PDA

View Full Version : Corsican performance questions

bootdaddy
09-29-2008, 05:45 PM
Just bought a 69' Corsican mostly original except motor and upholstery and purple paint (over the black).

Curious to know how the volvo gimbal does with an upgraded volvo duo-prop drive with trim? Also, has anybody tried (or know results from) a blackhawk drive on this hull. Will probably leave transom alone and go with volvo duo-propo setup...

Also, has a Ford 351 Cleveland putting out around 350hp and am considering a vintage cobra with weber carbs. How much room is in the engine compartment area.

Also interested in hearing about other dos and don'ts so I don't pee on myself.

Thanks.

Patrick

cutwater
09-29-2008, 05:55 PM
lso interested in hearing about other dos and don'ts wo I don't pee on myself.

Nooooo!!! This is the second thread! Is someone putting you up to this? Haha...

don'ts: Don't put a blackhawk drive on it...

dos: Restore the boat to original condition, then talk to BigGrizzly about getting set up with a nice prop for the Volvo.

This is turning into a nightmare... :wink:

BigGrizzly
09-29-2008, 06:25 PM
I own one with a Cleavland. I have trim and tilt and a special prop no need to put the old Duo prop conversion on it . It will slow you down. Cutwater he is talking about a common upgrade t5hat happened in the eaely 1990s not a bad deal--way different them a black hawk.

jl1962
09-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Welcome to the Board and congrats on the boat - that's a rare bird. I would err on the side of keeping the boat either stock or somewhat period correct. I have a '67 Ski Sporter which is mostly original - it is what it is and it's AWESOME! Also it isn't what it isn't. I think of my boat as an old Porsche - it won't run with the new ones but it's way cooler (to me):wink:

You wanted an old Donzi and you got a great one.....bring it to Lake George next year and people will line up to see it.

Also - listen to Grizz!!!!:kingme:

Jay

bootdaddy
09-29-2008, 07:19 PM
Fear not! The plan is to keep everything exactly as is or back to as close to original as possible. I may put a vintage cobra motor with weber carb to make it sound like its age.

Yes - Grizzly set me up with a great prop on my 77 Hornet and I will get in touch with Randy on this.

Interesting on the duo-prop as I have info from a reliable source that tells me it will add 10-15 mph...hmmm.

And my Sportsman project that I took over from Scott is well underway as the original 007 boat, the only thing different will be the Konrad drives and the 625hp 510cid motors! I will get a thread going in the next few months and share the progress pics.

Thanks for the help and info.

zelatore
09-29-2008, 07:25 PM
There's a reason you don't see duo-props (or Bravo IIIs) on performance boats - they offer great thrust and can push a big boat up on plane and out of the water, but generally they are slightly slower on top end than a well tuned single prop.

Of course, somebody here has as 22 Classic with a duo-prop and a 454 that's just as fast as my 502/bravo 1, so what the heck do I know:boggled:

bootdaddy
09-29-2008, 07:46 PM
Is there any Corsican literature floating around to peek at?

bootdaddy
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
Anybody have any experience (or a spare) volvo e-drive lower?

BigGrizzly
09-30-2008, 12:05 PM
The friend was wrong the duo-prop will not add but decrease speed on thatboat.. I won't even talk about it.

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 12:50 PM
the aquamatic and SX duoprop versions are not real performance drives they are an option for the cruisers and bigger boats to eliminate torque steering help planning as has been mentioned but there are versions of the drive that are for performance applications, props become an issue as they are in pairs and don't go by normal measurements so you could build a monster motor and not be able to prop it correctly i would keep the volvo by a 23 solas build the motor put a nosecone on it run her til she breaks then put a new volvo on her with intergral hydraulic steering and trim ;) oh and keep the cleveland

Kirbyvv
09-30-2008, 01:12 PM
Fast, rare and fragile
and the biggest issue...no parts available

Conquistador_del_mar
09-30-2008, 01:55 PM
Anybody have any experience (or a spare) volvo e-drive lower?

