PDA

View Full Version : 16' Bench Seat

onesubdrvr
10-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Now,

What would you guys think of that in a bench seat variety?

With an outboard(?)

Wayne

VetteLT193
10-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Now,

What would you guys think of that in a bench seat variety?

With an outboard(?)

Wayne

I think the 16 is better with the bench over this setup because of space constraints.

Not a fan of outboards though

Greg Guimond
10-12-2008, 07:37 AM
Taking a dormant I/O hull and converting it to O/B power via a bracket is viable and would leave you with quite a storage area and the 2+3 format for seating.

As to motor choices and associated setback, 16" is too much for that hull if you plan on 200HP or above, and you have to decide about motor weight overall, but the newer options weigh in the 500 lb range whereas the N-1 engines can be brought in at 400-425. 75 lbs is a lot of weight difference with respect to C of G on a 16' hull. Forget about 4 stroke power if you want any performance.

I should have clarified that there are no active board members that have a 16 that GPS's 70MPH or better. I'd be curious about the guy in CT with the worked SBC. If you are lurking, then feel free to prove me wrong.

Sounds like your thinking of a pretty cool project ..............

Lenny
10-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Wayne, I thought about that for a few years as well (Bench seat 16). BUT, the 16 has sooooooo much lift already I honestly don't think it would be "runable" sitting further back. Especially with the CoG changes of an outboard as well.

BigGrizzly
10-13-2008, 09:57 AM
A long long time ago we did a 16 with a Volvo and built a plywood Half deck and dash panel and clamped it to the 16 grab rail, so only the rear seat was usable. Three guys one weekend and some light blue paint and we were done. the boat wasn't that bad but did porpoise a lot except at high speed and was a bear to plane. Take into account it had no tabs and was not trim able. It really lookede like a Snoopy off shore racer when someone was in it. The project lasted for two weekends and was returned to the original formation. Don't er have a wodden deck verson on the board already, I am sure we do?

onesubdrvr
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Good point about the COG Lenny, but my thinking is this:

CG is typically 33% of the LOA forward of the stern, correct?

If so, that is about where the rear bench seat is on a 16, right?

Now, granted, my 280 lb. ass will be on the COG instead of forward of it, but changing to an outboard (200hpdi vs 350 with Alpha drive), weight drops from 946lbs to 475lbs, so I'd be shaving 375 lbs off aft of the CG, which I'm sure would actually be more like 175 when you consider placing it aft of the transom by about 10", and the added leverage it would have against the COG. Also, with the deck off, it give me the opportunity to move the fuel tank forward, and maybe even add a few gallons, and heck, place the battery forward, trim tab pump, etc. There is a lot of weight that could be moved forward.

Also, as in aviation (model aviation anyway), wouldn't you want the boat balanced at it's normal COG, empty, no fuel, no persons? Just wondering.

Wayne

I was going to wait a little to discuss all of this, but now is as good of time as any I guess :wink: :biggrin.:.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-15-2008, 07:49 AM
A long long time ago we did a 16 with a Volvo and built a plywood Half deck and dash panel and clamped it to the 16 grab rail, so only the rear seat was usable. Three guys one weekend and some light blue paint and we were done. the boat wasn't that bad but did porpoise a lot except at high speed and was a bear to plane. Take into account it had no tabs and was not trim able. It really lookede like a Snoopy off shore racer when someone was in it. The project lasted for two weekends and was returned to the original formation. Don't er have a wodden deck verson on the board already, I am sure we do?
Grizz,

You mention that with the "bench" set-up that the boat porpoised a lot (except at high speed), do you think now (years later) that with a better prop that this wouldn't be an issue? Also, you mentioned that was a Volvo boat, what about as an outboard with less weight at the stern?

And finally ;)

Honda is building a R&D plant in Sebastian / Grant area, right on the Indian River, do you know anything about this? (ok, hijacking my own thread I know ;) )

Thanks!
Wayne

BigGrizzly
10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
First the R7D is the marine division and some testing is there they are enlarging the old Facility which use to be a house of sorts. As for props when I typed it I was thinking the same thing. I am sure it will still porpoise more then normal.

onesubdrvr
10-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Well, as it goes, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, I was given a 16 hull - empty and needing a complete resoration, and, it'll fit in the (air conditioned) garage :D . Some of you may have seen my I/O vs Outboard thread or my 40th anniversary 16 thread, but at the recommendation of the great modifier Lenny (:worthy:) and what I want to do, is convert this old girl to a bench seat 16, moving the seating all the way back against the engine compartment (the deck is gone and needs to be completely redone, so why not?). Anyway, I played around a little tonight and this is what I came up with (initial proposal).

Questions will abound, but one step at a time :D

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
10-15-2008, 09:40 PM
WOW!
Thats Cool - My choice would be the V8. My 16 got 4 mpg. The 22 is 2.

Team Jefe
10-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Today is Oct 15....I will be in FLA on Dec 12. That's plenty of time to get this project done.

So. Wayne, I expect to take her out for a spin Saturday Morning:nilly:

onesubdrvr
10-15-2008, 10:11 PM
Today is Oct 15....I will be in FLA on Dec 12. That's plenty of time to get this project done.

So. Wayne, I expect to take her out for a spin Saturday Morning:nilly:

Sure thing Amigo!! :yes:,... you may have to grab a :wrench: though :wink:

Counting down the days (58)

(Disclaimer: theboatlikelywontevenbeherebydecember12soactualoff erstogooutforaspinarestrictlyspeculative,however,i fitwerehereanddone,hell,I'devenletyoutakeitoutfora spin:D) )

Wayne :pimp:

Ed Donnelly
10-15-2008, 10:25 PM
With the gang you have at home, better consider another bench up forward like Poodles Criterion..:yes::yes: ...Ed

onesubdrvr
10-15-2008, 10:32 PM
****, I did say that out loud.. Next thing you know I'll let slip that's the one buiz and I have been discussing modding to get some serious ****ing horsepower out of. ****, Jim's gonna kick my ass, why the **** did I open my stupid ****ing mouth??

Yes, you did say it out loud, and I've even taken screen shots of the posts before they are "removed" ;)

Ransom,.... on heavily modded 4.3l engine, and I'll forgot I heard / saw anything, and the evidence will dissapear :biggrin.: lol!!

Wayne

Lenny
10-16-2008, 02:34 AM
I thought of doing this.

I forget who's boat it was, (Shabas I think), (must be in Florida 'cuz the clouds are puffy and it is sunny :rolleyes: )but I figured if the motor was AHEAD of you a lot, You sat at the back like a Gentlemans Racer, the CoG would remain or get better, and it could be a fun ride with a driveshaft feeding an Alpha.

This is all I ever did with the idea, (Photosuite Morph) but there is a Sweet Sixteen outside BEGGING for a Jig-Saw. :D

onesubdrvr
10-16-2008, 06:40 AM
lenny,

That was one of my original thoughts, place the engine forward, and ride all the way back by the transom, and is still a consideration. It could also lend itself to an engine with quite a bit more cam than normal because of the distance back to the transom(?), the ability to add water traps / etc. My original thoughts for this consideration were something along the lines of a V6 twin turbo motor and a two speed tranny, but have pretty much ruled that out as I feel that running a multi speed tranny would cause some significant problems in actual driveability of the boat in certain situations or water conditions, and I got rid of my twin turbo set up a couple of years ago. Had also considered the drive line from the engine to an outdrive, and to a surface drive unit - but nothing like an arneson.

