PDA

View Full Version : So ... Maine?

zelatore
09-30-2008, 12:42 PM
Looks like I'm going to be in Maine Sunday morning through the next weekend.

What's to do in Maine? I'm originally from the midwest you know - everybody from Indiana thinks all the west coast is LA, all the east coast is Manhattan, and all the NorthEast is Martha's Vineyard. :shades:

Actually, I know we're going to do a lot of hiking since this is her vacation and that's what she wants to do. But I'm sure I can squeeze in a day or two of boat stuff. Anybody up in that neck of the woods have some recommendations for me?

I'm trying to get over my psychological block of all things north-east; after all, I like their boats - there must be something else from 'down east' I'll like. :biggrin:

Morgan's Cloud
09-30-2008, 12:51 PM
:lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster: :lobster:

There's a few ideas for you ....... :biggrin:

mike o
09-30-2008, 01:03 PM
I would recommend Rte 1, from Brunswick (just north of Portland) to Arcadia -Bar harbour for sure (hiking) ect. You can take the fast ferry to Novia-scotia for the day also if ya have the time... out of Bar H. Foliage is near peek here in the White mt. Im an 1.5 hours west of Portland, On (golden pond) Squam Lake, If ya want a boat ride. Or borrow the Buell m2 + explore the White Mts for the day. Michael.

zelatore
09-30-2008, 06:11 PM
Morgan - That of course came to mind; only problem is I'm not a seafood guy. My brother, who is but still lives in Indiana, finds the fact that I live on the coast and don't like seafood particularly hard to swallow.

Mike - you're killin' me with the Buell! I'd love to take you up on that, but I don't think I'll be packing all our riding gear along...I'm sure she'll have enough suitcases to invade Normandy as it is. Although I have been know to rent the occasional Harley for a day when on vacation, so I might get a little two wheel touring in. We're there Sunday to Sunday, so I should have time.

mike o
09-30-2008, 06:35 PM
Morgan - That of course came to mind; only problem is I'm not a seafood guy. My brother, who is but still lives in Indiana, finds the fact that I live on the coast and don't like seafood particularly hard to swallow.

Mike - you're killin' me with the Buell! I'd love to take you up on that, but I don't think I'll be packing all our riding gear along...I'm sure she'll have enough suitcases to invade Normandy as it is. Although I have been know to rent the occasional Harley for a day when on vacation, so I might get a little two wheel touring in. We're there Sunday to Sunday, so I should have time.:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: speed double. Have a nice va-ca:biggrin.:

txtaz
09-30-2008, 07:11 PM
Can you say blue berry pie? Blue berries are just goin out of season. Get them while you can.

BTW, It's pronounced Baaa Haaarbor. Miane speak.

Da Taz<---yep I speak Mainer.

gcarter
09-30-2008, 07:17 PM
:worthy::worthy::worthy::worthy: non speed double. Have a nice va-ca:biggrin.:
Bonnie?

mike o
09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
bonnie? .....78

mike o
09-30-2008, 07:23 PM
Can you say blue berry pie? Blue berries are just goin out of season. Get them while you can.

BTW, It's pronounced Baaa Haaarbor. Miane speak.

Da Taz<---yep I speak Mainer..... Is ya place up thar?

zelatore
09-30-2008, 07:29 PM
Nice Mike - what year?
(I see that was answered while I was messing around looking for pics of mine)

There's a fair chance I'll eventually get a late model Bonnie for Michele. Mostly I ride an '06 Speed Triple - it's parked in front of the office right now.

Of course, I've also got this at home, but I don't ride it much these days. I picked it up about the time the new Thruxtons were hitting the magazines, so I got a lot of double takes with Bonnie riders thinking this was the new bike. Then they got closer and saw it's a water cooled triple instead of an air cooled parallel twin.

mphatc
09-30-2008, 08:07 PM
Where in Maine do you have reservations ? It's a large state.