They are very fast bullet drives. I will be installing one on my 1971 18' 2+3 restoration. Here are some with an extra cavitation plate welded on and one that is original. Someone needs to make the replacement gears - maybe me some day - :rolleyes: Bill

MOP
09-30-2008, 03:26 PM
What is wrong with a Backhawk?????????? We have an 18 in our midst that runs high 70's with a bone stock 300 Merc. I had a BH on my 22, I did not have the power to do it justice but it worked great just ran to flat at WOT, the handling was superb compared to Bravo X and my mid range speed was higher at lower RPM's.

HIGH LIFE
09-30-2008, 03:44 PM
bootdaddy, I have a pair of E-drives w/pt,complete w/transom housings,3-blade 21" ss cleavers,Merc size shafts 1" X 15spline,and hyd pumps.............michael "HIGH LIFE" email:mspirito2019@comcast.net

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 05:49 PM
What is wrong with a Backhawk?????????? We have an 18 in our midst that runs high 70's with a bone stock 300 Merc. I had a BH on my 22, I did not have the power to do it justice but it worked great just ran to flat at WOT, the handling was superb compared to Bravo X and my mid range speed was higher at lower RPM's.

we are taking about a rare limited edition classic I don't think the BH was being trashed just that the originality of this particular boat should be preserved

MOP
09-30-2008, 06:09 PM
we are taking about a rare limited edition classic I don't think the BH was being trashed just that the originality of this particular boat should be preserved

I agree but it was one of bootdaddy options, hey Mario went the update route though with a bravo and came out great. His Corsican runs like a scalded dog!

mphatc
09-30-2008, 07:00 PM
Bootdaddy,

As a Corsican owner and one who has tried to maintain originality while also updating the boat . .and not one of DEEP pockets, allow me to share some quik thoughts . .

Good Corsicans are RARE . . nice Corsicans even rarer . .

I replaced my transom and converted to a Bravo, to retain left hand rotation and service ability and to have a stronger drive to match my now 380 HP SBF. I replaced my fuel tank with a 44 gallon tank . .

The value in our boats is in the originality, the original design with the Volvo, add a new Solas prop from Grizzly and you will have wonderful performance and amazing simplicity and excellent reliability. Everything you have on the boat is rebuildable!

My boat has power trim, which it doesn't need . . like the Volvo :confused:
My Bravo weighs more than the Volvo :garfield:
the Ford to Bravo set up is unique, was fun to build, but it wasn't w/o it's issues!!! also spelled $$$$$$$$$$$ :eek: it is cool:yes:

I guess if I had to do it over again it would have been a simple and total restoration to original specs . . maybe achieving 60 mph vs ~70 heck I mostly run it around 40-45 mph . . . :rolleyes:

The biggest kick I get is when I pull into a harbor or dock area, and someone asks, does it still have the Holman Moody! Amazing how many people know! Most everyone asks, What year is it? Soixante-neuf . . . :biggrin:

Mario L.

bootdaddy
09-30-2008, 07:51 PM
Great replies and thanks for all the input and advice.

I have no intention of messing with the transom with a non-volvo drive, but was curious and enjoy kicking ideas around and flushing ideas out.

I have heard good things on the Cleveland and this motor is reported to have about 5 hours on it since refresh and looks good. One power idea (in the future) is a replica Holman and Moody 427 using a new volvo painted white...

What does the board think about the dark purple vs. the original black on hull?

After hearing all the good info and considering what a great gem this boat is, I will keep it simple and replace windshield (anybody have a source) and put new carpet in and may freshen up paint with a fantastic paint and glass guy, run the Cleveland with the volvo...and see how it goes

I am setting up the cig 20 for flat our speed and this Corsican is so cool 50 or 60mph should be plenty

mphatc
09-30-2008, 07:58 PM
I make the Corsican windshields . . .right now I'm out of inventory, just need to find time to make more, I still have material to make them in the light green . .

but with the purple a gray shade might look better . . thoughts

Mario L.

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 08:08 PM
they never made a 427 HM outdrive in the corsican the 427HM were mated to a v drive

bootdaddy
09-30-2008, 08:21 PM
they never made a 427 HM outdrive in the corsican the 427HM were mated to a v drive

What HM motor came in '69 Corsican, and what other power was offered in Coriscan...?

