PDA

View Full Version : the new 007 hull 7 ?????

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 12:43 PM
thought the limited editions 009 were all the same white and black????
do you think they could atleast get the flag decal right??????? that is unbelieveable
perhaps someone should tell donzi they need a port and starboard flag decal???
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009-DONZI-22-CLASSIC-009-SPECIAL-EDITION-93862185

cutwater
10-08-2008, 12:47 PM
do you think they could atleast get the flag decal right??????? that is unbelieveable

I think that's how it's supposed to be...

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 12:50 PM
the field of stars ( the Union) needs to be in the upper left hand corner always wether the flag is displayed horizontally or vertically as you view it

from the us flag code

http://www.suvcw.org/flag.htm

(i) When displayed either horizontally or vertically against a wall, the union should be uppermost and to the flag's own right, that is, to the observer's left. When displayed in a window, the flag should be displayed in the same way, with the union or blue field to the left of the observer in the street.

cutwater
10-08-2008, 12:54 PM
the field of stars needs to be in the upper left hand corner always wether the flag is displayed horizontally or vertically

Looking at it again I think you're right... so, I wonder if they use the same decal on the port side - because if so, both would be wrong.

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 01:02 PM
it's wrong on the Donzi website too on both the 22 and the 35,

VetteLT193
10-08-2008, 01:10 PM
thought the limited editions 009 were all the same white and black????
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2009-DONZI-22-CLASSIC-009-SPECIAL-EDITION-93862185

The 009 special edition is the ugliest classic I have ever seen.

It is not pleasing to the eye in any way. The flag looks wrong on the starboard side. The deck stripe reminds me of the mid 90's Japanese 'race' cars that had one stripe in a random location off of center. The scoop on the hatch looks clunky.

Considering how awesome the Shelby looks it is hard to believe this is what they came out with.

Also, I think the original colors they came out with for the 009 was a really dark blue... at least it looks like that in the pictures on donzi's web site.

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 01:11 PM
can you put a decal on inversed??? what i mean will it stick on both sides ??? to get it right you would have to remove it flip it over side to side so the union would be in your left hand if you held it from the top

damn this is giving me a headache like the lh rh hinge thingy fell for that once ain't happening again

VetteLT193
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
can you put a decal inversed??? what i mean will it stick on both sides ??? to get it right you would have to remove it flip it over side to side so the union would be in your left hand if you held it from the top
damn this is giving me a headache like the lh rh hinge thingy fell for that once ain't happening again

no, it is correct on the other side though. I have no IDEA why they keep putting the odd looking side in the marketing pictures. If you look back to the original race Donzi's that had the flag like that it is hard to find a picture of the starboard side because they don't photograph well on that side. They are almost all of the port side.

shotgunlab
10-08-2008, 01:24 PM
agree with Vette - FUGLY!!!

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 01:26 PM
look at the pics on the donzi website there is one of the guy and the girl under way in the 22 on her side the port side the decal flag is displayed correctly

VetteLT193
10-08-2008, 01:35 PM
look at the pics on the donzi website there is one of the guy and the girl under way in the 22 on her side the port side the decal flag is displayed correctly

That's what I was trying to say, but you put it better than I did :cool:

What baffles me is why almost every picture shows starboard when port isn't difficult to look at.

blackhawk
10-08-2008, 02:00 PM
That is how all bow flag decals are. It is to give the appearance that the flag is "flying". If a flag was on a pole on the boat where would the stars be. Upper left on the port side and upper right on the starboard.

It would look silly if it were the other way IMO.

Although that decal looks like crap no matter what the direction is! LOL

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
That is how all bow flag decals are. It is to give the appearance that the flag is "flying". If a flag was on a pole on the boat where would the stars be. Upper left on the port side and upper right on the starboard.
It would look silly if it were the other way IMO.
Although that decal looks like crap no matter what the direction is! LOL

but it is not displayed from a pole it is being displayed as if it were on a wall, and if they want to give the appearance of flying why not but little waves in the flag, better yet put a nice flag pole on the back and use a real flag

smokediver
10-08-2008, 04:19 PM
that flag is being displayed correctly ....

blackhawk
10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
but it is not displayed from a pole it is being displayed as if it were on a wall, and if they want to give the appearance of flying why not but little waves in the flag, better yet put a nice flag pole on the back and use a real flag

I agree it could be a MUCH better graphic, but that is obviously what they intended.

Carl C
10-08-2008, 05:43 PM
I agree that the decal is correct. The flag should appear to be flying back on each side. Isn't that how it's been done for years?