For boats there's not much in the way of performance boats . .
Camden is all large sailboats, now a preppy yachty tourist village
Bar Harbor and Acadia Nat'l Park, absolutely wonderful ocean side high mountain hiking, it is the only place on the east coast with mountains and alpine flora and fauna.
Inland, lots of hiking , but a long drive to get into the wilderness
Close by is NH, North Conway and the Mt Washington area . .
you might enjoy a day on Monhegan Island . . artists colony with nice easy hiking, nice B&Bs nearby

Your here off season, so in many areas you won't need reservations, making it easy to travel weekdays w/o a hard schedule

Enjoy! If you want to do a track day NHMS is open with Boston Chapter on the 17th . . but you'll need a car . . so rent a Hertz Mustang , I'll give a quik tech inspection!

Mario L.

zelatore
09-30-2008, 08:45 PM
Honestly, I have no idea where we are staying. I think it's somewhat inland in the mountains. We have a timeshare that we traded for a week at this place, but since this is 'her' vacation, I'm just sort of along for the ride.

'my' vacation comes in the spring when we charter a trawler in the San Jauns/Gulf Islands. :boat:

zelatore
10-01-2008, 01:37 PM
OK, now I know where we're going:

Rangeley, ME. Looks like it's on a little lake way over on the west side of the state near NH. Probaly 4 hrs from the coast. :garfield:

Still, I can't go to Maine and not visit the coast, so looks like I'll do some driving.

txtaz
10-01-2008, 02:55 PM
.... Is ya place up thar?

Yep, on Cape Jelison just outside of Stockton. The Haarrbah is just down the road. The looobbbsta and Atlantic Salmon are ridiculously good. Plus I got a $17 blueberry pie form a little ol' lady selling out of her front yard. I know pricey, but she needed it and it was homemade. I brough half back with me and was surprised when it made it through customs. Now my wife is like "can we go this weekend...how about next weekend?"

Poodle is right...I get up at 4am, and up there it is daylight. And it kinda sucks because nothing is open till 6am and that is a little general store ALSO everything closes as 8pm. SO if you are going out to eat, make it early.

Da Taz<---When was the last time you had a lobster roll and it was 100% lobster for $7.00? I'm serious, lobster and bread only.

DonziJon
10-01-2008, 03:00 PM
Been there, done that. Nice little town. Took the Minx up there a few years ago but you really don't need something like that to see the lake. A rental aluminum boat w/10 HP can do the job in an afternoon. Drive over to "Mooselook" Lake to the boat dealer. I got my first drive in a Donzi from that dealer. It's about half dozen miles out of Rangely.

Best dinner in town is the Rangely Inn on the main street. They also used to have a place called the "Road Kill Cafe"....not sure if it's still there. On the menu it says "If You Can Identify It, It's Free". :yes:

In addition to being an Old Fashioned Inn, "The Rangely" is a good place to stay. They also have a motel directly overlooking another small lake.

They have a Cessna Floatplane on the lake for sightseeing flights. Last time we were there I was almost able to get my Seaplane Endorcement to my pilots licence. The weather turned bad before I could begin instruction. If you elect to go on a sightseeing flight, ASK if they will let you fly the plane once you are airborne. You might find it fun. John

zelatore
10-01-2008, 03:10 PM
OK then - I had forgotten about Hinkley being in Maine. I really know nothing about the area. As for the seafood, well, that's not for me.

Looks like I'll be doing some driving, so better look into upgrading the rentaslug.

We've got some huge condo - sleeps 6 or 8 or something - but it's just the two of us. We had some friends coming but they had to cancel. I don't know the name of the place, but it's got to be associated with Marriot or Interval International as Michele traded our timeshare in Newport for it.

txtaz
10-01-2008, 03:14 PM
OK, now I know where we're going:
Rangeley, ME. Looks like it's on a little lake way over on the west side of the state near NH. Probaly 4 hrs from the coast. :garfield:
Still, I can't go to Maine and not visit the coast, so looks like I'll do some driving.