I don't like the idea of keeping ALL of the engine weight where it is at, AND moving my 280lb butt back there, which is one reason I considered an outboard, the loss in weight from the engine would be made up from my gain in weight. Any difference could be made up in shifting heavy items such as the battery, fuel tank, etc.

Outboards offer quite a few advantages - the whole engine is out of the bilge, so that someone my size can work on it easily ;) without having to wiggle in or out, they seem to offer more bang for the buck, but there is a lot of cool factor lost (bye bye deep throaty sound of a V-8). And, since I'm starting with NO power, cost would be equivelant (IMO). Also with a 9" setback, and a hydraulic jack plate, you have an on-the-run ability to shift the drive heigth - very cool :yes:

I guess that I should state my goals;

1) Move driver position aft
2) Sweet paint job
3) Top speed of mid-high 60's with rail like stability
4) Cruise speed of low to mid 50's.

I don't want to make this a squirrely monster by changing it all around, but I want to change it all around ;)

I'm in no hurry to get this job done, I am on a budget (the longer it takes, the bigger the budget), but I guess I need to make a decision as to how it's going to be powered before I can make any progress on the hull or deck.

There are certainly a ton of options, and I'm open to them all.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-17-2008, 09:56 AM
I've been having many conversations lately about my upcoming project, and would like to pose the following questions for input, please elaborate on your opinion as I'd like to take everything into consideration.

I'm going to make this a bench seat 16,..... I'm just liking the look too much, but I'd like to do a little thinking on what the glass work is going to entail before it gets here, so I really need to make a decision on what KIND of power I'm going to put in it, not necessarily the exact package, but just what kind.

1st idea - outboard
2nd idea - standard I/O configuration
3rd idea - straight drive
4th idea - engine forward I/O configuration - with a drive shaft to to the transom.

The way I look at this, the whole project is a gamble, I may get it done, have thousands in it, and hate the way it handles, and I can accept that, so I'm willing to take risks on this too.

This is likely going to be a 2 year project, mostly because of the planning, viability checking of options, and budget. I thank everyone in advance for their input.

Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Jersey skiff setup in a 16 hull, wooden decks..... :eek: :eek: :eek: why bother, you can buy a VERY competitive jersey for the same money, and they both will ride the same... :outtahere:

BigGrizzly
10-17-2008, 10:45 AM
I have owned a Jersey Skiff, and nothing about it is like any boat I have ever owned. Since I had the skiff and the 16 at the same time, I feek I have a good understanding if both. I like the skiff until 70 then the ball game gets into real trouble. This is the only boat that almost killed me. I won't tell the story, but I sold the next week. BTW it was a really cool boat

Mach 5
10-17-2008, 10:54 AM
Do Tell!!

A Jersey Speed Skiff is sort of on my radar as my next project, now that I am through the really ugly part of the Donzi Resoration!!

Garry
1967 SS V-drive
Seattle, WA
(Not many Jersey Skiffs here!)

BUIZILLA
10-17-2008, 11:30 AM
Why bother building a bench seat X-18 from scratch when you can buy a perfectly good one in Miami or Jacksonville and modify it to fit your needs? what if said person might not want a round bottom X18.. :kingme:

BUIZILLA
10-17-2008, 12:10 PM
said person doesn't like flat deck barrel back's... :cool!:

onesubdrvr
10-17-2008, 05:32 PM
Jersey skiff setup in a 16 hull, wooden decks..... :eek: :eek: :eek:

Ok, you responded first, so you get hit with the load of questions first ;)

I like the idea, but don't know enough about the skiffs, so here goes.

1st, the skiffs have a flat bottom, with the 16 with the deep keel, how would that affect the ride / handling / performance. It seems like it would take a TON of power to get it high enough out of the water to really turn that prop (like every picture I see of the skiffs, the only thing in the water is the prop and the rudder). I imagine you'd need just the same amout of prop in the water on a 16, unless you are suggesting more of a conventional running set up like a v-drive set up, but instead of using the V tranny, just a strait tranny with a 13* offset - I only ever seen one Donzi V-drive run, it was an 18 over in Sarasota in 06 (18), looked like it ran nice. Also, with a strait shaft set-up like that, what kind of prop selection do I have? is it as good as for an outdrive or outboard?

Also, the front of the deck on the skiff is open, is that for intake air or cooling air or what? would I need to do that with the 16?

That's all I can think of for now, but I'm sure more will come

Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-17-2008, 07:11 PM
of what it might look like,....

Wayne

BigGrizzly
10-18-2008, 08:33 AM
Gee I was just thinking that a center engine- a drive shaft down the middle a trim able outdrive and a hidden front peoplepit in front. this would bee a hoot. It would also exhibit good marina handling.

rustnrot
10-18-2008, 08:39 AM
As many of you recall, Mike Yobe of Tavares, FL did a mahogany decked bench seat 16 v drive here:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=43258

Not sure why the photos aren't there.:nilly:

Boat now has 310 hp efi PCM 5.8L. Trim tabs make for level running.

BUIZILLA
10-18-2008, 08:44 AM
Wayne, I have a complete 350 Bravo package, and fuzzy has a V6.... either would work jackshafted..

I may have the engine sold now, but I like the front engine procharged V6 idea, jackshafted to a Bravo..

onesubdrvr
10-18-2008, 02:19 PM
Well, seems like there is a good amout of interest in the mid-hull engine, so that's the direction I'm going.

I like the idea of a trimable out drive over a fixed shaft of an strait drive, but I like the total $ amount of a strait drive more,.....

Can you guys compare / contrast and give opinions on the two for me?

One think I think is cool, is how easy it would be to raise the X Dimension with the engine forward. I've got the lead on your Bravo package Buiz, but also have a lead on some Volvo SX packages. A supercharged V-6 would be very cool, I wonder how much more power you could build by being able to run a more agressive cam with the added exhaust length(?)

I think I like the outdrive idea better for flexibility, but someone please make a strong case for one over the other for me.

