PDA

View Full Version : monocoupe hull questions???

mk32j
10-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Does anybody have a good working knowledge of this type of construction ,trying to understand its benefits and weakness?????:confused:

The hull type is found on the 24 donzi's of the 73-77era dorals,pescadors,spirits,sprints.

mk32j

olredalert
10-15-2008, 06:25 PM
-------MK,,,I have as much knowledge as anybody on the board on the 24 hulls as I have restored an El P and am in the middle of the mother of all restos on a Spitfire. However, I would rather talk than type. If you want to call my # is 810-326-0490...........Bill S

mk32j
10-15-2008, 06:28 PM
Iwould to since I personally use the hen and peck method of typing call in about 10 mins.
Thanks,
mk32j

mphatc
10-15-2008, 07:19 PM
And just who will transpose the discussion to the forum . . . ??:rolleyes:

Feeling left out:biggrin.:

Mario

gero1
10-15-2008, 09:31 PM
i too would like to read about this. maybe someone that can type will tell us all about it

VetteLT193
10-16-2008, 06:56 AM
me too, I want to learn about this.

Morgan's Cloud
10-16-2008, 06:59 AM
IS this the same thing as 'monocoque construction' ? ? :biggrin.:

olredalert
10-16-2008, 08:13 AM
-------Not much to tell really. MK was interested in some of the basics of the method of construction of the Harry Schoell 24ft. series of DONZIs. I would think most of you would already be aware of the (basicly) stringerless, sandwich type construction of those four models, but thats it in a nutshell. The only stringers in the boat run from the stern to the first bulkhead in front of the engines, and are mainly there for something to tie the engines down to.The factory appears to have used some reconstituted fiberglas goop to glue the inner and outer hulls together. Over time the goop that squeezed out into some of the open areas between the hulls broke loose and just bounced around in chunk form. You wouldnt have believed the amount of this slag that we removed from the Spitfire when we cut out the last five feet of the inner hull in order to repair the transom. We have replaced all the wood in the Spit with closed cell foam and run secondary stringers forward from that point to the next bulkhead for extra strength.
-------Not many 24s were built and I really feel that had they kept manufacturing them in time the factory would have realized some of the manufacturing pitfalls of this method. The product would have gotten better and better. As it was the 24s were a great idea and design. Current owners would never even notice or realize what was done unless a couple of the smaller chunks happen to come out the drain-hole. Thats what got me started trying to think thru the manufacturing process.
-------Now my fingers are tired. Jan refuses to type any of this drivel so Im going to work.........Bill S

mk32j
10-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Sorry guys but had red and I talked on the forum it would have been as boring as watching Obama bin biden debate and probably just as many circles!
ol red gave you the cliff noted version, will try to remember your curiosity in the future!!!!!:bighug::bighug::bighug:

It was nothing personal me and :computer: are not always friends(typing)
mk32j

Brian Becker
10-24-2008, 01:07 AM
heres one