PDA

View Full Version : Update.. Upside down?!!

Mach 5
10-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Check the painting method, and how straight the deck has come out!
Just got the steering hardware, and the Rocket trailer is at the powder coating place!!
Just in time for winter!!

Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle

Conquistador_del_mar
10-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Garry,
Now that is one way to keep the trash out of the paint - very cool. It looks perfect. You are probably psyched to start putting it back together. Keep posting any updates. Here is a picture of the deck that you sent to me a while back before you started. Powder coating the Rocket trailer is something I doubt many people have done - good idea - expensive? Bill

Morgan's Cloud
10-16-2008, 07:04 AM
At first I thought .. 'well that's cool ... will sure keep dust off the finish !' .. But then it occured to me ... How does the paint lay down/flow with gravity working in the opposite direction ?

Mach 5
10-16-2008, 11:04 AM
A great comment on the gravity thing.. I am not sure how they did it.. It does make sense the to keep dust from settling on the deck, upside down works. I think they just shoot really light coats to avoid runs. The nice thing is that any runs can be wet sanded out, then shot again. I am used to the feel of gel coat, and the paint feels unbelievably smooth and nearly soft.. Really cool.
The old single axle Rocket had the old 4 mini bunks bolted to the outer frame. UGLY and I bet, not easy to deal with launching.
I pulled them off, had an extra cross brace placed about the point where the frame starts to narrow, and had the lifting hinge and latch welded to the frame with some bracing.
I will then use 12" adjustable bunk brackets, on 1" bolts, 3 per bunk positioned just inside the outer strake. We'll see how that works, more welding may be necessary.

I found a guy to sandblast the entire trailer, and powder coat it for $700.00. Not bad, considering a Maaco paint job, with me grinding was going to be around $600.00. Photos coming..Stay tuned!
Garry
1967 Ski Sporter V-drive
Seattle

Mach 5
10-16-2008, 11:05 AM
Thanks for posting that 'before shot'! I have the photos of the thing spread on like 4 machines and a phone, and find it hard to post photos consistently and easily.. Feel free to put any others up there! Did I send you the one with the huge Hornet flying back to it's nest under the deck?

:)
Garry

Garry,
Now that is one way to keep the trash out of the paint - very cool. It looks perfect. You are probably psyched to start putting it back together. Keep posting any updates. Here is a picture of the deck that you sent to me a while back before you started. Powder coating the Rocket trailer is something I doubt many people have done - good idea - expensive? Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
10-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Thanks for posting that 'before shot'! I have the photos of the thing spread on like 4 machines and a phone, and find it hard to post photos consistently and easily.. Feel free to put any others up there! Did I send you the one with the huge Hornet flying back to it's nest under the deck?

:)
Garry

Nope, no hornet picture, but that would be fun to see. I found at least 20 paper wasp nests under the sides of my Magnum project with one of them being fairly huge - thankfully no wasps though :wink:

mphatc
10-16-2008, 07:52 PM
powdercoating . . don't do it!

Powdercoating is a solid coating that will not flow into the joints and cracks, it will crack and flex, and once that happens water gets underneath and starts to cause rust that you can't stop! This will happen at any place where one piece of metal overlaps another. Any edge not covered will start to peel. I tried this on a boat trailer years ago, looked like chit in a year of freshwater use and 15 miles to and from the ramp 10 times. Tried it again when redoing the Corsican . . won't use powdercoating near water again.

I strongly suggest a high quality self etching primer made for steel, applied in a thin coat, and this covered with another primer that will help the top coat of paint to bond.

Sorry, I don't mean to be the negative voice:garfield: my results were a big waste of money.

Mario L.

Mach 5
10-16-2008, 10:18 PM
This is where the end of my credit line began...

But it WILL be a fun boat when done...

Morgan's Cloud
10-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Aaargh ..... Everytime I see those chromed metal castings of the 'Donzi' nameplate I scream ......

The holes where they originally were mounted on my St T. were all that was visible when I got it ...

(Otherwise that is a cool project ! )

Mach 5
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Ever find a hull #?

Hull Number 390...
Any interesting trivia on that??

Also, did the 1967's have decals, or just the metal Script badge at the stern?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-17-2008, 11:40 AM
Hull Number 390...
Any interesting trivia on that??

Also, did the 1967's have decals, or just the metal Script badge at the stern?

Garry,
Did you see my post on the decal auction thread? I can check with Lloyd and make sure those decals are original on his 1967 16', but my guess is that they are since he bought it new in 1967. Bill

BUIZILLA
10-17-2008, 12:09 PM
what's so special about 16-390?

Mach 5
10-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Yea!!
Do tell!
Not modifying.. Rebuilding!!!!

mattyboy
10-17-2008, 02:46 PM
a 67 could have a few decals on it or not just the white and black donzi alone and any combo of USA British and Swedish flags but would never have had the dolphin and lion decal like the decals in the auction those are for the 70's boats