PDA

View Full Version : general outboard questions.

onesubdrvr
10-08-2008, 09:44 PM
Really looking at the best way to "check" a transom for being soft. I'm looking at a boat (non-donzi), outboard, and just want to make sure that I can figure out whether or not the transom is solid. I'm comfortable with checking everything else out, just the transom. It seems to me that it could feel solid as hell but be rotten,...

Suggestions / input?

Thanks
Wayne

BUIZILLA
10-08-2008, 09:59 PM
i'm about ready to buy a moisture meter myself..

onesubdrvr
10-08-2008, 10:06 PM
Buiz,

Does that read through the glass, or do you need to find somewhere to stick the probe?

Also, just because it does matter as far as construction too, the boat(s) I'm looking at are 18-22' Center Consoles.

Thanks again
Wayne

cutwater
10-08-2008, 10:49 PM
Wayne, I believe there are both types (invasive and non-invasive). Of course, I think the ones that don't require probing are more expensive :nilly:

MOP
10-09-2008, 06:31 AM
Moisture meters a very reliable reading the laminate, they can however get a little sketchy reading core moisture on real thick hulls. Many times the surveyor when in doubt will do their best to take readings from inside the hull where accessible. If all else fails they will resort to core samples, core sampling usually really pizzes of the owners believe me I know. For small boats there is very little that will escape the meter, I could go on and on having been in the biz a long time.
Another point when a panel containing wood first gets wet and there is no softness present the tap test is not reliable as there is still good solid attachment, it is when the wood starts to fail/get soft that the tap test works.
The meter is the best way!!

mikev
10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
An old marine mechanic showed me a trick. tap on the transom all around with your knuckle it should sound solid any hollow sound is separation and its distinctively different. Go tap on a boat with a good transom and listen then you will know what it should sound like. This trick works well i have tried it on several boats. also on an I/O he said to grab the drive when its all the way up and yank as hard as you can there should be no flex at all. my first boat i bought along time ago had a rotted transom that's how I found out and this little trick has helped me avoid several bad buys that looked like good buys over the years.

onesubdrvr
10-09-2008, 02:26 PM
Thanks guys,

For what I'm looking at spending (just something to take on the river and take the kids fishing), I'm not going to spend the money for a moisture meter,..... Maybe in the future, but not right now. So I'll have to rely on the knock and tug method :wink: :biggrin:

And when I get to my Donzi, it's not going to matter, because everything is coming out, getting checked / replaced, then put back in, so I'll see what I need to see of the Transom and stringers there.

As a side note (but I'm going to leave it in here because I don't want to start a new thread :wink:),

Is there any particular makes or specific models of outboards I should stay away from - I've had good luck in the past with Mercury and Johnson, but don't know much about the rest (and I'm going back at least 18 years lol)

Wayne