Thanks!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-18-2008, 04:22 PM
Ever driven a Mastercraft?? :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

No,... you will have to tell me more,.... but that's 3 times now you've mentioned going sans outdrive :wink:,.... I'm learning :biggrin:

Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-19-2008, 08:23 PM
Well, a hundred thousand (thus far) thanks to Chappy for picking up the Donor boat, and giving it a safe temporary home until things settle down for me a tad. More info coming up, but in the meantime, here is a link to his photo gallery with some pictures he took of the "project"

http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=32

Wayne

chappy
10-20-2008, 07:53 AM
Well, a hundred thousand (thus far) thanks to Chappy for picking up the Donor boat, and giving it a safe temporary home until things settle down for me a tad. More info coming up, but in the meantime, here is a link to his photo gallery with some pictures he took of the "project"

http://www.donzi.net/forums/album.php?albumid=32

Wayne

Thanks for the kind words. I didn't have much time yesterday after I tucked it away in the man cave. I'll clean it up a little, then take better pics. It's in better shape than I thought it would be. Trailer is very solid. :yes:

chappy
10-20-2008, 07:45 PM
Anyone have any tips as to how to better read the hull number, I can make out the 16-, but I'm struggling after that, lots of lines/shadows. The guy who donated it said it is a '68. Would love to make out that number though.....:stan:

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 09:06 AM
if ya want you can drop me a line and I can give ya all I know about the old 16's

mnmveth@optonline.net
cell 201-315-9662

mattyboy
10-21-2008, 01:36 PM
looking at the pic's it is not a 68 it is a 67 judging by the cutout for the shifter a recessed shifter not the standard morse like my 67 and the 2 clam shell vents, also the solid glass deck no core deck
it was a 289 boat originally by the old low wide exhaust ports was probably an eaton badged volvo 200

what number do you think it is and what was the original gel color??

chappy
10-21-2008, 01:47 PM
looking at the pic's it is not a 68 it is a 67 judging by the cutout for the shifter a recessed shifter not the standard morse like my 67 and the 2 clam shell vents, also the solid glass deck no core deck
it was a 289 boat originally by the old low wide exhaust ports was probably an eaton badged volvo 200

what number do you think it is and what was the original gel color??

http://www.donzi.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=32&pictureid=234

I'll keep digging for the number, I'll try the bow eye area next. This pic is showing a dark red/burgundy color under the white paint? I'll try to snap some pics of the hull number when I get a chance.

Donziweasel
10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
I like Randy's idea of moving the bench to the transom and having a forward hatch for seating for two. Kinda a 16 Critter.

onesubdrvr
10-22-2008, 06:46 PM
To address some question here from the "for sale" thread ;)

DW: - Wayne, I love the project AND think you are nuttier than chinese chicken salad!:biggrin.: How long do you think it will take? What is your budget? Power? Would be a shame if it looked real unique and didn't run very fast. I am sure that you have something in mind to make it move. I think I remember talk of a SC 4.3L.:biggrin.:

I like Randy's idea of a small hatch and seating area in front, kinda of 16 Critter.

In reality, I am jealous as hell. Great project, great theme and a truely unique boat.:worthy: Please, please, please keep us updated! Good luck!

1st, how long do I think it'll take? Very tough to know, I'm estimating 2 years, could be less, could be longer, at this junction in my life, too much stuff is up in the air to nail down any real type of time schedule.

My budget is in constant flex. Cari's student loans just started coming due, and mine will start in June, so money will be tight (at least until I get ALL the kids in school - day care last year cost me $20k). I don't have near enough set aside right now to complete the project, but enough to get the fiberglass work done. I do freelance web design, custom painting, and vinyl sign work on the side, and a LARGE portion of what I make from doing those goes towards my project. Unfortunately, business is a bit slow lately, and until I finish school, I won't hav time to go dig up work,... but that is soon, so I'm not worried.

Power, again good question. I do like the idea of the smaller / lighter 4.3 (supercharged) up front, but may opt to go with the 5.7l v-8 instead. Ideally, HP has GOT to be atleast 365 :wink: (that's what I had in the Ragazza), preferably more, but alot depends too; We all know that with excessive HP, the 16 can get squirely, but moving the engine may make a huge difference in that arena, and just because you have it, doesn't mean you have to use it. I'd rather be over powered than underpowered, that's for sure.

I'm still tossing around the front hatch idea, but right now am leaning away from it. I'd love the extra people room, but with the location of the engine, and how I decide to propel it (still up in the air), not sure it's going to be feasible.

I appreciate the support I'm getting from those interested in the project, it is VERY exciting to me too, as Russ mentioned, I can sling a wrench with the best of 'em, but my glass skills,...... well, I'll be drawing a lot from the wealth of knowledge here, and learning as I go,.... may even "farm" out some of it.

Right now, I think my biggest question is the drive train

I know I'm doing a forward engine, and will be moving the drivers position as far back as I can, but I'm not sure if I'm going straight drive through a tranny, or through an out-drive driven from a long shaft from the engine, or maybe even something from the surface arena. My initial thought right now, is a 9* borg tranny with a 1.5 ratio, but have heard some concerns with trying to minimize the shaft angle, and that with this short hull and the front engine placement, that it may be easy to spin out with too much shaft angle.

Anyway, still fielding input for this one ;)

Thanks again for the support, it's nice to have a driving force besides myself behind this project :D :D

Oh yeah,.... Crazy Chinese Chicken could be a cool name for the boat :wink:

Donziweasel
10-23-2008, 06:45 AM
With an Arneson, the tranny is on the exterior bolted to the drive, eliminating one problem. :wink:

onesubdrvr
10-23-2008, 02:20 PM
Only if you use the extension box..

Mid engine, mid tranny, aluminum driveshaft..

I was wondering about that.

But still the ? remains,..... strait shaft drive, strait shaft to out drive, or surface drive?

I was at Stuart Prop & marine the other day, talking about my project, and he's the one that said I need to keep the shaft angle as shallow as possible if I go straight shaft, which I don't have a problem doing, but then he mentioned that in that set up it may like to spin out (input??)

He recommended the surface drive, but that may be a little excessive(?)

Wayne

Donziweasel
10-23-2008, 04:36 PM
Wayne, if you wanted something truely unique, look at the Arneson. As stated, if you use the extension box, the transmission is bolted to the drive. With this being a 16, space is going to be a premium and this will eliminate a transmission in the hull. I think I remember that an Arneson is pretty comprarable in price to a standard stern drive. They market them for any kind of boat, performance or not. Plus, I just think it would be cool and will shoot a HELL of a rooster.

onesubdrvr
10-23-2008, 04:39 PM
Wayne, if you wanted something truely unique, look at the Arneson. As stated, if you use the extension box, the transmission is bolted to the drive. With this being a 16, space is going to be a premium and this will eliminate a transmission in the hull. I think I remember that an Arneson is pretty comprarable in price to a standard stern drive. They market them for any kind of boat, performance or not. Plus, I just think it would be cool and will shoot a HELL of a rooster.
Chicken,.... Rooster,..... hmmmmm might be something there ;)

But, with the garage, I may not have the room to throw an extra 31" past the transom,....

but cool IS cool ;)

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
10-23-2008, 08:43 PM
Check out this 16 referred to above . It was formally a I/O converted to V drive. It also had the one bench seat located in front of engine. I have more but can"t upload. Send me your e-mail if you want to see hull forward. or the cool fabricated deck and single bench. You may inspire me to finish mine!

sweet 16 1966
10-23-2008, 09:13 PM
Pics sent....

onesubdrvr
10-23-2008, 09:14 PM
Pics sent....

Thanks Russ,... :yes::biggrin.:

I'll be giving them a good look over, that boat turned out beautifully!!

