PDA

View Full Version : Alpha one 350 mag gear ratio

kcatucci
10-04-2008, 01:03 PM
Does anyone know the gear ratio. 86 minx?
Yup Finally lunched the drive. :mad:
Thanks

DonziJon
10-04-2008, 01:21 PM
YUP: '86 Minx Alpha I is 1.50. I just bought a NEW OEM Merc Alpha I for my '86 Minx. I had to settle for 1.47. I don't think the 1.5 is available any more.

What kind of damage did you do to the old drive? John

kcatucci
10-04-2008, 04:40 PM
Thanks. Heard a rumble. Heard the limiter kick in and that was all she wrote.
Upper unit shaft spins freely. Prop turns and seems to engage. Something between the two is obviously broken. Last drive i put the shaft thru the housing. I keep getting 1.35 in my head and I dont know why......old age maybe....

Trueser
10-04-2008, 04:42 PM
1.47 - 1.5 would be correct.

DonziJon
10-04-2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks. Heard a rumble. Heard the limiter kick in and that was all she wrote.
Upper unit shaft spins freely. Prop turns and seems to engage. Something between the two is obviously broken. Last drive i put the shaft thru the housing. I keep getting 1.35 in my head and I dont know why......old age maybe....

Can you be more SPECIFIC about the the damage to the old drive. Try to describe what you SEE when you look at the drive.. out of the water. Then describe how it functions when you put it gear....or out of gear IN the water.

What makes you think the drive is Kaput? Did you HIT something? Please advize. John

kcatucci
10-05-2008, 08:18 AM
No I didnt hit anything. From the outside the drive looks fine except I can smell the gear oil.

I have already pulled the drive off. In the top end the shaft turns freely. When it is in gear the top shaft still turns freely but the prop doesnt move. The prop turns freely too and I can hear the impeller turning. When engaged in gear it still turns but the top shaft does not. I dont think I will know what happened till I split the upper and lower. Probably do that Monday or Tuesday.

Can you be more SPECIFIC about the the damage to the old drive. Try to describe what you SEE when you look at the drive.. out of the water. Then describe how it functions when you put it gear....or out of gear IN the water.

What makes you think the drive is Kaput? Did you HIT something? Please advize. John

DonziJon
10-05-2008, 11:48 AM
No I didnt hit anything. From the outside the drive looks fine except I can smell the gear oil.

I have already pulled the drive off. In the top end the shaft turns freely. When it is in gear the top shaft still turns freely but the prop doesnt move. The prop turns freely too and I can hear the impeller turning. When engaged in gear it still turns but the top shaft does not. I dont think I will know what happened till I split the upper and lower. Probably do that Monday or Tuesday.

I'm thinking you maybe knocked.. or wore the teeth off the "Sliding Clutch" or off the "clutch teeth" on a mating gear in the lower. Just as a reference: I bent the prop shaft in mine and the local mechs said about $850. to replace the shaft and a "few seals". The shaft is a good chunk of change. If you do all your own work (and have the special tools required) it's obviously just the cost of parts.

And while your "in there", you probably want to replace a few other parts as well...like both lower gears.....and so it goes ... John

kcatucci
10-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Well I got it all opened up. The upper gears are a total wipe out. Anyone know how difficult it is to change them?

I'm thinking you maybe knocked.. or wore the teeth off the "Sliding Clutch" or off the "clutch teeth" on a mating gear in the lower. Just as a reference: I bent the prop shaft in mine and the local mechs said about $850. to replace the shaft and a "few seals". The shaft is a good chunk of change. If you do all your own work (and have the special tools required) it's obviously just the cost of parts.

And while your "in there", you probably want to replace a few other parts as well...like both lower gears.....and so it goes ... John

DonziJon
10-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Well I got it all opened up. The upper gears are a total wipe out. Anyone know how difficult it is to change them?

Sorry to hear that. Not trying to be sarcastic: .....One thing I've learned over the years, when it comes to getting "certain" work done...It isn't necessarily ..."In The Doin... It's In The Knowin".

Get a manual from West Marine and have a look. Some projects, you can just unbolt and replace the broken part with a new part. The O/D requires special tools, spanners, gear shimming, etc.

In my case, I just decided to go out and buy a whole new drive that comes with some piece of mind. John

kcatucci
10-06-2008, 07:43 PM
pricing on the hd gear set and required tools would be great. thanks

There is a HD gearset available for it, 1.5 ratio. Mandatory upgrade IMO, you are already in there. You also need to open up the lower and clean / inspect / refresh it..

Special tools required for rebuild, and some experiance would be a good thing. If you want pricing on the gearset and tools let me know..