PDA

View Full Version : When redoing a transom,....

onesubdrvr
10-11-2008, 02:48 PM
When doing a restoration on an older boat, where it is going to be updated with newer power, is it common practice to measure / cut transom / install new drive, then align motor accordingly, or the other way around. I would imagine the first is the required way.

Has anyone played with raising the X dimension of a Volvo (new style) drive?

Thanks!
Wayne

BlownCrewCab
10-11-2008, 03:04 PM
Correct, you mount the drive, then mount and align the motor to the drive.

harbormaster
10-11-2008, 03:06 PM
When I cut my transom, I first determined where my x dimension was going to be. This is important because it has an impact on hatch clearance etc.

Then I measured 16.5 inches up from the bottom of the transom and marked it. Mercruiser makes a jig that helps to drill the holes straight.
I cut out transom and fitted the transom assembly. I then pulled it out and coated the bare wood with west epoxy. A

After it dried I bolted up the transom assembly.

After the transom assembly is bolted down you can lower a bare block down in the engine room with bellhousing and front motor mounts.

Put in the rear bellhousing mount bolts.

Have someone slide a drive alignment tool into the gimbal bearing and coupler. While you are leveling the engine and determining the motor mount location they can slide the alignment tool in and out to verify you stay aligned.

This whole exercise is easily done with 3 people.

Hope this helps.

BigGrizzly
10-12-2008, 09:57 AM
The way Scott describes it is the way it should be done. Unfortunately when engines are really installed by the maker this is done by jig which isn't always correct.

Morgan's Cloud
10-14-2008, 07:19 AM
Has anyone played with raising the X dimension of a Volvo (new style) drive?
Thanks!
Wayne
After a complete transom (and everything else) re-build I went about an inch and an eighth up on my X on the SX-A I installed ....