Wayne

BigGrizzly
10-24-2008, 11:30 AM
The reason the prop shaft shaft angle needs to be straight is for speed and handling otherwise it will plow . A 16 is really short for a v drive.

onesubdrvr
10-24-2008, 02:51 PM
Thanks Grizz,

I've decided to stay away from the strait drive, and go with something on the transom, not quite sure yet. As I'm having to get the "whole kit and kaboodle", I may look at an ASD6 or 8 (8 as I can have the tranny attached to the engine.)

I'm thinking a Class A 72C Velvet drive, but the shaft angle is strait, so I'd have to angle the engine, or use a drive shaft with universals and loose a little power due to the change in angle.

The other Velvet trannies with the offset seem to be limited to about 350hp.

Buiz / Grizz / all, what's your input on trannies?

Of course, if I go outdrive, I don't need to worry about the tranny as it'll be in the drive. How about the idea of using a Volvo set-up, raising the x-dimension by about 1 1/2"? Downside here, is that the shaft will run through the seating area,.... can't have that unless it's low enough to make like a drive shaft tunnell in a car,..... I'm going to have to measure this one when I get the boat here.

Thanks!
Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-24-2008, 03:25 PM
I think BW makes a 10* drop....

BigGrizzly
10-24-2008, 04:55 PM
BW is the only good choice.

onesubdrvr
10-24-2008, 05:10 PM
Sounds like a BW is called for then. I haven't researched them very much lately, last time I did, it was for a V-Drive tranny for a crackerbox I was considering.

I thought they may have something.

Thanks ;)
Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-24-2008, 05:15 PM
I belive it is Mike Yobes (?) boat, pictures sent by Russ, this is pretty close to what I was initially considering, except I'm moving my engine forward, drivers seat back, and STRONGLY considering the pop-out pup panel for a couple of kids up front. I'm playing with the drawing now.

Thanks for the pictures Russ, again, Mikes boat came out BEAUTIFULLY!!

Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-24-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm thinking something like this,...

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
10-24-2008, 11:53 PM
Now thats different!

BigGrizzly
10-25-2008, 08:20 AM
Actually, with the C72 BW velvet drive or the 71, or the new one on the 350 or what ever a drop down will not be needed. there might be a little hump as in a car in the rear seat but not a lot. Your drawing may be a little off scale. especially with a 350CID. The front seat could be back even farther, just a guess. the trans is really short between 11 to 15 inches before input shaft. In my Criterion the old Merc trans is really short. I am not suggesting you go with one just a comparison. Stay away from the crash boxes because of noise and shock to out drive. Nothing nicer then putting it into gear and the boat just moves. Since you are starting from scratch get a set up with readily available parts, drive trans etc. A little extra $ now is a savings later. My personal feelings is this project could be a family keepsake. If I was 50 again I would love this project. At that time in my life I decided to go after the vintage motorcycle championship. Yes I got it, but it is just memories and the motorcycle now, nothing I can still use. Maybe it was the right decision, my sons and my wife got to enjoy my past and I relived my youth. Today your project seems really cool, like Mike's. Looks to me like he pulled out all the stops.

onesubdrvr
10-25-2008, 09:38 PM
Working on a Cad drawing, and need a little help,...

I need a good dimensional drawing of a chevy 350 v8, and 231 v6.

I am foreseeing some problems, and need to lay everything out.

1) Exhaust, I'll have to run over to the edge, then back to the transom, so I've got to leave enough room between the tub for the bench seat and the hull for them.

2) Drive line - I'll be able to figure this out better with some dimensional drawings. Right now, I may need to angle to the drive, and have to estimate what drop angle to use.

3) In my drawing, I figured a little over 2' (front to back) for the engine hatch, but I need to make sure I'll have room to yank the engine strait up, and see how much the tranny causes problems with interference. If I have to pull the engine, I don't want it to be a fight.

I can get the drawings I need from Borg Warner and Arneson, but can't find anything good for the GM engines.

Thanks!
Wayne

BigGrizzly
10-26-2008, 08:31 AM
The exhaust is easy, run it like a ski boat, ie mastercraft or ski nautic. As for pulling engine, as long as hatch is wide, the engine can be rotated and lifted. If you make it the same as the rear hatch it will work. The only problem is foot room on the center of the bench or put the wheel in the center and straddle the hump. I am not sure which way I would go side sear or center. Mainly because I usually travel with another person.

BUIZILLA
10-26-2008, 09:13 AM
Wayne.... weekend of Nov 8th is Roar and Soar at Fantasy in Flight at Polk City... you can squawk and gawk at a LOT of the skiffer's in attendance, they LOVE to give free rides... i'm going to try and attend, if nothing else to just walk around :kingme: since what your really doing is making a skiffer wannabe out of a 16 pusher.... I would tuck in the exhaust and run it down the center, if it was me :cool:

I still like the SC-V6 upfront idea... :)

onesubdrvr
10-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Wayne.... weekend of Nov 8th is Roar and Soar at Fantasy in Flight at Polk City... you can squawk and gawk at a LOT of the skiffer's in attendance, they LOVE to give free rides... i'm going to try and attend, if nothing else to just walk around :kingme: since what your really doing is making a skiffer wannabe out of a 16 pusher.... I would tuck in the exhaust and run it down the center, if it was me :cool:

I still like the SC-V6 upfront idea... :)
Jim,

I think there is lots of advantages to putting a SC-V6 up there instead of an 8,.... weight being the big one.

I'll have to check the Roar and Soar out, maybe I'll take a drive up there too.

Maybe not a bad idea running the exhaust down the center, though I had envisioned a center steer,... but that will be one of my last concerns I imagine. With the engine being that much more forward, if I run a jacketed vice wet exhaust (or either way really), can I get away with more cam to make more power?

Thanks
Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-26-2008, 09:19 AM
The exhaust is easy, run it like a ski boat, ie mastercraft or ski nautic. As for pulling engine, as long as hatch is wide, the engine can be rotated and lifted. If you make it the same as the rear hatch it will work. The only problem is foot room on the center of the bench or put the wheel in the center and straddle the hump. I am not sure which way I would go side sear or center. Mainly because I usually travel with another person.

Grizz,

Yeah, I can see footroom in the center being a concern, again, I'll have to "mock" everything up befor I really start moving on this.

I think I'll prefer a center steer, but you definitely have a valid point about a passenger, I can't see my wife getting excited about this if the seating it too close,.... but, it will force her to sit closer to me ;), even when she's mad :mad: lol :kingme:

Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Wayne, I have (had) a friend in Cally that recently took his own life, a boating freak from the word go, but he had a house on Parker he went weekly too, I went there for his batchelor party, that's a forward thinking boating audience in itself... I digress, anyways he had an older V hull (?) jet boat he was going to do the same thing with as your idea.. turbo big Chevy up front, with rear steer and SINGLE center exhaust with some kind of jackshafted surfacer drive... he was going to run the exhaust on TOP of the drive tunnel in a single 5" attached tube and exit the transom in the center of the hull... he decided that twin seating in the rear meant to split the dimensions 25-25-25-25. The driver and passenger occupied the center dimension centering measurements, IOW slighty offset rear steer. In my mind, this is how the skiffers do it anyways. He also was going to use a wide twin trim tab/levelor/cavitation plate cross transom setup so he could slightly bias the handling if running solo, same as the skiffers do... He was wayyyyyyy ahead of his time, but this is a guy who told and showed Garrett how to better build and balance turbochargers, and they listened to him. He also designed rotor blade balancers for the helo industry.. He decided on this drive setup for himself because one day when it was a jet drive he was headed upriver with his son about 80-85 mph and for some reason the jet gate reversed, and submerged the bow, catapulted the hull, ejected the passengers, and almost killed both of them, it took years for the son to recover... Brilliant guy, one of my true closest and trusted industry friends, who selfishly wasted himself with a bullet...

onesubdrvr
10-26-2008, 10:03 AM
Buiz,

Sorry to hear about your friend, truely saddening.

