PDA

View Full Version : 1969 Donzi Sportsman

Dads Thunder
10-04-2008, 08:40 AM
Well everyone today is the start of an 8 year dream . My son Jesse and I are going to start the complete custom restoration on our 1969 28 Donzi Sportsman . Thanks Last Tango for all incouragement that you have been . I have been talking about this for so long . I am going to try to post step by step pictures . Wish us luck !!

chappy
10-04-2008, 08:55 AM
Good luck, sounds like an awesome project, the step by step pics make a great thread.:thumbsup:

Last Tango
10-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Since I will personally profit from the fruits of their labors, I can only wish them well. How will I profit? More awesome trips from Sandusky to Kelly's Island. Mike is an excellent host. And Jesse is an awesome boating buddy.
Mike is no rookie to the boat restoration hobby, so this Sportsman will receive the best of everything, and quality workmanship.
I have ridden on this boat with Mike and Jesse and it totally eats Lake Erie's furry. It puts much bigger and fancier boats with mega-buck gelcoat paint schemes to shame out on the lake. Fountains, Baja's, whatever, all throttle back in waters that the Sportsman remains full ahead.
Ol' Don really had is sh** together on this one.

Dads Thunder
10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Cool, cant wait to see the project progress...

Do you know what hull # you have?

Best I can tell you from what I have learned in the last 8 years . There are only 10 split deck 28 sportsman made. The 1967,1968 there were plenty of these made. I have yet to see another split deck around here. I spoke to a guy out west that said he had a 1968 split deck an I saw some pics but the stern was not the same . Another told me to check the bulk head for a Walt Walters signature . We will see ...........

mphatc
10-06-2008, 07:46 PM
This is to inspire you! http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1967-Donzi--90564412

Mario L.

Dads Thunder
10-06-2008, 07:55 PM
Since I will personally profit from the fruits of their labors, I can only wish them well. How will I profit? More awesome trips from Sandusky to Kelly's Island. Mike is an excellent host. And Jesse is an awesome boating buddy.
Mike is no rookie to the boat restoration hobby, so this Sportsman will receive the best of everything, and quality workmanship.
I have ridden on this boat with Mike and Jesse and it totally eats Lake Erie's furry. It puts much bigger and fancier boats with mega-buck gelcoat paint schemes to shame out on the lake. Fountains, Baja's, whatever, all throttle back in waters that the Sportsman remains full ahead.
Ol' Don really had is sh** together on this one.

Mark we pulled the engines out . Everything went great thanks to my friend Bill Hendrix who is a master at everything. Jesse well you Know him he was in the clouds ripping it all apart . After pulling the engines all the mechanics around the area were in awe to see how well those steel brackets on the front of the trans and also the back would line the engines perfect ! I am going to have Donzi Sprayed on ! No decals and also Many coats of clearcoat . Well I'll tell you more soon . Again thanks buddy for always keeping the dream alive . We are on a mission !!!!

Dads Thunder
10-06-2008, 07:59 PM
This is to inspire you! http://www.boattrader.com/find/listing/1967-Donzi--90564412

Mario L.

Thanks for the pic .I have seen that many times very nice . My 1969 looks are not the same . I will post some pics soon ....