PDA

View Full Version : Bent Valve...Damaged Piston

Barry Eller
09-30-2008, 05:26 AM
Number 7 exhaust valve...bent, contacted piston.

I pulled the Gil exhaust Sunday to get the valve covers off and found the damage that was visible, could not move the valve stem so I knew it was bent. pulled the intake and head last night and saw the piston damage.

I won't be bringing YIPPY-KAI-YAY to the Owners Rally this weekend, but Denise and I are still coming. Dan (p729lws), I like your idea of Denise and Laura in the 3 man bolsters of your Pantera, but you are leaving me out!!!

Engine removal will begin tonight, but there is no way I'll have it finished by Friday, I'm good, but not that good!!!

gcarter
09-30-2008, 06:45 AM
What's goin on here Barry?
That's very discouraging.

Barry Eller
09-30-2008, 07:05 AM
What's goin on here Barry?
That's very discouraging.

I think the valve locks didn't hold. They are Comp Cams Superlocks. Its time to change oil anyway...doesn't everyone pull their engines to change oil?:nilly:

Yes, I am a little discouraged...:wrench: But in the great scheme of things, I'm alright!

Donzi Racer
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I think the valve locks didn't hold. They are Comp Cams Superlocks. Its time to change oil anyway...doesn't everyone pull their engines to change oil?:nilly:

Yes, I am a little discouraged...:wrench: But in the great scheme of things, I'm alright!

Barry, sorry to hear of your bad experience but looks like you have it well in hand getting it back together.

Donzi Vol's Grand Father has gone into the hospitial in Knoxville and it does not look like he will make it. I am sure all of our Donzi Families prayers go out to him and his family.

Not sure if we will be able to get up to get the Barrel Back to Destin in time for the event. Anyone going close to knoxville or chattanooga on the way down to Florida, with a free 2 inch trailer ball hooked to anything that will tow an 18 footer, we will be glad to pay for the gas and party drinks when you get to Destin. Still working on it for the show. Rose and I will still try and make it but not sure right now. Best to everyone and hope we see you all there.

Tom

BigGrizzly
09-30-2008, 05:22 PM
If I were Dan I would do the same, no ned for useless baggage(you) :cool!:

MOP
09-30-2008, 07:40 PM
Just checked the post! BUMMER

Barry Eller
09-30-2008, 08:39 PM
Donzi Vol's Grand Father has gone into the hospitial in Knoxville and it does not look like he will make it. I am sure all of our Donzi Families prayers go out to him and his family.

Yes, he is in our prayers.

p729lws
09-30-2008, 09:08 PM
If I were Dan I would do the same, no ned for useless baggage(you) :cool!:

I have room for both of the Eller's but Denise has to bring her own SPF 112 sun screen and Barry's not allowed near the motor or throttle, lol. As long as he stays away from the shine I guess he can drive :outtahere:

Prayers to Donzi Vol's family.

Dan

Barry Eller
09-30-2008, 09:13 PM
I have room for both of the Eller's but Denise has to bring her own SPF 112 sun screen and Barry's not allowed near the motor or throttle, lol. As long as he stays away from the shine I guess he can drive :outtahere:
Dan

Denise is out of her SPF 112 Sunscreen, she wants to know if she can put her bimini on your Pantera?:kingme:

p729lws
09-30-2008, 09:21 PM
Denise is out of her SPF 112 Sunscreen, she wants to know if she can put her bimini on your Pantera?:kingme:

She can use Laura's SPF 98. The yellow bimini and green Pantera eyes might be too Green Bay for this Cowboys fan....
Dan

samjannarone
09-30-2008, 09:43 PM

BigGrizzly
10-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Sorry I missed the Donzi Vol Post, my prayer go with you.

BigGrizzly
10-01-2008, 09:35 AM
Barry, so bringing a prop for you is out:pizza:

Barry Eller
10-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Barry, so bringing a prop for you is out:pizza:

To bring you up to date...head with new valve, all valves checked on that head will be installed back on the 502 tonight. Techs here at the dealership and my machine shop guys ground the slight damage to the piston down and they say it is good to go. I'll have it running sometime Friday morning...:crossfing: Wish me luck!!!

See ya sometime Friday afternoon. Dan has a golf date in Panama City Friday afternoon, Denise will pick Laura up and they will arrive Friday night.

Barry Eller
10-02-2008, 06:42 AM
Head and intake installed and torqued last night. I was washing rockers and push rods when Mike Miller called last night, Denise held the phone to my ear so I could speak with him. I will get the valves adjusted this evening and will continue to assemble to get it ready to bring to the Rally!!!

I think aluminum heads will be my next upgrade, these iron BBC heads are HEAVY to lift and install with the block still in the boat!!!

I think I need some Ibuprofen for my back!!!

joseph m. hahnl
10-03-2008, 03:20 PM
To bring you up to date...head with new valve, all valves checked on that head will be installed back on the 502 tonight. Techs here at the dealership and my machine shop guys ground the slight damage to the piston down and they say it is good to go. I'll have it running sometime Friday morning...:crossfing: Wish me luck!!!

See ya sometime Friday afternoon. Dan has a golf date in Panama City Friday afternoon, Denise will pick Laura up and they will arrive Friday night.

Funny that is what I was thinking when I saw the pictures:yes:. Glad to see every thing is working out to get her going again:smash:.

Good luck

The Hedgehog
10-03-2008, 03:46 PM
Head and intake installed and torqued last night. I was washing rockers and push rods when Mike Miller called last night, Denise held the phone to my ear so I could speak with him. I will get the valves adjusted this evening and will continue to assemble to get it ready to bring to the Rally!!!
I think aluminum heads will be my next upgrade, these iron BBC heads are HEAVY to lift and install with the block still in the boat!!!
I think I need some Ibuprofen for my back!!!

You don't fool around. I am glad it was not worse. Enjoy

Barry Eller
10-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Finished...runs just like its supposed to!!! Just washed her and then washed me! Waiting for AT&T to let Denise come home...then heading to the Rally in Ft. Walton!!!

YIPPY-KAI-YAY (MF) MY FRIENDS!!!