I like the idea of a big single exhaust,.... again, unique. I think there is big advantages to keeping everything as close to the center and as low as possible. My understanding (from your post) is that the driver / passanger took up the MIDDLE 50 % of the bench, and in this case would only be separated by the drive tunnel and exhaust. Definitely sounds workable. Also, the trim tab / cav. plate sounds similar to what I've seen on the skiffs, full width, 6-9" long, and I'm sure would be a world of help by both extending the running surface, and trimability at speed.

Thanks for your input, and I'll give you a buzz if I can make it up to the show.

Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Wayne, the single exhaust idea was because single turbo's use a single downpipe... his first engine was a 455 Olds/Berkley/Nickson, then he went to a 460 Ford/Berkley/? which submarined...

his cav plate(s) were going to be something like 30-36" x 6-8" one on either side, mechanical T handle w/detent, like the SK boats use... I wanna say it was a Howard (?) V hull, looked like a stretched X18 I remember that much... he also had Sanger(?)/FE Ford/jet for awhile, but it ALWAYS took water over the stern on the Parker raftup beach's.... those Parker people are players, if it doesn't run over 100, don't launch it.. God, I miss that guy, what a thinker he was...

Lenny
10-26-2008, 11:20 AM
I have a 1967 "mule" here that I can measure/hack/modify for any purpose it may serve you. :)

250-474-4005 B
250-361-8234 C
E highlnd@telus.net

onesubdrvr
10-26-2008, 12:07 PM
I have a 1967 "mule" here that I can measure/hack/modify for any purpose it may serve you. :)

250-474-4005 B
250-361-8234 C
E highlnd@telus.net

Thanks Lenny, I'm sure I'll be in touch.

As of right now, it's to the drawing board, and try to do some mock ups and see where I stand,...... this is going to be a long, fun and rewarding project :yes::shades:

Wayne

Donziweasel
10-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Wayne,
Just curious, do you still have the Ragu or did you sell it? It was a nice Ragazza.

onesubdrvr
10-29-2008, 08:39 PM
Wayne,
Just curious, do you still have the Ragu or did you sell it? It was a nice Ragazza.

Sold it some time ago to a nice guy over in Naples, he had it for 2 1/2 years or so, and had it just recently on E-Bay. Really the last thing it needed was some interior work, he did upholstery work, and re-did the entire interior,.... it looked sweet!!

It was nice, ran great, but was Waaayyyy too loud,.... thanks for the compliment ;)

Wayne

onesubdrvr
11-02-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, I've done some cut and paste in PhotoShop, and have a proposal for the bench with a jump seat and without. I mocked it up with the steering in the center, but that is likely to change.

I'm thinking I like it without the jump seat more, but of course, the jump seat will have a hard cover like the engine hatch, so it would pretty much look the same if it were just a couple of us in the boat, so may do it anyway.

The mock up is just to show how far forward I think it would need to be, may even need to be a little more forward than that, but it really won't need to be as wide (front to back) as it is, as there is no steering to be concerned with / etc.

again, just a mock up, but using the top-view photo helps keep a proper scale.

Wayne

Greg Guimond
11-02-2008, 01:02 PM
Just my .02 ...........

Keep the jump but narrow it and flip the radius to the other side. Looks cool when the hard top becomes the "back" of the jump seat for the kids with underbelly tuck and roll for classic "bling".

onesubdrvr
11-02-2008, 02:04 PM
I agree,

I just did it that way, because it was easier for me to cut and paste that way ;)

I was really thinking just a rectangular cut-out, but once I get the full idea I want, I'll refine it step by step and see where it takes me ;)

Thanks for your opinion :D

Wayne

onesubdrvr
11-02-2008, 02:15 PM
Just my .02 ...........

Keep the jump but narrow it and flip the radius to the other side. Looks cool when the hard top becomes the "back" of the jump seat for the kids with underbelly tuck and roll for classic "bling".

More like this?

Wayne

Greg Guimond
11-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Correct. I think it will "frame" the topside look better when the jump is open.

Side benefit ......

Jump good for little folks
Jump good for a bit of ad hoc storage
Jump takes (1) of (1) concept further with rumble seat "bling"

onesubdrvr
11-06-2008, 08:47 PM
I happened across the 16' thread where cracker boxes were mentioned, and that's the way I'm planning on going. I'm going to bring the back of the bench to about 6" from the transom, and move the engine forward of that.

I'm still tossing around the front bench seat idea.

Question though, If I use an out-drive, it's not really an issue, just a torque tube to the drive with U-Joints on either end, then engine output shaft, and the drive shaft will be at pretty similar heights; however, if I decide to go with a surface drive, I may be able to eliminate the "hump" between the seats as the input shaft to the surface drive will be much lower, there will be an angle, which I can eliminate on the engine end with the tranny with say a 10* offset from the input shaft, but that would leave an angle on the surface drive input shaft - perhaps I should go with a strait output shaft to equally divide the angle between both ends.

Is there a generally acceptable angle for the drive shaft? is it dependent on length? would a standard automotive drive shaft work, or will I have to do something different? U-Joints OK?

I'm just so used to standard out drives where (because of the coupling / etc.) that the alignment has to be perfect, and I'm concerned about power loss with excessive angle on the u-joints,.... are my concerns valid?

Thanks
Wayne

BigGrizzly
11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
With a drive shaft alligment is not nearlu as criticle as the drive bolted directally to the engine.

onesubdrvr
11-08-2008, 07:15 AM
Good to know that there woud be no adverse effects from running a drive shaft, and thank goodness for the additional tolerance (if you will) on alignment.

Now, I was reading some of GEOO's OLD threads with the arneson that he put on the X, and one proplem he had with it was the lack of bow lift (hence the addition of the rocker plates).

Conversely, people here have mentioned how much bow lift the 16 has. In my grand plan, I plan on moving the engine forward quite a bit, and the driver aft quite a bit, but the movement will (should) decrease bow lift a little because of the added weight forward. So I'm wondering if that would be counter productive.

I'm going to be calling Arneson sometime in the near future for some input as well, but I'm wondering if I'll encounter similar problems to GEOO, or if the 16 is going to be a completely different beast.

