PDA

View Full Version : Scorpion Winterize?

Trueser
10-09-2008, 09:35 PM
The Merc book recommends that I spray 8 ounces Quicksilver storage seal. Thru Flame arrestor, Does this sound ok?

1. Should I shut down the fuel and run it dry? Stable added.
2. What fogging oil should I use?

This is after we may run this weekend.

Change drive and Motor oil will be done!

da donz
10-09-2008, 11:30 PM
Hope this helps, this is what I did with my 28, yesterday.

http://www.cpperformance.com/tech_fogging_efi_engines.aspx

I guess it's that time again!

Pismo
10-10-2008, 06:50 PM
Mix up the same ratio in the water separator then you don't waste 4.5 gallons. Great for a marina who does a 100 boats but silly for one boat.

Team Jefe
10-10-2008, 08:41 PM
Ship it to Houston, I winterize it SE Texas Style.....by putting about 50 hours on it between now and April:biggrin.:

BigGrizzly
10-12-2008, 09:53 AM
Also for a small fee, I will go down to Miami and change the fuel every weekend so the Ethanol does not separate and run the engine to keep the battery charged. Of course during February 11 and the 15th due to weather conditions and humidity I will have to put in new fuel about 3 times, This service is included in the first fee.

mrfixxall
10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
put a bottle of seafoam in the tank! will keep the injectors clean..

MOP
10-14-2008, 08:04 AM
Mike for a tad more $ use the Merc recommended product, they are pretty decent when it comes to their formulas on oils etc.

Trueser
10-14-2008, 10:04 PM
Mop,
I was thinking on adding 2 cycle MERC oil to the fuel separator and running it.

Is that what you meant?

da donz
10-14-2008, 10:23 PM
I used the remote fuel tank method, while running it on antifreeze, and getting the engines up to temp, using the tank just gives you more time on the gas/oil mixture. then when done, pull the old filter and screw on a new filter and your done.
rather than pulling the filter twice, once to just pour out half the gas and fill with oil and reinstall and then, once again to replace it with a new filter.
but, either way works!
I used the merc. 2 stroke oil as well. with a little merc fuel system treatment.
the video i posted earlier in the post explains the ratios, i cut it in half, instead of 5 gal. i used 2.5. As i got a nice 3.5 quiksilver fuel tank that worked out really well. I just shut of the fuel, disconnect the fuel hose from the engine, hook up the tank, prime the ball, and run it till it starts to choke.
Good luck

MOP
10-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Mop,
I was thinking on adding 2 cycle MERC oil to the fuel separator and running it.
Is that what you meant?

Mike the "Storage & Seal" is just that a winterizing oil, the oils formulated for storage have better cling to avoid any corrosion issues with valve seats, stem and cylinder walls. When I was on the wrenches we used OMC fogging oil in everything outboards included. For a ton of years before that we used a mix on 2/3 30wt & 1/3 Marvel that worked fine also. I use a spray from West Marine it puts out a decent cloud come spring! Use a real storage oil cheap insurance.

Phil

Ranman
10-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Trueser,

The video is basicly my process. My fogging mix for the twin 350's in my Formula is as folows:

In a 2 gallon gas can mix
64 oz (50%) of 93 octane gasoline
49 oz (35%) Merc 2 stroke oil
6.5 oz (5%) Sta-Bil
6.5 oz (5%) fuel injector cleaner
6.5 oz (5%) Iso water remover

This totals 1 Gallon of mix. It's all you need to do 2 motors.

Mix well, connect and run each engine for 5 or 10mins (cool fuel or VST as shown in the video). I like to bring the RPM's up to 2500-3000 on the hose and then cut the engine with the key.

Trueser
10-15-2008, 01:41 PM
Trueser,
The video is basicly my process. My fogging mix for the twin 350's in my Formula is as folows:
In a 2 gallon gas can mix
64 oz (50%) of 93 octane gasoline
49 oz (35%) Merc 2 stroke oil
6.5 oz (5%) Sta-Bil
6.5 oz (5%) fuel injector cleaner
6.5 oz (5%) Iso water remover
This totals 1 Gallon of mix. It's all you need to do 2 motors.
Mix well, connect and run each engine for 5 or 10mins (cool fuel or VST as shown in the video). I like to bring the RPM's up to 2500-3000 on the hose and then cut the engine with the key.

Thanks Randy.
I will give it a try. I already have the can just need to take the list and go shopping.

MOP
10-15-2008, 10:02 PM
The mix is an excellent idea for the fuel system, I do not feel that you get as good residual oil film on the internals. You need a much higher ration of oil to fuel for good protection. I feel you get much better protection by fogging the engine through its intake until it dies.

MOP
10-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Well had to see what my local Merc guys said about the movie, all said the mix was a good thing for the fuel system. But each and everyone of them said where is the fogging oil! Way to much delution from the gas for good protection! Even on outboards they use fogging oil, outboard oil does not have the cling that fogging oils have. They all said no way would they put their customers engines to bed without the real stuff!