area anytime soon and he said he would be 5 minutes away one day. He agreed to look at the boat for me. Now I need his address because he is getting a tasty package of Elk for doing it. Thanks man. Really appreciated it.
No problem John,

I enjoy looking at boats, love the water, so it was actually a joy :yes:

Mmmmm Elk, yummy :wink: I'll shoot you an addy a little later

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 09:02 AM
No prob. You da man.:worthy:

After reading through your synopsis, I am going to pass. Too much work on the asthetics while I also have major plans for the power plant. Would rather work on the engine than all the other stuff. Since I am passing, here is the ad, I am sure many of you have seen it.

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1995-Donzi-CLASSIC-2%2B3-90457167

As far as negotiations, the dealer lists this boat as "Cleanest 18 on the market, LOOKS LIKE NEW...awesome, fast hull...don't miss out." It is neither the nicest one on the market and it does not look like new. Probably why it has been out there for over 6-9 months. He needs to lower his price. Another reason I am passing is that I do not trust this dealer. He has mis-represented the boat. I know his job is to make a sale, but flat lying about it is unacceptable. There is no telling what he might say or portray the boat as to make a deal.

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I also have to say, I woke up this morning and having twins hit hard all the sudden. I realized how much this will cost, they say twins don't cost double one child, but three times! Might have to back off on buying anything and keep the 16. Can modify the hatch and still mount my blower. Still cautiously looking, but priorities are definetly changing.

Would like to keep this thread going as the economy, and boat sales change in the next few months. Would like to see and hear what people are seeing in boat sales, especailly Donzi's as we enter unchartered waters with the economy. More for sale, less for sale, deals, no deals, what the used Donzi market is doing. Might be some real interesting and rare stuff coming up for sale soon due to forced sales.

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Here are few problem areas with said boat if anyone is interested in it.

VetteLT193
10-17-2008, 09:36 AM
with the twins coming you might consider looking for a Minx or 22. I was scared of an 18 because of the low free board so I went for the Minx:lifeprese:

mattyboy
10-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Again all good points here and I have to say if you are in the market for a late model mid 90's or newer non red 18 close to Jackson hole the market is slim to none and slim just left town again the inspection should not really in most cases be a deal breaker if the proper background talks have already started of course unless it's puking oil in the bilge or the terms freeze out plugs comes up I have and always will look at a boat for anyone and the road trip is the best part you never know what will turn up and will never try to unhook or break a deal someone else has in place even if by minutes and would expect the same from everyone else here or then I sick my lawyer on you :yes: :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4lURHNLrwtc

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 09:57 AM
You're right Senator, living in Jh definetly has some disadvatages. My Donzi came from Iowa, my Pinzguaer from Wisconsin, my Bronco from Nebraska. Finding a Donzi close is not an option. It will have to be shipped from somewhere else. Midwest is ideal, but seems many are in Florida or North East. I usually get a good deal on Uship.com.

BUIZILLA
10-17-2008, 10:09 AM
if your boat shopping, i'd be watching the Marine Max situation real close...

Personally, I don't see how they can survive past next spring/summer..

if they make it that long..

fogducker III
10-17-2008, 10:13 AM
DW - Good call at the $9000 you had planned........lots to do to that one. Pretty rough for a 1995, salt or not.....

Congrats on the twins, I have two kids myself very close in age, but not that close!!!:eek:

boldts
10-17-2008, 11:39 AM
Interesting read for sure gentlemen. Many of the members here helped me when my daughter was born and my ex and I felt the 18 Classic needed higher sides. I originally wanted a Critter when I was looking at 22s. Just not enough of them built in the day and no one tells anyone about a Critter for sale simply because of the fear of being left standing with their tail between their legs because someone went in and bought the boat from underneath them. (Shame on anyone who would do that.) Poodle talked with me about Critters and helped let me know of ones for sale. I had one here in the North East that he knew about and wanted to investigate if I was not interested in the boat. Looking at pictures, this boat needed way more than I could do with my experience. So I passed on it and someone else I'm sure owns the boat now. Restoring it and has their dream Donzi.