I'm still considering a standard out-drive with a raised X dimension as well :D

Wayne

BigGrizzly
11-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Wel first Geoo had an 18, and he sat i n the front and had a fuel cell not a gas tank. As for balance the engine is heavier then passengers i the rear. He also had a trim fin on the shaft which added in the handling. Before that it was ill handling. There was no transmission and was a direct drive and no neutral, no reverse only forward. The boat still lives. My suggestion is talk to Geoo himself, because he told Arneston not the other way around. Me I think his boat was extraordinary, as he is also. It took him years to hone the boat's performance.
I still like the out drive idea with engine forward idea. This is a boat that could be very functional as well as unique.

Lenny
11-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Wayne, glad you found the "Crackerbox thread" . ;)

You MIGHT find that there is room for the tranny (72C) underneath you. Also, sitting in the back already and weight distribution etc, you might even be able to get away with a 7 deg Casale V-drive and flip the motor around. You should have good bow lift already and if you flip the motor around you can "suck it closer" to you in the bench.

???
:)

Wayne, you should spend some time here. There are a LOT of boat builders here from around the globe. http://www.boatdesign.net/

onesubdrvr
11-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Wel first Geoo had an 18, and he sat i n the front and had a fuel cell not a gas tank. As for balance the engine is heavier then passengers i the rear. He also had a trim fin on the shaft which added in the handling. Before that it was ill handling. There was no transmission and was a direct drive and no neutral, no reverse only forward. The boat still lives. My suggestion is talk to Geoo himself, because he told Arneston not the other way around. Me I think his boat was extraordinary, as he is also. It took him years to hone the boat's performance.
I still like the out drive idea with engine forward idea. This is a boat that could be very functional as well as unique.

Outdrive is still definitely on my list, but as I'm starting from scratch, I'm giving a lot of consideration to the Arneson, especially with a tranny. One of my biggest concerns is handling, and I think re-distribution of the weight will help a lot, but I'm no expert. Also, as I plan on having at least 365hp, I don't want to go with an Alpha, perhaps a Volvo (there is a speedmaster I'm looking at), or a newer Volvo SX drive, or a Bravo - with a Bravo, there is a TON of options as far as shorties, etc. that would help tweak the boat without having to re-do transom work / etc. I've got a e-mail to Geoo, and will weigh the pros and cons before I order anything ;)

Wayne, glad you found the "Crackerbox thread" . ;)

You MIGHT find that there is room for the tranny (72C) underneath you. Also, sitting in the back already and weight distribution etc, you might even be able to get away with a 7 deg Casale V-drive and flip the motor around. You should have good bow lift already and if you flip the motor around you can "suck it closer" to you in the bench.

???
:)

Wayne, you should spend some time here. There are a LOT of boat builders here from around the globe. http://www.boatdesign.net/

Didn't think about putting the tranny under the bench, and I think you're right, it may help bring it even further back. I liked the idea of a console between the driver and passanger sides, and could use it to house the throttle, as I would like to position the passengers closer to the center for balance reasons. Also, I intend on "lowering" the seats a little for a more of an "in the boat" feel. I guess part of the concern, is that with putting the engine forward, and the concerns of drive shaft, that if it's not a true bench, then I'd want to design it for 2 passengers closer to the center.

I'm going to check out that site and see what else I can't think up,.. thanks for the link :)

Wayne

Greg Guimond
12-11-2008, 11:23 AM
Wayne,

I am sure that I have missed several chapters but I ran across a paint scheme that might look very cool on your project. :cool:

Just my .02 ...............if you are still "at it" !

Planetwarmer
12-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Well, as it goes, I was made an offer I couldn't refuse, I was given a 16 hull - empty and needing a complete resoration, and, it'll fit in the (air conditioned) garage :D . Some of you may have seen my I/O vs Outboard thread or my 40th anniversary 16 thread, but at the recommendation of the great modifier Lenny (:worthy:) and what I want to do, is convert this old girl to a bench seat 16, moving the seating all the way back against the engine compartment (the deck is gone and needs to be completely redone, so why not?). Anyway, I played around a little tonight and this is what I came up with (initial proposal).

Questions will abound, but one step at a time :D

Wayne

You could move the bench all the way around to the transom if you had an outboard motor, say a 1960's era merc, and have as much room as a 22!

Hell, put twin merc 80's (800) on there! OR 4 20hp Merc outboards!!!! It would sound cool. You could do some trick photography and show the pics to all the ladies and tell them it is a custom built 36 foot donzi. Just dont let them actually see the boat.

zelatore
12-11-2008, 12:16 PM
Hell, put twin merc 80's (800) on there! OR 4 20hp Merc outboards!!!! It would sound cool. You could do some trick photography and show the pics to all the ladies and tell them it is a custom built 36 foot donzi. Just dont let them actually see the boat.

4 2-stroke 20hp mercs....somehow I picture it sounding about like the giant-scale R/C B-29 from this thread
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55260&highlight=r%2Fc

onesubdrvr
12-11-2008, 02:57 PM
Wayne,

I am sure that I have missed several chapters but I ran across a paint scheme that might look very cool on your project. :cool:

Just my .02 ...............if you are still "at it" !
That's a sharp looking paint job, and I'll keep it in mind, but I've got an idea I need to draw out a little better.

Thanks for the input!!
Wayne

Planetwarmer
12-12-2008, 02:26 AM
First the R7D is the marine division and some testing is there they are enlarging the old Facility which use to be a house of sorts. As for props when I typed it I was thinking the same thing. I am sure it will still porpoise more then normal.

It wont porpoise if only the prop is in the water!:nilly:

onesubdrvr
12-21-2008, 08:19 PM
Well,

As I've been plotting my project ;) and have come to realize that this project is going to take probably two years,.... I don't mind at all, but am itching to get back on the water, so I've been looking at CHEAP (1500 or so) center consoles to run around the river while I whiddle away at my project,.... (cheap as not to take away from my project too much)

THEN,...

I saw the F-14 resto threads :eek: And started thinking why not make the 16 a CC or F-14ish? But with an outboard? It would be quicker and cheaper to do, more utilitarian, etc.

I'm sure there is other 16 hulls out there for my bench seat center drive project(?)

Anyway, just thought I'd toss it out there for discussion, any thoughts on this?

Wayne

chappy
12-21-2008, 08:33 PM
I love the versatility of cc's. Throw the lightest/most efficient o/b of your choice on the back and have at it.

onesubdrvr
12-24-2008, 02:18 PM
Hey Lenny / all

Approximately what is the difference in height from the top of the stringers to the top of the gunwhale (bottom of deck)?

Thanks!
Wayne

Lenny
12-24-2008, 02:54 PM
Hey Lenny / all

Approximately what is the difference in height from the top of the stringers to the top of the gunwhale (bottom of deck)?

Thanks!
Wayne

Oh sure, just cuz I got another foot of snow and you think I have nothing better to do than measure hulls in the white stuff :bonk:

I am not sure what you are describing here. ???

onesubdrvr
12-24-2008, 03:17 PM
Oh sure, just cuz I got another foot of snow and you think I have nothing better to do than measure hulls in the white stuff :bonk:

I am not sure what you are describing here. ???
ANOTHER foot??? WOW!

Basically, how "deep" can the kokpit tub be made (so to sit deeper in the boat)

Wayne

onesubdrvr
01-11-2009, 04:15 PM
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

The garage is clean (enough) REPEAT: The garage is clean (enough)

So, I'm now ready to try to get the boat to Sunny (today) PSL, FL.