Donzi LG
10-08-2008, 06:08 PM
I also think it's correct.

The National Flag Foundation suggests "...we recommend that the flag patch on the left sleeve of a uniform should have the union to the viewer's left while a patch on the right sleeve should be displayed with the union to the viewer's right so that, in both cases, the flag is facing forward and is streaming to the back as the person moves forward. The orientation of the flag on vehicle decals should be treated the same as arm patches"

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 07:39 PM
sorry guys you are all off base here it is not on a uniform it is on a boat being sold for commercial purposes, forget the reasons why a flag would be displayed on a right sleeve of a uniform as opposed to the left and we are not talking the flag foundation we have a flag code the boat has flags on both sides not one

Carl you are correct the decal you show is for a flag being displayed from a staff or pole then the code is the union shall be attached closest to the highest part of the staff when not on a staff or a uniform the decal is incorrect displaying the union to the right as the viewer see it

blackhawk
10-08-2008, 07:48 PM
I agree that the decal is correct. The flag should appear to be flying back on each side. Isn't that how it's been done for years?

Exactly, just like how all bow flag decals are. Again, they are trying to show the flag is "flying".

Mr X
10-08-2008, 08:01 PM
Seems like these guys got it wrong too.....

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 08:05 PM
they sure did if you look at it when it has landed but when the shuttle is in that position it is correct the union is in the upper left hand corner

need for speed
10-08-2008, 08:14 PM
look the right fuel fill is back!!!:kingme:

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 08:23 PM
Sorry
i know i might be taking this to an extreme, but you guys have to understand I grew up under the guidance of a Lt. Colonel and i still remember the day when dad let me help take down the flag yes he raised and lowered it ever dawn and dusk and as I helped fold it my end fell and hit the ground that has never happened again plus being the Flag day Chairman at the local Elks for several years the Union always goes to the left on a one dimensional flag

Mr X
10-08-2008, 08:33 PM
Maybe the "Elks" could contact NASA and set them straight.

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 08:39 PM
we have a Flag Day Ceremony every year in June around Flag Day the Florida Elks do it too maybe the space boys need to invited ;) the overiding key is as long as it is displayed with respect for the flag and what it represents

I'll stand down now

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 08:47 PM
The Elks won't take them??????? I know you are in a bigger town then us and I don't want to speak for the local Elks they might get too many flags as we only burn them on Flag Day what about a local American Legion??? if not I will glady take them and dispose of them properly when we do our ceremony

ATLDONZI
10-08-2008, 09:03 PM
here is a yellow one on ebay

Ed Donnelly
10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
Hey; We did something right.. Try to misapply this.

:canada: ................Ed

Hey guys just trying to lighten this up a bit...

Carl C
10-08-2008, 09:51 PM
Hey; We did something right.. Try to misapply this.

:canada: ................Ed

Hey guys just trying to lighten this up a bit... That's funny, but true. Has anyone called to see what these boats cost?

mattyboy
10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
sorry ed and carl but no need to lighten up just a good discussion on the correct procedure for displaying the US Flag
OK guys
cover king of thunder boat row the cary flag is correct
now in contrary to today pics most back then were from port ? wonder why oh could it be that most were driven on the port side and they wanted pics of the driver ????
ok back to facts
no pics of 007 from the starboard side except one with Don and Jim and no flag is visible
but
billy wishnick in the formula 233 amalie oiler pg 22 correct
brownie in broad jumper on pg 39 correct
chapter 3 magnum on fire correct
Don in banana boat satan chariot page 67 correct
Billy Sirois in old yellar 27 magnum donzi pg 76 correct
mirage magnum pg 78 incorrect
Billy Wishnick in bosa nova 3 incorrect
cigarette on pg 102 in correct but acceptable as it shows the flag flying with waves in it
best example page 134 and 135 warpath flags properly displayed on crossed staffs and also a real flag on the stern ;)
ok so i guess both is acceptable but like the "new Math" I don't like it

Planetwarmer
10-08-2008, 11:23 PM
On our military uniforms, they say the blue always faces forward because we are charging rather than retreating. Take a look at the flag on the right shoulder of an American soldier, it is the same as the 009 has on the starboard side.

FYI

Carl C
10-09-2008, 07:51 AM
Matty, http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/flag.asp?cpage=etiquette1#4 Google "display US flag on vehicle" and you will see it over and over..........Sooooo........What's the street price on these new SEs?