Let me also tell you about how Todd has helped me in the past in a boat buying situation. He and I were both interested in the Special Addition Donzi put out oh probably been about 6 or 7 yrs ago now. Todd looked into going straight to Donzi and us buying 2 straight from the factory. We each wanted the SEs to be OUR SEs. We wanted certain items on the boats and some options not offered on the original SE being offered to the dealers and their customers. Long story short, Donzi refused to build and sell the boats to us at the price we wanted to pay for them. We of course were looking for a better deal by buying 2 SE Classics built our way. My point here is simply......Yes Todd may buy things a bit different than maybe someone else, but I can vouch for his integraty and abillities. He is straight forward with anyone he meets. You'll get exactly what he thinks when you talk to him about anything. I respect that from anyone.

About me helping out board members? 1st and foremost, I don't have the knowledge to even know what to look for in a used boat. When I bought my 18, I found it at a small OH lake in a dealers showroom. I saw it and had to have it! It was MY Donzi calling out to me. Didn't know a thing about them back then. The dealer didn't either LOL. I took 2 loans out to buy that boat. 1 for the down payment and then another through the dealer to buy the boat. :cool!: Like I said it kept calling: Scoooooottttttt......Scooooootttttt Now the 22 Classic I later bought was strictly an impulse buy. I wanted blue and really didn't care to much about anything else. Went to a Detroit Boat Show with other members from here. Met a dealer there who said he could find anything I wanted in the price range I was willing to spend. About a week or 2 later, I was signing the papers for a medium blue 22 Classic I never even saw, test drove or checked out. Bought site unseen except for pictures. It came from down in KY and a very famous Fountain dealership there on Cumberland. So, as you can see........I'm the worst person to have go look at a boat for you. LOL I've always looked at it like: "You only live once!" and being a diabetic, maybe less time than others. I've never saved a penney, but I've enjoyed the best of times in boating and with friends I've met here on the Registry through the ownership of my Donzi Classics.

I love looking at boats though.......Any boats and would welcome someone letting me tag along as a learning experience when they investigate a boat for someone here if it is in the Ohio area.

chappy
10-17-2008, 12:25 PM
Just looking for a little clarification, are other's boat ads still sacred? We all see ads that are comical at best, with certain aspects about the condition/performance distorted. In the past, the guidelines were not to "bash" the ad or the seller, and just move on. Do those rules still apply? Not trying to be a wise ass, I just think this could turn into a free for all............quickly.

cutwater
10-17-2008, 12:59 PM
Since I am passing, here is the ad, I am sure many of you have seen it.

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1995-Donzi-CLASSIC-2%2B3-90457167

You're hooked on teal, huh! Yeah, could be a nice boat if it was kept up. You'll find YOUR Donzi soon, just keep lookin!

smokediver
10-17-2008, 03:10 PM
Don't feel bad ! The market for the 16's are a little slow at anytime ... I was in the same boat as you .. wanting an 18 and trying to sell a 16 , lol ... It took a little while to sell the 16 and I drove to Brewer Maine for my 18 but in the end it all worked out for the best ! Keep looking !

Donziweasel
10-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Boldts, I agree, Todd is good people and I know he would help fellow members. We are freinds, but even freinds acan have a spirited discussion sometimes. It's all good. :biggrin.: Interesting read about the SE's, did not know that you and Todd did that. Pretty cool.:wink:

Cutwater and Smokediver, thanks for the support. I will find "my" Donzi. Got all winter.:wink:

Scot, I would leave it be. The original intention of this thread was to discuss the used market on Donzi's for sale as a result of the current economy. You can move it if you want, but I think it is in an appropriate place. Just got a little side tracked with my personal purchase and a spirited discussion. I would like to see it get back on track though. I will post any further personal purchases in another area.

roadtrip se
10-17-2008, 10:14 PM
I appreciate the kind words. I think it is very healthy to hang it out there and express some opinions, kick it around, maybe kick each other around in the process, and then let it go. No reason to go nuclear.