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 08:28 PM
do you know the hull number??? depending on what time frame in 1969 they had a 225 235 271 290 HP options from a 289,302 and 351 setups the 300 and 400 hp 427 were v drive only but you could get the other hp and v drive as an option

another point here as well if there are holman moody parts on the boat they all have numbers on them and can verify the boat a big plus

bootdaddy
09-30-2008, 08:40 PM
Mattyboy you are unbelievable! (and I hope to get you Cig 20 # location soon)

Not sure if this is it but here is the number in ad...

CF5338TB

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 08:42 PM
that looks like a california registration number, we are now 99% sure there is no HIN on the 19 cig and that is the first one ever produced

bootdaddy
09-30-2008, 08:49 PM
that looks like a california registration number, we are now 99% sure there is no HIN on the 19 cig and that is the first one ever produced

You are losing me between cig and corsican...I think you are correct on that number being a cali registration and I will call broker for other info on Corsican...

Now on the cig is it 20 or 19 and if there is no number to be found you are telling me it is most likely the 1st one made...???

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 09:00 PM
i was asking on the yellow cig HIN location as we have tried to id the 72 19 cig that i helped my pal Kenny restore we are 99% sure his 19 cig is the first one produced in in1971 for the 1972 model year in 1972 they were a 19 and 3 hulls were made, in 73 they went to a 20 same boat same length as Brownie said the hornet 19 and the cig 19 grew to 20 footers when the USCG mandated floatation foam for anything under a 20 footer

sorry for the hijack

bootdaddy
09-30-2008, 09:05 PM
no prob on hijack...interesting stuff all around.

will look into Corsican numbers...

BigGrizzly
10-01-2008, 08:37 AM
Let me interject some things here. The Volvo as MOP will verify is as strong as the Bravo. The biggest reason to swap is because of prop availability and trim. Both can be put on the Volvo drive and parts are available. Mario will tell you the swap to the Bravo was a pain, adapter plates etc. Mario Made me a couple of Smoked windshields( Thank You again) I sold on to Tom Freeman no profit made, we split the cost. Back to the drive. You can put 270/280T on it with no modification or a 290 with about 3/4 X1 inch hole enlargement. With the prop I sell your sell your right there. I too have well over th3 350HP mark and no drive issues since I have the drive except cone clutch slipping which was cured with dismantling and lapping them together. I have the original H&M package including the rare limited production intake and heads. H&M made a special big port and small valves for that application. Everyone said they didn't exist until Babe Erson told me the story. I too almost changed the drive but the wife said NO keep it original. Then the Teleflex Power assist, and Dr. Solas came into the picture and designed us a prop end of story. I have it all. My boat has run into the 70s, will it again, NO. I reduced the power and have a reliable package. Thanks to my Wife it is as original as possible.

mattyboy
10-01-2008, 08:54 AM
Griz
very true, my point of the 300 and 400 hp and v drives was that alot of the knowledge on really how strong the Volvo wasn't known back then, and I would imagine the factory was a lil gun shy after putting the power to the old eatons and having them quit and leave the boat I ran 310 hp thru mine hard for 7 seasons I had one lower fail it was 37 years old I replaced it with a 40 year old lower it is still running and the newer owner if I ran it hard he is doing a lil S&M on her

I would have no problem hooking up a BB to a 250-290 and running 400-500 hp thru it

I have seen a 70 era 18 2+3 updated to a 290 with a helm change to hydraulic steering, the drive has trim the boat still looked era correct not original but era correct

BigGrizzly
10-01-2008, 09:56 AM
Very true Matty, but it also had to due to Warranty issues with the manufactures and current trends of that time period. Anyway I agree with you as usual.

bootdaddy
10-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Drive:
Ok so the consensus would be to keep it exactly as is and upgrade prop from Griz...run it until it breaks, and then either replace drive with same for originality, or go new volvo trim and integrated steering to keep period correct, right?

I will say on my Hornet II the volvo 260 with the Griz prop and drive tab has been money...even with constant power wave jumping and general abuse!

(As an aside, is anybody familiar with DPX drive?)

Engine:
Keep the Cleveland (full stop). Are their any H & M (add on) parts available to bring back towards original?

