PDA

View Full Version : Cuda... tile question.

ChromeGorilla
10-08-2008, 12:27 PM
So what kind of quotes should I be seeing for labor to install a tile backsplash? Will be 4x4 tumbled marble or other natural stone installed on the diagnal. About 25 sq/ft. There are 4 electrical outlets present as well.

CG

McGary911
10-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Already messing with the new house, huh? :biggrin.:

25 square......that's a heck of a backsplash.

VetteLT193
10-08-2008, 01:46 PM
here is an oddball picture of mine, it is tumbled marble as well. My brother and I did the work (mostly my brother because he's been doing tile for a good 20 years now), it is probably the same sq. feet as yours overall (there is a whole other side to the kitchen that you can't see in the pic.) After doing the backsplash I added an island and a table that match the backsplash... I did one of them myself, came out great.

If that is the only tile work you are having done, and it isn't a favor from a tile guy, you can look to spend a good $500 for the job, if not more.

By the time you count in setup and cleanup for the wetsaw and other tools, plus the grouting extra trip, any tile guy that will be worth it is going to be at least $500 for labor alone.

The good news it isn't really hard, it is just tedious, if you want to do it yourself.

VetteLT193
10-08-2008, 01:51 PM
and on another note, it is really easy to add the under-cabinet mini-halogen lights before doing the back splash. we use them more than anything else, it was a much better addition than the back splash itself. I can explain how I did mine if you are interested.

McGary911
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
and on another note, it is really easy to add the under-cabinet mini-halogen lights before doing the back splash. we use them more than anything else, it was a much better addition than the back splash itself. I can explain how I did mine if you are interested.

Now i get it. I was just thinking behind the stove.....I just installed some under cabinet xenon lights. They really add a nice touch. Gotta be on a dimmer.

Cuda
10-08-2008, 06:33 PM
That's exactly the kind of job I avoid like the plague. We rarely have to do tumbled stone backsplashes. Catch 22's dad is about to have one done, he got what I thought was a more than fair price.

Sorry I didn't call today, I had to go directly to Dal Tile after the pre-construction meeting. I didn't get home until 4:30. I'll be up there quite a bit after the 15th.

ChromeGorilla
10-10-2008, 07:51 AM
no problem joe. Just give me a buzz if ya wanna meet up.