I truly respect the people here who get this. Keeps it interesting. Some of my best friends kick my butt on a regular basis, and typically I deserve it!

Hopefully there are some nuggets in this thread that someone can use to go buy a boat...

Rob M
10-18-2008, 12:26 AM
May be a little older than you want but it looks cool...
http://cnj.craigslist.org/boa/862351124.html
Price seems way too good to be true, VIN photo looks strange....
http://www.onlineboatsales.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?action=sad&adid=13780
A teal option in BC - a little pricey but it is CDN$
http://www.usedvictoria.com/classified-ad/7164389&category=power-boats
Another teal but it is OMC...
http://www.vipimports.com/Car-SpecialInterest-13/SpecialInterest-13.htm
Good luck in your quest.
Rob

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 07:16 AM
"Doubleagent" has been making the rounds for a while, it is a scam

One in BC is by a new member who has decided to keep it.

Craigslist one I have been "eyeballing", but it isn't "calling"to me.

VIP one I really like, but not sure I want the Ford engine. Don't mind the King Cobra drive though.

Seen em all except the VIP one, thanks for looking.

txtaz
10-18-2008, 09:51 AM
Todd,
"Don't mess with the Blue Tankini Team!... "

Are we mimicking someone?

Da Taz<---Yeah I'm going to look up Ilmore. If I have the motor, I have got to buy a hull. And yes, there will be deals to be had. IMO

mattyboy
10-18-2008, 10:41 AM
DW
here is one I passed on, it had me for a little while real curious how this setup would run but sorry it is red and it is a right coast boat but if anyone wants not to far from me a roadtrip to the joisey shore is always in order for some seafood

note I could see this in Dwight's stable maybe for the kids when they grow up ;)

http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1988-Donzi-18---2%2B3-93649709

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Thanks for the link Senator. You are right about the config, Bravo 3? Hmmmm......going to pass as it is a little out of my current price range. Never seen a Classic 18 w/ Bravo 3. Wonder how it handles. Mercruiser only recommends this drive up to 65 mph, he is pushing mid-70's. Of course Mercruiser seems to underate it's drive capabilities.

chappy
10-18-2008, 11:00 AM
DW, I've got a lead on a nice, (so I'm told:rolleyes:), X for under 10k, doesn't quite fit what you're looking for, year and drive wise, I was told it's got a Volvo outdrive. Let me know if you want me to do some research and find the ad, I heard about it from a friend who lives in Maryland.

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks Rich, but I will probably pass. Hope it goes to a good home.

BUIZILLA
10-18-2008, 12:51 PM
I really like that yellow '87

ton's of potential there...

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:04 PM
Teal one is growing on me. Wish it had thru-hull, but that is an easy fix. Could be added. Price is a little high vs. other similar boats. Low hours on the engine, probably a good candidate for SC. Drive can definetly handle the additional power.

Like the yellow one, but what would Chappy say?

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:09 PM
Scot,
You're right, looks like the steering shaft goes right behind the exhaust manifolds blocking the port side. Hmmmm.......wonder if it could be modified? Maybe some elbows and a lower exit on the transom?

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:14 PM
Could also go out the side.

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:26 PM
Damn Scot, you are a true freind. Offering to give me a FREE external steering set up. What a guy!:biggrin.: You have my address, I'll be looking for my FREE external steering setup. Thanks a bunch, I'll send ya a Jackson Hole coozie.:biggrin.:

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Oh yeah, thanks Donzichris for posting that pic on another thread. Hope you don't mind me using it.:worthy:

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:30 PM
MP, after thinking about it, I have never seen an OMC boat with thru-hull straight off the exhaust manifolds. I have seen them spread way out to the side, but still through the transom. Must be what they had to do to offer it. Guess Captains call is out with that setup, which I need on one of my lakes.

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:31 PM
Amazin how it can cost over 2,000.00 to ship that setup. Must be gas prices.:yes: Guess I will just have to drive down and pic it up.

DonziChris
10-18-2008, 03:34 PM
DW

Does this help, He is asking more than I sold mine for, but looks to be in nicer shape than mine.

