PDA

View Full Version : 40th Anniversary Edition 16,... info please

onesubdrvr
10-10-2008, 08:56 PM
Back in 2005 (if my deteriorating memory serves me correctly), at the Angel Aid poker run, Haskels had a 40th anniversary 16 there, in yellow,.... does anyone have pictures (preferably a lot of them) of this boat?

Thanks in advance
Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-11-2008, 07:10 AM
That works!

Thanks as usual Poodle :D

Wayne

ajochum
10-11-2008, 08:48 AM
God - What a beautiful boat! Is that your's MadPoodle? What kind of paint did you use on it, and is the bottom painted as well? I assume if you painted, it is never left in the water for long - a real show boat....

kramsay1234
10-11-2008, 10:17 AM
Happy Anniversary...That is a gorgeous boat.

VetteLT193
10-11-2008, 11:01 AM
That orange one is sweet!!! never seen it in orange before.

onesubdrvr
10-11-2008, 11:05 AM
Now,

What would you guys think of that in a bench seat variety?

With an outboard(?)

Wayne

VetteLT193
10-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Now,

What would you guys think of that in a bench seat variety?

With an outboard(?)

Wayne

I think the 16 is better with the bench over this setup because of space constraints.

Not a fan of outboards though

Lenny
10-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Wayne, I thought about that for a few years as well (Bench seat 16). BUT, the 16 has sooooooo much lift already I honestly don't think it would be "runable" sitting further back. Especially with the CoG changes of an outboard as well.

BigGrizzly
10-13-2008, 09:57 AM
A long long time ago we did a 16 with a Volvo and built a plywood Half deck and dash panel and clamped it to the 16 grab rail, so only the rear seat was usable. Three guys one weekend and some light blue paint and we were done. the boat wasn't that bad but did porpoise a lot except at high speed and was a bear to plane. Take into account it had no tabs and was not trim able. It really lookede like a Snoopy off shore racer when someone was in it. The project lasted for two weekends and was returned to the original formation. Don't er have a wodden deck verson on the board already, I am sure we do?

onesubdrvr
10-13-2008, 03:59 PM
Good point about the COG Lenny, but my thinking is this:

CG is typically 33% of the LOA forward of the stern, correct?

If so, that is about where the rear bench seat is on a 16, right?

Now, granted, my 280 lb. ass will be on the COG instead of forward of it, but changing to an outboard (200hpdi vs 350 with Alpha drive), weight drops from 946lbs to 475lbs, so I'd be shaving 375 lbs off aft of the CG, which I'm sure would actually be more like 175 when you consider placing it aft of the transom by about 10", and the added leverage it would have against the COG. Also, with the deck off, it give me the opportunity to move the fuel tank forward, and maybe even add a few gallons, and heck, place the battery forward, trim tab pump, etc. There is a lot of weight that could be moved forward.

Also, as in aviation (model aviation anyway), wouldn't you want the boat balanced at it's normal COG, empty, no fuel, no persons? Just wondering.

Wayne

I was going to wait a little to discuss all of this, but now is as good of time as any I guess :wink: :biggrin.:.

Wayne

onesubdrvr
10-15-2008, 07:49 AM
A long long time ago we did a 16 with a Volvo and built a plywood Half deck and dash panel and clamped it to the 16 grab rail, so only the rear seat was usable. Three guys one weekend and some light blue paint and we were done. the boat wasn't that bad but did porpoise a lot except at high speed and was a bear to plane. Take into account it had no tabs and was not trim able. It really lookede like a Snoopy off shore racer when someone was in it. The project lasted for two weekends and was returned to the original formation. Don't er have a wodden deck verson on the board already, I am sure we do?
Grizz,

You mention that with the "bench" set-up that the boat porpoised a lot (except at high speed), do you think now (years later) that with a better prop that this wouldn't be an issue? Also, you mentioned that was a Volvo boat, what about as an outboard with less weight at the stern?

And finally ;)

Honda is building a R&D plant in Sebastian / Grant area, right on the Indian River, do you know anything about this? (ok, hijacking my own thread I know ;) )

Thanks!
Wayne

Lenny
10-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Wayne, you should start a separate Bench Seat 16 post so that others will see it and offer up info. It is "hiding" in here.

:)

BigGrizzly
10-15-2008, 05:11 PM
First the R7D is the marine division and some testing is there they are enlarging the old Facility which use to be a house of sorts. As for props when I typed it I was thinking the same thing. I am sure it will still porpoise more then normal.