PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Magnum or Donzi?

Robert Geoghegan
01-04-2004, 12:56 PM
On another site, Screamandfly, someone found what they thought was a classic Magnum. He just posted photos,I think it is a 28 Donzi. To me, it looks alot like Big Broad Jumper, Old Yeller or 007. Is it a Donzi??
http://forums.screamandfly.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&thread=48967
Thanks for your imput!
Bob G.
I can't get the thread to work, however if you got to hulls over 20' and then to "28 Magnum", you'll find it.

olredalert
01-04-2004, 02:26 PM
Bob,

-----In the rear shots there appears to be a deck. Is there? This looks very much like a DONZI 28 from the stern,but the deck does not appear to be high enough to be the production 28 we are all so used to. The chances that the boat was a race boat in the day are slim,but possible. Maybe,just maybe,the boat is being called a Magnum because it is right after Teleflex bought DONZI and during that period when Don was racing and loosely calling his boats DONZI/Magnums? Maybe Baxter or Buizilla can back me up or shoot holes in this theory.......Bill S

BERTRAM BOY
01-04-2004, 05:06 PM
It kinda looks like Old Yellar,as it did have twin outdrives,(427 Fords), but supposedly it sank.
I agree with Bill, the front deck doesn't look tall enought. Neat boat thought....

BERTRAM BOY :D :D :D

Scott Pearson
01-04-2004, 06:23 PM
Not a 28 Sportsman thats for sure. Wonder what the hell it is???

(NJ)Scott

BUIZILLA
01-04-2004, 08:02 PM
Almost looks like a 28 Performer or Cary derivitive. There was a 27 Formula around that time that had HIGH freeboard, and a suspended flat transom too. Thats a tell tail Formula transom trademark. Look at the chine transitions AT THE TRANSOM. The kicker to me, is what is showing of the rear most deck area. Are we SURE it's 28' ?? :confused: the drive cutouts seem positioned too close together to be V8's??

J

Robert Geoghegan
01-04-2004, 10:59 PM
Thanks for your replies. If one looks at Thunderboatrow, on page 74, there is a photo of "Old Yeller". From the stern, this boat looks very similar to Yeller-note the curved deck just above the transom. The deck on Old Yeller is also not the production 28 Donzi deck. Yeller also carries the Donzi-Magnum logo. I really think this boat is the same as Old yeller.I'm going to call on Monday and see what I can find out. Thanks again for your input! I love these "mystery boats". wink

ALLAN BROWN
01-05-2004, 08:17 AM
I would guess that it is John Bakos' raceboat. I was a sistership to Yeller.

Donzigo
01-05-2004, 10:07 AM
Wouldn't there be some identification of some kind to know for sure.

Great find!