PDA

View Full Version : Hull number stats

Bill Sparfel
10-11-2008, 05:41 PM
Does anyone know if I can trace the color codes with a hull number? I lost the engine hatch off my 1986 18' Classic and I would like to make sure the one we re-do is as close to original as I can get it.
The hull number is “DMR18873E586”.
Thanks for the help.

harbormaster
10-12-2008, 08:36 AM
OK I GOTTA ASK....

:confused: How did you lose your hatch?

gcarter
10-12-2008, 09:46 AM
Here's your source;

https://www.minicraft.com/retail/donzimarine.htm

However, I wouldn't have much confidence in using the hull #.
OTOH, the colors are pretty standard, and pretty consistant.
EXCEPT for white...it seems there were several whites used, but usually what they called "Classic White".
As far as white goes, you coould send them one of your cockpit hatches for comparison.
BTW, they just had a humungous price increase, just as I'm going to need another 5 gallons of Donzi Red.

Bill Sparfel
10-12-2008, 11:12 AM
Hello one "T" Scot, I didn't. You can read the saga on the "Wanted" threads.
If you don't close the hatch properly and go flat out in 2 to 3' chop, you're going to lose the hatch. It is getting cold up here so the guy was wearing a snow mobile helmet (sound deadening) and by the time he realized there were a few miles of water gone by.
All marinas have been notified and a $500.00 reward offered in the local news papers.
Fingers crossed.

gcarter
10-12-2008, 11:24 AM
Bill, if you choose to use Minicraft's services, I may be able to help as my office is about 10 miles from them.
Let me know.

Bill Sparfel
10-12-2008, 12:40 PM
Thank you George. I have sent them an email with the hull number and will wait to hear back. I’ll keep you posted.
Bill

Bill Sparfel
10-14-2008, 11:46 AM
George,

This is what they had to say.
Regarding HIN DMR18873E586; The particular gelcoat(s) you are needing are unable to be verified via your manufacturer because of the age of the boat.
The records are no longer obtainable. For these scenarios we do offer a "Custom Color Matching" option.

Thanks
Bill

gcarter
10-14-2008, 02:31 PM
George,

This is what they had to say.
Regarding HIN DMR18873E586; The particular gelcoat(s) you are needing are unable to be verified via your manufacturer because of the age of the boat.
The records are no longer obtainable. For these scenarios we do offer a "Custom Color Matching" option.

Thanks
Bill
That's what I thought would happen. There's been two owners of Donzi since then.
What are the colors?

Bill Sparfel
10-15-2008, 12:47 PM
The color is white with a navy blue and baby blue (small outside) striping. The white has a bit of a grey hue. I have never seen another one. The original interior color is dove grey. Now I have to find a hatch and try to match the color. Any lines on a hatch?
Bill

gcarter
10-15-2008, 01:32 PM
If you're not successful finding one, Lenny may be able to make one for you.
The Navy and the light blue won't be a problem, I don't think.
Minicraft even makes an aerosol spray can for it.
Any of the colors can be matched. I think they (Minicraft) charges $75.00 to do it.

Donzigo
10-18-2008, 05:50 AM
Keep in mind that any gelcoat you get mioght need to be adjusted in color when it actually gets donw to the application. My fiberglass guy here in St. Pete, is one of the best craftsmen I have ever known and he calls it "aging" the gelcoat. Any gelcoat ages and fades over the years; so, when doing a repairt to match color, a final match must be done. Of cousre, if you are gelcoating the entire boat from scratch, this is not an issue.

I have used Minicraft many times and they can't be beat. They used to be in Lakeland, Florida for a number of years. I went in one day and the owner himself took an interest in my project and personally mixed the gelcoat. Nice people to do business with.