Cosmetics:
Boat is currently dark purple (from original black) and windshield needs replacing...do I go back to black or work with the purple? Rechrome rub rail or leave the scratches...?

mattyboy
10-01-2008, 10:13 AM
excuse me the skeptical nu yorka coming out have you got a hull number?? or a verification this is a Donzi and not a Cobalt gt500

no rechroming of rub rail you replace with alum or SS new rubrail

BigGrizzly
10-01-2008, 10:32 AM
The Tacho J aluminum was stock and easy to replace the stainless is a bear around the corners and is more trouble then it is worth. I did the smoke from Mario but it was Lexan and needed to buy the sheet so Tom Freeman and I have the smoked ones and love them. We need the Hin because the boat could be a copy, I doubt it, but it could be. In any case leave the drive and make as stock as possible. As for engine mods That is open ended. But Moderation is a key. The engine is a good platform and strong if not bored past .030.

bootdaddy
10-01-2008, 10:42 AM
excuse me the skeptical nu yorka coming out have you got a hull number?? or a verification this is a Donzi and not a Cobalt gt500

no rechroming of rub rail you replace with alum or SS new rubrail

good question...have an emial in and will follow-up with call out to the west coast...only deposit sent so far

bootdaddy
10-01-2008, 11:14 AM
Broker is quite certain it is indeed a Donzi and not Cobalt - and he brought it issue up, not me.

He is getting numbers off the H & M bellhousing and heads now and is after the owner to get number from title - which she suddenly cannot locate in middle of move (how many times have I heard that!).

He says paint looks really great on sides and hump and the gel is original on rest of topside and needs a buff. Not sure if drive is original but thinks it had some service done a while back (maybe reseal) he is checking work orders. Engine was rebuilt by their mechanic 8 years ago and has less than 50 hours on it since...

He said there is not a number on the stern where the post 69's are located and is happy to dig around, but thought it would be easier to get off title...

Any idea where a number may be located?

Morgan's Cloud
10-01-2008, 11:15 AM

If it IS the 'DPX' that your asking about , Tony here on the board has a
Volvo 454/DPX powered 22 that kinda puts to rest the generic statement that the DP unit will cost you speed ....

I have driven a few 502/DPX powered boats and will soon be amassing time on the newset DPS-A unit.

Remember , Volvo was the first to market the twin prop unit and the term "DP" when not used specifically , can refer to all manner of units , many of which you may not be referring to .

The DPX is no longer available new .

bootdaddy
10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
The hull number is C18C24...:yes:

I know the board will let me know if there are any discrepencies...other numbers forthcoming...,

MOP
10-01-2008, 02:09 PM
Griz I have a new very old stock Volvo cone if you need a spare it can go cheap.

mattyboy
10-01-2008, 02:14 PM
The hull number is C18C24...:yes:

I know the board will let me know if there are any discrepencies...other numbers forthcoming...,

that appears to be the correct hull number would have been a 289 HM boat the 351 is not original but the bell housing mught still be original

bootdaddy
10-01-2008, 03:41 PM
that appears to be the correct hull number would have been a 289 HM boat the 351 is not original but the bell housing mught still be original

The numbers on the bell housing are: C3HM-4035-1-RWI/O, and under those numbers are: CPM 360-4V. There is a number stamped into the port head:3-4035.

bootdaddy
10-02-2008, 07:23 AM
The numbers on the bell housing are: C3HM-4035-1-RWI/O, and under those numbers are: CPM 360-4V. There is a number stamped into the port head:3-4035.

ttt...Mattyboy any thoughts on these numbers?

mattyboy
10-02-2008, 08:50 AM
ttt...Mattyboy any thoughts on these numbers?

let's break it down

C3 = 1973
HM = Holman Moody

4 = 351 block

035 = 35 th block built in 1973

1 = standard automobile rotation

RW = raw water cooled

I/O = inboard outboard drive

the cpm 360 4v = 360 hp 4 brrl carb

the other number are just castings to match the engine

so has you can see the engine is an original holman moody but it is not the original power plant put in the boat the boat was built in 68 so it was a 302 most likely

bootdaddy
10-02-2008, 09:00 AM
thx Matty - you da man!