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 08:14 AM
Carl,
you guys keep qouting non profit organizations the flag foundation , flag and banner.com I am quoting the flag code ! all of which these organizations have the flag's best interest at heart though
if you read the link I posted a flag should never be drapped or placed over a vehicle it should be attached to a staff then attached to the vehicle and then be allowed flow freely
a decal depicting a flying american flag is just that ,most if you look at them with the waves you don't see all the stars, but a decal of an American Flag is an American Flag and should be treated as such
Planet,
now I hear echos of my father :), on your uniform what sleeve is the flag attached? he always said it has to be close to your heart I guess in todays world this occurs more often as we have multi national troops and from what I gather like UN troops even though American have the UN flag on their left sleeve and then the US Flag on their right but should that be true of any other of our uniformed services??? I guess my point is under what circumstances would our Military display a flag on their right sleeve

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 08:21 AM
Poodle,

I went thru all my pics I don't have any of 007's Starboard side with the Flag in view so anyone got one

Carl C
10-09-2008, 08:22 AM
I will now wave a white flag!:yes::confused::nilly:

chappy
10-09-2008, 08:24 AM
M, I have like 15 shredded flags that need to be burned. Elks won't do it for whatever reason. Is there a proper procedure, or should I just ship em to ya??

I always take mine to the local VFW to be disposed of. You'll really impress them if the flags are folded properly.

Jraysray
10-09-2008, 08:36 AM
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/4/usc_sup_01_4_10_1.html

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 08:37 AM
Thanks Jraysray,

that is another link to the code

Marlin275
10-09-2008, 08:57 AM
I agree with Matty

It just looks WRONG !

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39442&d=1223575260

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Marlin

that is an interesting shot, it looks like the negative for that photo was exposed backwards as the donzi and the 007 and the 44 are backwards and you can see don driving closest to you so it should be the port side or if it is the starboard side the had everything backwards

now my head really hurts

so Marlin got anymore shot of 007

Marlin275
10-09-2008, 09:41 AM
Matty
I flipped that in photoshop to show bad idea.

Here is Don's Magnum from 1968.

He got it right !

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39433&d=1223563261

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39434&d=1223563261

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 09:44 AM
Ok i got ya ;)

yup those are some of the pics I qouted from king of thunderboat row as being right no correct oh you know what i mean :)

blackhawk
10-09-2008, 09:59 AM
Hey, if NASA can't get it "right" I think we should lighten up on Donzi a bit! :D

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 10:06 AM
just as an aside here that shot of broad jumper has brownie in it and if you look at the pic below it in the book you'll see the decal was half off must have been some rough water to peel back the decal one guy got hurt and he jumped in the water to await help so the rest of them could keep going
think about that "hey guys I am hurt but don't worry about me I'll just jump in the shark invested ocean not to slow you guys down. don't worry you guys go on with out me
they truely were a breed apart :yes:

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 10:09 AM
Hey, if NASA can't get it "right" I think we should lighten up on Donzi a bit! :D

me lightened up??? seems there were harsher critiques of the 009 than me saying i thought the flag looked wrong in this thread

blackhawk
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
me lightened up??? seems there were harsher critiques of the 009 than me saying i thought the flag looked wrong in this thread

And didn't say you, I said we. I still think it is suppose to look like it is flying.

You have to admit it's pretty funny when NASA gets it "wrong"! :D

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 10:17 AM
sorry missed the "We" I am used to dealing with the wife as "we" really means "me" :kingme:

Donzi Josh
10-09-2008, 10:44 AM
Great thread, this is fun stuff.

The reason we primarily shoot our boats' starboard sides is simple: We do mostly aerial photography and on the R-44 helicopter we usually use, the pilot flies from the starboard side. Since we're simultaneously shooting still photography and video, we take the forward and aft doors off the port side and shoot from the port seats.

The offset deck stripe came from the 008, which had a stripe running up the deck and right through the helm, just like we've done on the 009. Of course, the details aren't truly historically accurate or we'd have put a huge compass out on the foredeck, or screwed on a big squeeze-ball horn. The 22 009's fuel cap location was a nostalgic twist we thought a few enthusiasts might notice. Available hullside colors are white, red, black, and yellow. Call for pricing!

We gave due diligence to researching the flag issue so there's no doubt that we're displaying it properly - check out Air Force One! The flags on our 009s are vinyl (all the other graphics on the boat are paint or gel) so presumably if someone chose to remove the flags they could do so. However, I'll leave it to you guys to determine whether or not that would be patriotic or even advisable. :wink:

As always, we love the feedback!

J.

cutwater
10-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Case closed!

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 11:49 AM
far be it for the President to be wrong right Josh ;)

would love to see if you have it a rendering of the 009 in red

Marlin275
10-09-2008, 12:19 PM
This is why it looks wrong.