Chris

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, thanks Chris. That is how I have seen all the OMC boats thru-hull setups.

Alright MP, what is the damage on the external sterring? Probably going to need it anyway due to MASSIVE power increase planned.

I heard you offer excellent owner finaincing, something like 1.00 a month for 2000-3000 months or until I die..

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Boat is closer than most. If I paid a little more than I want, I would make it up on shipping. Hell, might even drive there. Only one state away.

DonziChris
10-18-2008, 03:53 PM
That boat looks to be very nice shape, drive baby drive, heck I drove from Mich To california for my 16.

Donziweasel
10-18-2008, 03:54 PM
Got the whole month of November off, might go just due to boredom. Could go a little farther north and drop in on Lenny. Plus, as the Senator and MP said, sometimes the drive is most of the fun!

DonziChris
10-18-2008, 04:14 PM
DW

I had a great time driving out west to get the 16. Drove by the bonneville salt flats, which I had not been to since I was a 11 year old kid. went with my dad in 1970 to set some land speed records on motorcycles. What great memories that brought back, and to come home with a donzi, what more could you ask for.

Chris

roadtrip se
10-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Todd,
"Don't mess with the Blue Tankini Team!... "
Are we mimicking someone?
Da Taz<---Yeah I'm going to look up Ilmore. If I have the motor, I have got to buy a hull. And yes, there will be deals to be had. IMO

Heck, we got trash talk and smack downs going on other fronts, why not a little good hearted smack down on the swim suit side of things?

Paging Captain Steubing, Captain Steubing, one of the Takini Team appears to be getting a little sun burn, please report to the bridge....

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 09:55 AM
I think it is very healthy to hang it out there and express some opinions, kick it around, maybe kick each other around in the process, and then let it go. No reason to go nuclear.

Todd, I agree. If we all got along and never had a disagreement, this would be the most boring chat board in history. Keeps things interesting and livily. You and I have gotten into more than once, we always respect each other, and in the end, we agree to disagree and move on. Members just have to know not to take it too seriously. A wise angry dog of french origin told me that once.

fogducker III
10-19-2008, 10:03 AM
DW. I went to Seattle to see this boat in person a few months back, it has been advertised on and off for a while. Dealer selling it but for a good friend of his so I don't believe commission is involved...........

VERY clean boat, thru hull can be done as you suggest or side exhaust, the first way can be fitted with a silent set-up I have been told.

At the time I did not have enough money for it, I think they were asking a little more back then?

But as I said, very clean, well maintained, been sitting for a while but a good service and tune-up does wonders. IMO it is a nice boat for the $$$.

(Buy the damn thing so I don't have to feel bad about buying mine.....:wink: )

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 10:38 AM
(Buy the damn thing so I don't have to feel bad about buying mine..... )

Jeremy, don't sweat it. Wasn't the right boat for me. A. More than I really wanted to spend. B. Whipple has discontinued the SC for the Scorpion. I called and checked. You buying it was a godsend because I would have been very upset that I could not have put a Whipple on it. C. I still have my 16, so I am not Donziless. It's all good. Now quit worring about it, get that thing on the water, run the crap out of it and enjoy!:biggrin.:

yeller
10-19-2008, 05:03 PM
DW, let me know if you do indeed head to Seattle. There's a couple people there I want to talk to so I'll head down at the same time. Bring BooBoo. Wives can go shopping while we're :beer:.
And Lenny is a short ferry ride away, he might head over as well.

Donziweasel
10-19-2008, 06:57 PM
I would really like to meet you guys. If I make it, it will be 2nd week of November. Got anything cooking that week? Lenny?

Cuda
10-27-2008, 08:18 AM
with the twins coming you might consider looking for a Minx or 22. I was scared of an 18 because of the low free board so I went for the Minx:lifeprese:
I wished I had never sold mine. It's THE most fun to drive boat I've ever had, and I've had a few.

Cuda
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
I wished I had never sold mine. It's THE most fun to drive boat I've ever had, and I've had a few.