PDA

View Full Version : 22C New XM Stereo System

Air 22
10-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Well it was time to finally install some tune in our 22C...
The Boat came without any radio/speakers so this wiil be fun..A New Sony XPLODE XM Stereo and 4 Marine POLK AUDIO Speakers now are installed:pimp:.
Sounds great:rock:
u can plug-in an IPOD up front for even more variety..:yes::biggrin.::pimp:
I made custom aluminum brackets for each side of the stereo to assist the stock mounting bracket.
Cutting the dash was the most difficult...hole-saws are wonderful tools!!:biggrin.::yes:

The Hedgehog
10-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Did you paint those polks?

Air 22
10-03-2008, 10:54 PM
Did you paint those polks?

:yes: and they match...:cool:

The Hedgehog
10-04-2008, 07:26 AM
:yes: and they match...:cool:

Nice looking bracket too.

What did you use as paint?

smokediver
10-04-2008, 07:32 AM
Nice looking job ! great speakers too !

Air 22
10-04-2008, 08:06 AM
Nice looking bracket too.
What did you use as paint?

I used Dupli-Color Metal Cast found @ Advanced Auto...They have several Anodized colors ..RED, blue, gold, green, purple etc.They also make a metal flake (silver color) that u apply first to bring out the adodized look..I may need some Blue in the future..:cool:...lol

here is what the can looks like...:) Stuff works great...I have been using the past several years..my alternator bracket, trim-pump housing, fuel pump/impeller bracket and oil/powersteering cooler all have been painted and still look great. They key is really prep the area to be painted..ie remove all grease/oils etc, sand, rinse, dry, prime, metal flake, dry, then desired color. Good Luck...lemme know if u have any other questions...:)

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=6553&affiliateid=10050

The Hedgehog
10-04-2008, 09:28 AM
I used Dupli-Color Metal Cast found @ Advanced Auto...They have several Anodized colors ..RED, blue, gold, green, purple etc.They also make a metal flake (silver color) that u apply first to bring out the adodized look..I may need some Blue in the future..:cool:...lol
here is what the can looks like...:) Stuff works great...I have been using the past several years..my alternator bracket, trim-pump housing, fuel pump/impeller bracket and oil/powersteering cooler all have been painted and still look great. They key is really prep the area to be painted..ie remove all grease/oils etc, sand, rinse, dry, prime, metal flake, dry, then desired color. Good Luck...lemme know if u have any other questions...:)
http://www.midwayautosupply.com/showproduct.aspx?productid=6553&affiliateid=10050

I used some of that on some cup holders. It came out pretty good. Did you shoot clear over it?

I am practicing up for my lift ram.

yeller
10-04-2008, 12:24 PM
Looks good Air.
I bought those Polks as well. Great speaker. IMO, not a better speaker in or near that price range.

Good info on the paint. I've seen it on the shelves, but have been hesitant to try it.

kramsay1234
10-05-2008, 12:23 PM
Are those Polks db651's? I am changing out my speakers and was thinking MB Quart, or Infinity and now maybe Polk. I would like 6x9's in the rear and 6.5's in the front.

I notice the Polk MM651UM has a massive magnet in comparison. Anyone heard the difference? Or the Polk Momo line for that matter...

Air 22
10-05-2008, 03:22 PM
Are those Polks db651's? I am changing out my speakers and was thinking MB Quart, or Infinity and now maybe Polk. I would like 6x9's in the rear and 6.5's in the front.

I notice the Polk MM651UM has a massive magnet in comparison. Anyone heard the difference? Or the Polk Momo line for that matter...

Yes they r Polk DB651's....and sound AWSOME!!:cool::rock:

yeller
10-05-2008, 03:35 PM

I notice the Polk MM651UM has a massive magnet in comparison. Anyone heard the difference? Or the Polk Momo line for that matter...MB Quart are a nice speaker. Infinity gets good reviews and was thinking about them as well, but once I heard them, I took them off my list. Tweeter hurt my ears. I actually have the momo's MMC650. $100 at crutchfields, 3yr warranty. There is nothing in that price range that sounds as good. If you're willing to spend more, look at JL Audio.

Tony
10-05-2008, 08:30 PM
Which Sony head unit did you use?
I assume it has a built in amp...what kind of power does it put out?

:beer:

Air 22
10-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Which Sony head unit did you use?
I assume it has a built in amp...what kind of power does it put out?

Tony..its a Sony Xplod CDX-GT520 XM(SAT Ready) stereo.. it has a built in amp..:cool:....see link below for spec's...it sounds great...the Polk speakers are the key:biggrin.: The XM Radio kit (sold sep) was easy to plug in behind the dash...you use the stereo head controls to select and listen to XM Stations, plug in ipod, cd's or am/fm stations etc.:wink:
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fZv1eGaFLzZ/App/Product/Item/Main.aspx?g=300&i=158GT520&tab=detailed_info

kramsay1234
10-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Have you heard the JL M650-CCX 6.5"? I don't mind stepping up in price if they sound superior.

MB Quart are a nice speaker. Infinity gets good reviews and was thinking about them as well, but once I heard them, I took them off my list. Tweeter hurt my ears. I actually have the momo's MMC650. $100 at crutchfields, 3yr warranty. There is nothing in that price range that sounds as good. If you're willing to spend more, look at JL Audio.

mattyboy
10-06-2008, 08:17 AM
Nice Dwight !!!!!
those should definetly exceed the lake george noise regulations :yes::wink:

Tony
10-06-2008, 08:42 AM
Good thread. I've been putting off updating my system because I thought the return would not be worth the expense. But, for about $200, (two speakers and the head unit), I think I'll put this on my "to do" list.

I studied the Sony Explod line of head units and noticed that they are all rated at the same power (52w X 4), and even the basic models have an aux input on the front for an iPod hookup. They also make a basic "marine" version, with white trim, for just over $100.

I'll let others "rock the bay" with their sub-woofers and powered amplifiers.
I'm happy with a decent-sounding 3 component system that accepts my iPod.