Zelatore, If you head for the coast then stay overnight. If you haven't seen tides like this, you will want to. Our backyard changes to mud every 12 hours as the tide goes out.

ALSO, head toward Bass Harbor and the lobsta bake they have there. It's on an island (called cucumber, zucchini or something different), nice boat ride out and back. A little pricey at $59/per person but worth it. You get a choice of chicken or lobster and all the fixins. DON'T wear you good clothes.:biggrin.:

Have a good time and if you're close to Stockton or Belfast let us know. We may make a long weekend trip up there.

Da Taz<---Soft shell lobstas are almost out of season. OOOOOOhhhhhhh and wait.....find some wild strawberries. They are the size of pees and MAN do they pack some flavor.

BUIZILLA
10-01-2008, 03:25 PM
As for the seafood, well, that's not for me.
your a Democrat and you also don't like seafood... welp, Florida's not for you then... :wink: :biggrin.:

zelatore
10-01-2008, 04:12 PM
your a Democrat and you also don't like seafood... welp, Florida's not for you then... :wink: :biggrin.:

hey - I'm not a democrat, I'm an independant. I've been known to vote for the occasional republican.

And I'll eat catfish - does that count? It's not really SEAfood. Of course, it's usually battered and deepfried to the point you can't really tell what it is anyway.

As for Florida...hmmmm....nice place to visit, but I don't think I want to live there. Nice water, but not much in the way of hills, mountains, etc (she's gotta have trees to be happy). Although I bet you can find some killer cuban food.

mike o
10-01-2008, 04:20 PM
Yep, on Cape Jelison just outside of Stockton. The Haarrbah is just down the road. The looobbbsta and Atlantic Salmon are ridiculously good. Plus I got a $17 blueberry pie form a little ol' lady selling out of her front yard. I know pricey, but she needed it and it was homemade. I brough half back with me and was surprised when it made it through customs. Now my wife is like "can we go this weekend...how about next weekend?"

Poodle is right...I get up at 4am, and up there it is daylight. And it kinda sucks because nothing is open till 6am and that is a little general store ALSO everything closes as 8pm. SO if you are going out to eat, make it early.

Da Taz<---When was the last time you had a lobster roll and it was 100% lobster for $7.00? I'm serious, lobster and bread only.... :biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.: A-YAH.. I buy my pies from that same lady once and awhile but.... for $7.00 like the lobsta rolls. Ya must of had ya 10 gallon hat and cowboy boots on.:biggrin.: A, YAH!

txtaz
10-01-2008, 05:06 PM
... :biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.: A-YAH.. I buy my pies from that same lady once and awhile but.... for $7.00 like the lobsta rolls. Ya must of had ya 10 gallon hat and cowboy boots on.:biggrin.: A, YAH!

No hat, just boots. And I made my last day hunting for lobter and crap rolls before I headed home. I have to say the lobster rolls won out. The crab was not bad. As a close friend of mine once said "It's not bad work if you can get it." You might have heard of him...Farriss Bueller.

Da Taz<---"Shake it up baby now..."

txtaz
10-01-2008, 05:09 PM
... :biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.: A-YAH.. I buy my pies from that same lady once and awhile but.... for $7.00 like the lobsta rolls. Ya must of had ya 10 gallon hat and cowboy boots on.:biggrin.: A, YAH!

No hat, just boots. And I made my last day hunting for lobster and crab rolls before I headed home. I have to say the lobster rolls won out. The crab was not bad. As a close friend of mine once said "It's not bad work if you can get it." You might have heard of him...Feriss Bueller.

Da Taz<---"Shake it up baby now...twist and shout"

mike o
10-01-2008, 06:01 PM
No hat, just boots. And I made my last day hunting for lobster and crab rolls before I headed home. I have to say the lobster rolls won out. The crab was not bad. As a close friend of mine once said "It's not bad work if you can get it." You might have heard of him...Feriss Bueller.

