PDA

View Full Version : penn yann

gero1
10-02-2008, 06:59 AM
what happened to them, are they still around? the tunnel drive boats of the late 70's were a ball to drive

MOP
10-02-2008, 10:49 AM
Penn Yann was bought by a British firm around 1980 to the best of my knowledge they are still being produced, they were a favorite of the shoal water guys. I would like to stop in the town of Penn Yann one day to see the original plant on my way back from the 1000 Islands. At about 12 my first power boat was a double cockpit strip plank 13 foot Penn Yann with a 35 Gale on it, round chined bugger it was however a pretty darn good handling boat. The Gale was a lot of motor for it I was constantly replacing ring nails with screws. When I was about 14 I used to load it with 3-6 gal tanks an go off shore, I would run one tank out fish 1/2 the day and run back through Fire Island Inlet. That came to a halt after a few trips the CG nailed me about 30 miles out and towed me in, my dad went nuts but sort of suspected I was going out as many of the fish I caught were a bit big and not usual bay fish. Later on when I became a marine mech I worked on a ton of PY's, they were simple and very well thought out though a bit cheap but perfect to the budget fisherman. You could bounce them over the shallow bars in Fire Island inlet and just lightly polish the prop tips, they were fun to drive but a pain to dock stern first most owner docked pointy end first!

Phil

Glenora
10-02-2008, 04:15 PM
Penn Yan is a neat place. We do a 100 mile bike (bicycle) ride every fall that goes through Amish country, including Pen Yann and around 4 of the Finger Lakes. Everything is in slow-motion on those back roads, with the horse-drawn buggies and family gatherings at the old fashioned schools houses and churches. If you are ever visiting Watkins Glen for the races or wheatever, go to Hammondsport and visit the Glenn Curtis Museum (fastest man on earth with a 136 mph motorcycle in 1902)! http://www.glennhcurtissmuseum.org/museum/glenncurtiss.html. Then when you are in Penn Yan stop at Lloyds Limited for some good beers.
Keuka Lake is a great place to go boating, but they are strict about noise and speed.
Seneca Lake (my lake!) is right next door and has no speed limit. 35 miles in length and 650 feet deep. Great time of the year to visit the Finger Lakes, especially now; during grape harvest season. Excellent wineries are everywhere!

Glenora
10-02-2008, 04:21 PM
Check this out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ODWXrsGilTM

gero1
10-03-2008, 09:08 PM
been looking to see what they have been up to, maybe i was typing it in wrong, can't find the site