Anyone that happens to make it up to PA on business / visiting / etc. and that may have an empty ball on their vehicle to bring it back, I'd be glad to compensate for some gas with cash, vinyl work, paint work, or web work,... geesh, say that three times fast lol.

Remember, it's just an empty hull and deck, no motor or drive to contend with for weight, should be an easy tow,.... trailer is solid, and has new tires.

No hurry, I'm just not sure when I'll get a free few days to go and get her.

First two pictures are the "after" pics, the last one is when I had just gotten started :confused::eek:

Thanks again!
Wayne

chappy
01-12-2009, 09:19 AM
***IMPORTANT UPDATE***

The garage is clean (enough) REPEAT: The garage is clean (enough)

So, I'm now ready to try to get the boat to Sunny (today) PSL, FL.

Anyone that happens to make it up to PA on business / visiting / etc. and that may have an empty ball on their vehicle to bring it back, I'd be glad to compensate for some gas with cash, vinyl work, paint work, or web work,... geesh, say that three times fast lol.

Remember, it's just an empty hull and deck, no motor or drive to contend with for weight, should be an easy tow,.... trailer is solid, and has new tires.

No hurry, I'm just not sure when I'll get a free few days to go and get her.

First two pictures are the "after" pics, the last one is when I had just gotten started :confused::eek:

Thanks again!
Wayne

I'm going to miss the Chicken in the shop.:frown:

I'll be in the USVI from 1/17-1/24, but after that, I'll be available to take the first leg of the trip. I can get the daisy chain started as far as Chester, VA, it's about 1/2 hour south of Richmond, or anywhere in between here and there.

Gotta love a road trip.:drive:

onesubdrvr
01-12-2009, 07:58 PM
I'm going to miss the Chicken in the shop.:frown:

I'll be in the USVI from 1/17-1/24, but after that, I'll be available to take the first leg of the trip. I can get the daisy chain started as far as Chester, VA, it's about 1/2 hour south of Richmond, or anywhere in between here and there.

Gotta love a road trip.:drive:
Thanks Rich!!

My boat building buddy has a trailer to deliver to Fountain some time in the next couple of weeks, and has family in Philly, so he may even be able to make it that far,.... also, has a place that it can be dropped off (industrial complex) so nobody is waiting on anybody.

I'll be in touch, as I don't know exactly when he's making the trip, and I know you'll be gone in a week.

Your package shipped today, and you should get it before you leave town ;)

Have a good trip!!

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
01-17-2009, 08:42 AM
Wayne. If you don't use the hand rail mounting brackets- hollar! I will need them on my project one day. Of course, I will also need an engine, drive seat- you get the idea! For my 65 hull to be mated with my 67 deck -16-. But thats not until putting the 66 back together.
Like your planes. My Dad passed away in 96- that was his passion! I never got the fever cause every summer growing up- we would be at an airforce base or flying field somewhere in the country as he competed in pattern flying and some pylon racing. Took second in the nationals one year- beat by Phil Kraft. His gig was "CE Electronics" (servos and radios) Anyway- many memories. Good stuff!

onesubdrvr
01-17-2009, 11:23 PM
Wayne. If you don't use the hand rail mounting brackets- hollar! I will need them on my project one day. Of course, I will also need an engine, drive seat- you get the idea! For my 65 hull to be mated with my 67 deck -16-. But thats not until putting the 66 back together.
Like your planes. My Dad passed away in 96- that was his passion! I never got the fever cause every summer growing up- we would be at an airforce base or flying field somewhere in the country as he competed in pattern flying and some pylon racing. Took second in the nationals one year- beat by Phil Kraft. His gig was "CE Electronics" (servos and radios) Anyway- many memories. Good stuff!
Russ,

Absolutely will keep you in mind. I'm not sure yet what I'm doing with the hand rail, some depends on how deep I can sit in the boat with the new deck / tub. But, if I decide not to use 'em, they're yours.

I like the planes too, but have decided my hangar is too full, I'm selling most of them, and keeping one or two.

I don't compete, just fly for fun, but if I were going to compete, it would be pattern flying - it's a lot of fun to try to cary our a specific aerobatic sequence,.... kind of like figure skating with a plane. I like to go fast, but not to race,.... just crank up the engine and let it scream.

When the Donzi gets here, I wont have time for the planes,.... priorities ;)

Wayne

sweet 16 1966
01-18-2009, 12:46 AM
Sounds like you are preparing for the Donzi and if you are selling the planes - you are getting serious. Thanks for sharing your idea with us and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Good Luck Wayne!

onesubdrvr
01-18-2009, 01:29 PM
Sounds like you are preparing for the Donzi and if you are selling the planes - you are getting serious. Thanks for sharing your idea with us and it will be interesting to see how it turns out. Good Luck Wayne!
Yup, very serious,.... it's going to be a long project, but well worth it in the end (I think ;) ),....

I will keep a journal, and keep posting for sure ;)

Wayne

chappy
02-22-2009, 10:35 AM
Possible transport this week, it's a long shot, but maybe.:crossfing:

chappy
02-25-2009, 08:05 AM
Long shot found the net, it's rolling south as of 7AM today. Bye bye birdie.:drive:

onesubdrvr
02-25-2009, 05:21 PM
Long shot found the net, it's rolling south as of 7AM today. Bye bye birdie.:drive:
YEAH!!! It is scheduled to be at my sisters place near Gainsville Friday afternoon.

I've managed to get the garage crapped up again as my paint work has been keeping me busy,..... I think I'm going to need to find a place away from the house to store / work on it,.... but I REALLY want it here,...

Oh well, it's on the way, and that's the important thing!

MANY MANY MANY thanks to all involved :D :D

Wayne

gcarter
02-27-2009, 08:28 PM
I spoke w/someone this morning that had your boat in tow on the way to meet your brother??????
Congratulations.
When you pick it up, you should drop by.
My cell # is 352-267-9801.
Hopefully, I'll be gelling the hull this weekend.

onesubdrvr
02-28-2009, 03:44 PM
I spoke w/someone this morning that had your boat in tow on the way to meet your brother??????
Congratulations.
When you pick it up, you should drop by.
My cell # is 352-267-9801.
Hopefully, I'll be gelling the hull this weekend.
Yup, it is safely (:crossfing:) in the posession of my sister and brother-in-law.

When I go up there, I'll give you a buzz. Not sure when that's going to be yet.

I just lost A LOT of garage space, as I've got a new helicopter to paint for a customer,.... get this,... 12' long, 5' high and 5' wide!!! that's darn near as big as the boat lol.

Anyway, it's a good paying job that will give me some $$ to work on the 16 with,....

Anyway, we'll definitely hook up, in fact, I'm considering Dora this year for the antique boat show, and to pick up the 16.

