PDA

View Full Version : totally way old school cool

mattyboy
10-15-2008, 06:04 PM
well sorry I missed the lake george fun run this past weekend the donzi crew had a blast last year and they had the same awesome weather
really sorry i missed seeing this one in person

outstanding!!!!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Now that really inspires me to get to work on my Magnum project! I wonder if I will look a little like Sean Connery when I finish and drive mine. A man can dream - lol. Thanks for the picture - where did you get it if you weren't there? Bill

chappy
10-15-2008, 06:30 PM
That's first rate there, thanks Senator.

cutwater
10-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Oh, that is fantastic... :worthy:

mattyboy
10-15-2008, 06:39 PM
the senator has ways and means ;)

some guys from my lake went up these where on the LG fun run thread on OSO

mphatc
10-15-2008, 07:25 PM
All these Magnum 27s . . . .another beautiful picture!

I can't take it!!! Anyone want a Corsican??

Mario

HIGH LIFE
10-15-2008, 07:30 PM
Giving this MAGNUM a closer look it appears to be a Starfire. Intakes look a lot larger than the Sport, and the rear deck is different, or my eyes going bad ? Anyone else see the difference ? HIGH LIFE

smidgen too
10-15-2008, 09:51 PM
Giving this MAGNUM a closer look it appears to be a Starfire. Intakes look a lot larger than the Sport, and the rear deck is different, or my eyes going bad ? Anyone else see the difference ? HIGH LIFE
Yes the deck is different on a Starfire. Here is one [High Times] that was on Lake St Clair around 1982. And the broacher Starfire also came to Lake St Clair and is still here today.

superhatz
10-15-2008, 11:05 PM
A nice original Starfire.....pretty sweet!

LKSD
10-16-2008, 06:14 PM
Cool pics.. :)

smidgen too
10-16-2008, 10:12 PM
Here is one more of the Starfire, and how she looks now here on Lake St Clair. This Mag was reported to be a DEA or some type of law enfocement boat. When I saw it years ago it had a siren on the deck. At some point Sparky at Viscous Marine here in Michagan owned her.

mphatc
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I'm about to empty my wallet .:rolleyes::yes::nilly: . I have a couple of questions on a Magnum 27 Sport

The boat I am looking at has nothing below deck . . . were these boats originally equipped with any small berths and a head?

Hull . . this boat is a 1972 . . core I presume is balsa? and the deck is?

Hull number is where on the boat?

It has 2 small block 350s, and Volvos, what can I expect for top speed . . w/o building sick Nascar engines . .

Original fuel tank, is it a tinned steel tank, and if it needed to be replaced, can it be done w/o deck removal?

Mario L.

Trueser
10-22-2008, 08:03 PM
I'm about to empty my wallet .:rolleyes::yes::nilly: . I have a couple of questions on a Magnum 27 Sport
The boat I am looking at has nothing below deck . . . were these boats originally equipped with any small berths and a head?
It has 2 small block 350s, and Volvos, what can I expect for top speed . . w/o building sick Nascar engines . .
Original fuel tank, is it a tinned steel tank, and if it needed to be replaced, can it be done w/o deck removal?
Mario L.
For sure on the wallet. The guy I talked with a few weekend ago had a pair of 6.2's installed and he said he can run around 65. TRS drives. The boat was a DEA boat and was all original. Except the powder coating/motors. The problem he told me was the weight of the boat was over 8000 LBS. The tank would be a big job. To properly restore one of these takes allot of cash.
Good luck!

Conquistador_del_mar
10-22-2008, 08:51 PM

Mario L.

Mario,
You might want to read the thread "choosing between rocks" that I started about buying a 27' Magnum sport. You might have some trouble finding the HIN on a 1972. Don't get scared at the cost. I am figuring mine will only run about $10K with me doing all the work, but I am going to a single power plant. It would definitely cost a lot if you had all the work done and went with two new engine packages! Do you do your own work? Bill

For sure on the wallet. The guy I talked with a few weekend ago had a pair of 6.2's installed and he said he can run around 65. TRS drives. The boat was a DEA boat and was all original. Except the powder coating/motors. The problem he told me was the weight of the boat was over 8000 LBS. The tank would be a big job. To properly restore one of these takes allot of cash.
Good luck!

There should be two tanks under the front cabin floor which could be removed by cutting up the floor. They are on each side of the keel stringer. The most I have heard that the Magnum 27 weighs is around 5800lbs, but maybe someone else can corroborate this. If one were to take the boat to a restoration shop, it would definitely be fairly expensive to restore. The magenta colored boat is interesting. The yellow one looks like it has the SternPowr drives? Bill

smidgen too
10-23-2008, 12:12 AM

Mario L.
Back in the day the stock 300 hp smallblocks Volvo Mags ran 55 to 59mph. With todays props maybe a little more ?? The hulls were all glass no core till around 1978,, with plywood stringers & transome. The decks had plywood or balsa core. If you had the extra fuel tanks it could weigh more than 5800. Most had a head [a bucket] thats what pi##sed my X wife off about a Mag no amenitys.

Conquistador_del_mar
04-22-2010, 10:25 AM
Mario,
You might want to read the thread "choosing between rocks" that I started about buying a 27' Magnum sport. You might have some trouble finding the HIN on a 1972. Don't get scared at the cost. I am figuring mine will only run about $10K with me doing all the work, but I am going to a single power plant. It would definitely cost a lot if you had all the work done and went with two new engine packages! Do you do your own work? Bill

I must have been day dreaming when I wrote this, but I also did not plan on installing a 632CID/800HP engine at the time - with the CMI headers, there went $10K. I look forward to getting back on my Magnum project after I finish a couple smaller projects in the works. Bill