Da Taz<---"Shake it up baby now...twist and shout":kingme:... come on come now... babyyyy, now:kingme:

txtaz
10-01-2008, 08:18 PM
:kingme:... come on come now... babyyyy, now:kingme:

Well those are OK, I prefer black ostrich tail. I get them here hand made on, Yep, boot hill. Send me your addy and $1,100 and I'll get you a pair.

Don't mess with Texas, we like our things nice. AND what is up with the "babyyy now" comment?

Da Taz<---Perhaps I need to drink more to understand that post.

txtaz
10-01-2008, 08:26 PM
My bad...I just re-read the post and got it...

So to continue....

"scream and shout"

Man to remember those party days. To this day I wonder how I ever graduated college the first time. Now I'm on my third time and I'm still wondering.

Da Taz<---I soon get one of those cool cap and gowns.

mike o
10-01-2008, 08:36 PM
""RAWHIDE"":biggrin.:... THANKS FOR THE BOOT OFFER... gotta pay for the rug!!!

mphatc
10-02-2008, 08:15 PM
Don,

Rangeley is a long way from the ocean . . plan well

Northeast Harbor where Hinckley builds Y A C H T S is 175 miles from Rangeley
The place Poodle was referring to is the Jordon Pond House within Acadia Nat'l Park, easily accessed from NE Harbor

Closer places that are nice on the coast are Boothbay, Rockport and Portlands waterfront which has nice restaurants a bunch of small micro brews, Portland Head Light and a few nice drives along the coast

on the western side the Mt Washington Auto Road is only 96 miles from Rangeley, it is an awesome drive to the summit that you would enjoy! I raced an M3 up this 2 weeks ago . . . 4.40 minutes to the gravel section! Do this on a very clear day, and then drive south to N Conway for a great meal, I can suggest many places for all budgets.

Mario L.

mike o
10-03-2008, 09:35 AM
Nice weather for ya too..:biggrin.:.. through weds anyway. :convertib::convertib: :convertib: WATCH OUT FOR DA MOOSE AT NITE UP THERE.:biggrin.::biggrin.::biggrin.:

txtaz
10-03-2008, 09:42 AM
Just got off the phone with the folks who are staying up there for a few more months. The rain from Kyle has stopped and it is clearing up. Cool mornings (low 40's) and if you get close to Searsport check out the maritime museum.

Da Taz

boxy
10-03-2008, 10:07 AM
The looobbbsta and Atlantic Salmon are ridiculously good. Plus I got a $17 blueberry pie form a little ol' lady selling out of her front yard. I know pricey, but she needed it and it was homemade. I brough half back with me and was surprised when it made it through customs. Now my wife is like "can we go this weekend...how about next weekend?"

Taz, was it Maine Customs you had to clear on the way out, or Texas Customs on the landing ????? :D :D

mike o
10-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Breakfest in Rangley... lunch at the Balsams Grand Resort Hotel... Auto road to summit of Mt.Washington (mentioned)... followed by a cocktail the Mt. Washington Grand Hotel. Good stuff.. Got google!:yes:.

txtaz
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Taz, was it Maine Customs you had to clear on the way out, or Texas Customs on the landing ????? :D :D

Actually it was Texas customs since we are the only state to have been a country. My bad, I should have said "screening". Bust my chops while your at it. It's all fun, however you may see some rubber duckies in your future. Ohhh Todd, should we make this a three way? Ohhh wait that sounds bad.

Da Taz<---Yep you need a passport to enter Texas. A 9 mil works best.

MOP
10-03-2008, 12:11 PM
I lived up in Maine in 58-59 while stationed a Loring AFB in the town of Caribou which was like living in the wild west. I could tell some funny stories about living up there and about going into Canada but would be typing all day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!