Thanks!
Wayne

Lenny
03-01-2009, 05:03 PM
I was doing this to the old '67 16 all along, just not right now. Anyways, here are a few pics of my "hack" job. Now it will sit for another couple years :D

The pics are as follows. 18" forward of the aft seat the distance between the cockpits is 64". 29" forward of that mark again the hull is 64" across. The length of the stock cockpit is 69" (wonder how they came up with that number :D )

A 40" cockpit is plenty for a side by side configuration, hence the 29" coming out. The plywood is 29" x 64". There is a vertical return of 10" on starboard and 12" on port. I then penciled in the "cut" lines and transposed those on the floor as well.

Then I got the router and down spiral Diamond cutter out with a guide and ran around the perimeter. Then the diamond grinder/cutter for the inner cockpit tub. Then all the pieces pulled out and I slid the dash section back. It gives you an idea at least.

There is a lot of marrying and inner floor/seat area work to be done and cut out the dash on starboard to match port for the other passengers' legs but the concept is there. The trick was to have exact cockpit widths for glassing these together in the future. This location allowed for that.
ALL the coring is soaking wet in this hull. ALL OF IT. Everywhere.

The stringers need to be cut down at this location as well, hence the taller profile.

Enjoy :D

onesubdrvr
03-01-2009, 07:48 PM
Lenny,

Thanks for the photos!! I can see all sorts of potential with that!

Again, mine is going to be slightly different as I am moving the engine forward, but you've given me some heads up on how to proceed :)

Thanks!
Wayne

onesubdrvr
04-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Well, we're getting closer and closer to starting the Crazy Chinese Chicken.

The boat is still at my sisters, but we are dropping the kids off there on April 10th for the week (spring break), and will be picking them back up on the 18th. When we pick them back up, the Chicken will be in tow back to Port St. Lucie.

I can't wait to get starter :D :D

Wayne

BigGrizzly
04-01-2009, 07:11 PM
Go Wayne go.

onesubdrvr
04-18-2009, 07:34 PM
Well, after 9 hours of driving, the Chinese Chicken has made it to it's new full-time home in Port St. Lucie.

More pictures tomorrow as I situate it in the garage, which is going to require some garage cleaning, and car shuffling. At least momma is taking the girls to go see the Hanna Montana movie tomorrow ;)

Wayne

Also, I'm going to dig around under the deck and try to find the hull number ;)

chappy
04-19-2009, 11:06 AM
Also, I'm going to dig around under the deck and try to find the hull number ;)

Be careful under that deck man, I seem to have misplaced some whacky stuff in the shop. I may have dropped it while taking some pics.........

:wrench:

:lookaroun:

onesubdrvr
04-19-2009, 11:09 AM
I did find one unique item upon initial inspection ;) and it's pretty damned cool :yes:

I just got done bringing the boat up the driveway, trying to decide how to move stuff around in the garage so that it fits completely, and allows me access to everything else I need in there.

This trailer is stout for sure, and LONG, 22'5 or so - exactly the length of my garage ;) so I just need to make sure I get it where I want it.

It actually may not be in the garage for long, as I have a buddy who has more room than me, and is going to help me with the project ;)

Wayne

DonziFreak
04-19-2009, 11:30 AM
This trailer is stout for sure, and LONG, 22'5 or so - exactly the length of my garage ;) so I just need to make sure I get it where I want it.

Sounds to me like you need a bigger garage......:yes:

"Hey hunny....where did I put that sledge hammer?":bonk:

Greg Guimond
10-17-2009, 10:14 AM
What is the latest with the "Chicken" ?

joseph m. hahnl
10-18-2009, 10:56 AM
:kingme: not this good

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20145&d=1145738511 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=20145&d=1145738511)

Lenny
10-19-2009, 09:01 AM
Any more pics of that ??? The 18 above ???

Please share. :yes:

Just Say N20
10-19-2009, 09:20 AM
It is a 16.

Lenny
10-19-2009, 10:11 AM
Very nice :yes: LOTS of work ...

Bamboo Loui
10-19-2009, 12:53 PM
that is a really beautiful boat-- love to see in person

onesubdrvr
10-20-2009, 10:30 AM
What is the latest with the "Chicken" ?
Made no progress over the summer, as they always say, life gets in the way,....

But I am determined,... hopefully I'll get some time this fall / winter as winter in Florida is a beautiful thing :D :D

Wayne

Greg Guimond
10-20-2009, 07:41 PM
It takes time AND inspiration ...........

Sweet Cheekz
10-20-2009, 07:52 PM
It is a 16.

Who's where is it and whats in it? Awesome boat!
Parnell

Just Say N20
10-21-2009, 08:26 AM
Who's where is it and whats in it? Awesome boat!
Parnell

I wish I knew. I collect pictures, and have all sorts of stuff tucked away. I don't know the history of this boat, but absolutely love the look. I'm sure someone here knows more about ownership, current location, etc.

Sorry.

mattyboy
10-21-2009, 08:30 AM
I wish I knew. I collect pictures, and have all sorts of stuff tucked away. I don't know the history of this boat, but absolutely love the look. I'm sure someone here knows more about ownership, current location, etc.
Sorry.

do a search on Rustnrot( tom) he is a board member here him and his friend mike ( i think) built that boat I have pics of the before boat was a blue v drive 16.

chappy
10-21-2009, 08:48 AM
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=46367&highlight=wood+deck+classic

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23908&d=1157868566 (http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=23908&d=1157868566)

There are some more pics in the above thread of this 16, from a show in NC in '06.

Sorry about the hijack Wayne.:redface:

onesubdrvr
10-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Sorry about the hijack Wayne.:redface:
No worries,.... keeping the thread alive may help give me the kick in the arse I need.

Also, desperately needing garage space, had it all set at one point, then my sister moved in,.....

But, she's moving out now, I just never will understand her,... and I'm getting rid of my RC stuff (no time),... so maybe I'll get it clean again........ also, have some paint projects coming up, when they are done, the paint stuff is going to storage until the Crazy Chinese Chicken is ready for paint lol.

:D
Wayne

MOP
10-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Several of us got a good hands on inspection of the 16 that Rust&Rots buddy built at the Dora show a couple of years ago, It is without doubt a sweet little package!

Ditto On the semi HiJack Wayne, only semi as it is another one seater!!!

onesubdrvr
10-27-2009, 07:12 PM
Several of us got a good hands on inspection of the 16 that Rust&Rots buddy built at the Dora show a couple of years ago, It is without doubt a sweet little package!

Ditto On the semi HiJack Wayne, only semi as it is another one seater!!!

That is a beautiful boat, no shame in the hijack for that piece of work ..... and I'm thinking about doing something similar, but again, moving the seat to the transom, and I'm thinking about doing it more of a flat deck.

But again, progress is halted by life lol

Hope you're doing good old man ;)

Wayne

gcarter
10-27-2009, 08:18 PM
Made no progress over the summer, as they always say, life gets in the way,....

But I am determined,... hopefully I'll get some time this fall / winter as winter in Florida is a beautiful thing :D :D

Wayne
Too hot in the summer anyway.
We're just now coming into the season.

Lenny
10-27-2009, 08:44 PM

I WOULD like to be able to say that... but I can't.

onesubdrvr
10-28-2009, 05:47 PM
I agree,.... this summer has seemed absolutely brutal to me,....

but alas, I am determined :D

Wayne