PDA

View Full Version : barrel back project

maddad
10-04-2008, 11:27 PM
This boat has not been treated very well, but when I close my eyes I see a baby blue and white beauty with all my sbc-Volvo gear in it. Which would free up the 72' hull for a more modern set up. I cleaned it up enough to look under the deck and found the numbers pictured. Looks like it was a Ford boat. I came across this boat thanks to an eagle eyed friend who likes my Donzi and is working on a bridge project near where the boat was dumped. A guy at the marina next to this boat graveyard said it had been there 5-6 years. Someone used a sawzall and brute force to get the helm and seat pedestals. The hatches are gone and so is all the balsa core. The stringers and transom are shot. I think I can do this though, given enough time. The first step is going to be getting some kind of title for it.
I look at the numbers and see 18-81. I wanted to go to the registry and see when that was from but can't find it.
Has anyone here ever seen this boat before? It was abandoned on the north shore of Long Island, was originally light blue and white, then the hull was painted red sides with white bottom and gold/yellow boot stripe.

Donzi Vol
10-04-2008, 11:41 PM
Good luck with your project. Glad you got ahold of it. Long live the Barrel Backs!

Is this along the lines of what you want to see when she's done?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54259

Donzi Vol
10-04-2008, 11:53 PM
...The hatches are gone and so is all the balsa core...

You said hatchES. Is this a triple hatch? In case you can't tell by just looking at groves around the hatch, is the hole (for lack of a better term) much larger than that of a normal 18?

maddad
10-05-2008, 12:46 AM
is this along the lines of what you want to see when she's done?
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54259
Exactly!
Yes it is a triple hatch.

Lenny
10-05-2008, 02:35 AM
VERY cool... :yes:

MOP
10-05-2008, 05:20 PM
Excellent find!! I will have to try sneak over your way.

Phil

penbroke
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM
Nice find! Gonna be a project for sure. There are some photos floating around of a boat with a two piece hatch setup. I'd be interested to see some shots of "the hole" to see what hardware was where. Looks like it may still have the original 200 drive on it.
I have a dump of the registry from a few years ago and did not find anything for 18-81. I'll do some more looking when time permits...
The original gas tanks had a foil sticker with the build date on them. You might get lucky and find it sifting through the contents of the bilge.
Vermont does not require titles for a boat that old. Bill of sale is all you need...
Frank
Wish I had a HIN.

DonziFreak
10-06-2008, 07:52 AM
Cool boat! Great catch!

Glad to see another BB floating around! :biggrin.:

Keep us posted on the project!

DF

BigGrizzly
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Go Madddad, I know you can do it. Just a lotta love qand the talent you already possess.

maddad
10-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Thanks for all the positive comments guys. Here are some pics of the hardware areas of the engine bay. It looks just like it was setup just like Ralph Savarese's, a triple hatch.
Phil, if you do head this way, give me a heads up and I'll make sure the 72' is in the water.

MOP
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I will be away next weekend but weather permitting (damn I hate saying that) I will try after that.

Phil

Conquistador_del_mar
10-06-2008, 12:12 PM
This boat has not been treated very well, but when I close my eyes I see a baby blue and white beauty with all my sbc-Volvo gear in it. Which would free up the 72' hull for a more modern set up. I cleaned it up enough to look under the deck and found the numbers pictured. Looks like it was a Ford boat. I came across this boat thanks to an eagle eyed friend who likes my Donzi and is working on a bridge project near where the boat was dumped. A guy at the marina next to this boat graveyard said it had been there 5-6 years. Someone used a sawzall and brute force to get the helm and seat pedestals. The hatches are gone and so is all the balsa core. The stringers and transom are shot. I think I can do this though, given enough time. The first step is going to be getting some kind of title for it.
I look at the numbers and see 18-81. I wanted to go to the registry and see when that was from but can't find it.
Has anyone here ever seen this boat before? It was abandoned on the north shore of Long Island, was originally light blue and white, then the hull was painted red sides with white bottom and gold/yellow boot stripe.

What a great rescue! You will certainly have your hands full, but that will be a wonderful nostalgic boat when completed. Bill