Donzi 009 is a color copy of "The Cigarette" a Cary 32.
The most famous race boat of all time.
If that is the reference then go all the way and be correct
not PC !

http://www.donzi.net/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=39440&d=1223572685

Marlin275
10-09-2008, 12:43 PM
Sure you have Air Force One
But here is how NASA won! :wink:

Carl C
10-09-2008, 12:45 PM
I wouldn't see a problem with respectfully burning a worn out flag yourself. That's assuming you have a firepit or fireplace. The flag logos on my 22C solve the directional problem nicely too.

Bob
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM
You never dispose of an American flag- you retire it. The Boy Scouts retire flags every flag day by burning them in a very respectful and moving public ceremony.

Find your local scout troop and they will take over and see that it is done right.

mattyboy
10-09-2008, 03:39 PM
Bob, dispose was the wrong term we burn them that is what I meant the Elks Flag Day is also a Flag burning ceremony we only do it once a year as close to flag day as possible

VetteLT193
10-09-2008, 06:44 PM
The flag flying in the direction of the new Donzi would be fine if it had an 'anchor' to make it look balanced.

It looks fine on other boats, air force 1, or otherwise, because of balance of the total scheme. Having the Donzi 009 aft of the flag is what screws up the balance. if it was the other way around it would probably look good.

VetteLT193
10-09-2008, 06:52 PM
quick hack job of the pic

Planetwarmer
10-10-2008, 10:25 AM
Carl,
you guys keep qouting non profit organizations the flag foundation , flag and banner.com I am quoting the flag code ! all of which these organizations have the flag's best interest at heart though
if you read the link I posted a flag should never be drapped or placed over a vehicle it should be attached to a staff then attached to the vehicle and then be allowed flow freely
a decal depicting a flying american flag is just that ,most if you look at them with the waves you don't see all the stars, but a decal of an American Flag is an American Flag and should be treated as such
Planet,
now I hear echos of my father :), on your uniform what sleeve is the flag attached? he always said it has to be close to your heart I guess in todays world this occurs more often as we have multi national troops and from what I gather like UN troops even though American have the UN flag on their left sleeve and then the US Flag on their right but should that be true of any other of our uniformed services??? I guess my point is under what circumstances would our Military display a flag on their right sleeve

Ive worn the flag on both sleeves. It depends on what you are doing and where you are I guess. As for the flag closest to your heart, I think it doesn't really matter due to the fact that your heart is fairly centralized in the chest. Maybe we aught to wear them on the front of our shirts instead.

Tom A.
10-10-2008, 10:41 AM
Proper etiquette requires the right side of the vehicle to display the flag with the field of stars forward. This is based on the fact a majority of the time the vehicle will be seen traveling forward and the flag will then be presented in its appropriate advancing direction. If the flag is shown with the stars to the left on the right side of the vehicle, it would be presenting the flag in a retreating motion which is unacceptable.

http://www.flagandbanner.com/fab/flag.asp?cpage=etiquette1

BigGrizzly
10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Actually the flag is correct direction. If you look at the flag on the sleeve of an Army uniform it is that way. It is because when going into Battle you are carrying the flag and it is blowing in that direction so it is displayed in that direction. Look it up it was told to me by both a Army officer and a Navel officer on this board. The only time the flag is blown in the other direction is on sailing ships.

kraftee
12-07-2008, 06:31 PM
Well here is the classic noob move: Opening a two-month old thread! However, I couldn't resist. Someone posted this video elsewhere on this forum recently http://www.youtube.com/v/bG9SxAKjsP4.

If you watch the first few minutes VERY carefully, you will see a starboard side view of 007. For just an instant, as they pan over the pic, it clearly shows the flag decal with the field of stars to aft (as per the flag code, I guess). Still looks a bit odd to me though.

There is also a starboard view of 008 showing the same thing...

Pismo
12-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Cool video, looks like they got the flag wrong.

mattyboy
12-08-2008, 07:33 AM
if I can add something here I have had a few chats with some guys down at the VFW and at west point young and old the flag code is actually a code and it tells you how to display a flag a cloth flag free waving the code says a flag should never be draped on a vehicle it should be attached to staff and allowed to flow freely think of the presidential limo, but more recently the flag needs to adorn many different types of vehicles flying a flag from a helio or a plane is highly impractical so decals have become accepted and thus it is acceptable to have the field of stars shown in a static position to represent the flag flowing freely with the stars in the upper rand hand corner

so I will amend my statement to say they have it displayed in an acceptable way