PDA

View Full Version : Speedmaster #3 drives

cutwater
10-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Tell me what you know. I have seen them as far back as the early 70's, and also someone claiming a set of 1999 transom assemblies. What years were these produced?

Availability of parts?
HP rating?
Performance?

VetteLT193
10-10-2008, 04:05 PM
I think the III-A's were available up until they came out with the NXT. The V's were available too. I want to say through 2005 because 2006 was an update to the XR drive and I think they pushed that over the III-A.

As for the regular III I'm not sure, but they were around for a long time. I have to guess that the first generation XR replaced the standard III.

Are you looking for the Minx? I don't know if we've got room back there for the external transmission. and they aren't light by any means. cool as heck though:)

cutwater
10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I think the III-A's were available up until they came out with the NXT. The V's were available too. I want to say through 2005 because 2006 was an update to the XR drive and I think they pushed that over the III-A.

As for the regular III I'm not sure, but they were around for a long time. I have to guess that the first generation XR replaced the standard III.

Are you looking for the Minx? I don't know if we've got room back there for the external transmission. and they aren't light by any means. cool as heck though:)

Nope, not for the Minx :wink:

BlownCrewCab
10-10-2008, 04:57 PM
If I remember correctly ( I grew up in Miami in the 70-80s, some memory is missing) the # 3 drive was a high performace drive that fit on a TRS transom assy, then around 82-83-84 they came out with the #4 drive that had it's own transom assy.

BigGrizzly
10-10-2008, 05:49 PM
B crew cab you are correct. They also had three different lowers in height one with two vertical shafts.