bootdaddy
10-02-2008, 10:14 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIG-Holman-Moody-Mustang-Mach-1-Torino-Donzi-427-428CJ_W0QQitemZ150298483838QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m150298483838&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

vintage jacket...asking big coin...:eek:

mattyboy
10-02-2008, 02:25 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ORIG-Holman-Moody-Mustang-Mach-1-Torino-Donzi-427-428CJ_W0QQitemZ150298483838QQcmdZViewItem?hash=ite m150298483838&_trkparms=72%3A727%7C39%3A1%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p4506.c0.m245

vintage jacket...asking big coin...:eek:

sorry this is big coin !!!!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Don-Aronow-King-of-Thunderboat-Row-by-Aronow-1994_W0QQitemZ290248482628QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p 3286.m20.l1116

glassdave
10-02-2008, 06:46 PM

hey that looks like a pretty cool project ya got there . . . . Corsican huh? . . . . never seen one of those in person:biggrin.:

I am VERY familiar with the DPX. I have to say i think its one of the best drives ever built. True shame it was discontinued, I have a few spares. I am actually thinking about converting my ScarabIII from Bravos to DPX's despite it being no longer avaliable. C Spray on the OSO board has enough parts along with what i have to do it. I am going through my bravo stuff to sell it an see if i can pull this off. Quite honestly i have more faith in the discontinued DPX than the Merc stuff. We have been racing them on the Batboats for years with pretty good success. Cant say we have ever really had any real trouble. They have a really cool shear coupler that keeps the drive "relatively" safe.

bootdaddy
10-02-2008, 07:27 PM
HIN# CRT200141173

Here it is...not sure where they found it. Love to get your breakdown thoughts

mattyboy
10-02-2008, 07:33 PM
ok let's break it down again

this should be on the transom as required by the USCG on any boat built or sold after nov 1972 for the 1973 model year

CRT= the MIC (mfg'r identity code) for Cigarette racing team

20= the model 20 foot cig

014= the 14th hull built

11= nov
73= 1973

bootdaddy
10-02-2008, 07:47 PM
hey that looks like a pretty cool project ya got there . . . . Corsican huh? . . . . never seen one of those in person:biggrin.:

I am VERY familiar with the DPX. I have to say i think its one of the best drives ever built. True shame it was discontinued, I have a few spares. I am actually thinking about converting my ScarabIII from Bravos to DPX's despite it being no longer avaliable. C Spray on the OSO board has enough parts along with what i have to do it. I am going through my bravo stuff to sell it an see if i can pull this off. Quite honestly i have more faith in the discontinued DPX than the Merc stuff. We have been racing them on the Batboats for years with pretty good success. Cant say we have ever really had any real trouble. They have a really cool shear coupler that keeps the drive "relatively" safe.

GlassDave - gonna keep Corsican as close to orig as possible. However, I may consider the DPX for my Hornet II (volvo 280 drive) over the next few seasons as boat will be due for a repower/upgrade...

Will the unit fit my transom assembly, or will I have to use a 290 DP Volvo unit or change intermediate housing, bellhousing , mounts,etc and is the 290 steering fork the same dimension as a 280.

The x dimension should be the same, right?

glassdave
10-02-2008, 08:34 PM
Actually i'm not sure what the crossover is on interchangeability but i was under the impression that the DPX transom assembly was unique, It has the integrated hydraulic steering. They may be similar or at the very least expandable from the 280 hole. the DPX has an opening roughly 12 X 17 and is rectangle so it can encompass most other cut outs. Not sure how close the X dims are but the DPX isnt quite as sensative as the Blackhawk on placement.

joseph m. hahnl
10-03-2008, 01:37 PM
The purple looks great.Not a big believer in outdated performance my self.
Funny thing about boats is, they use all commercial items. Everything other then the hull is made by someone else.It is meaningless weather it has an outdated drive , or a modern performance drive, on saleability. The name Donzi and Corsican are the selling feature. Given the point that a person with the choice of obsolete, to modern drive,would find the old less desirable and it would degrade the value one would be willing to spend. A case in point goes once, again to the legend herself, Mighty Mouse. An X-18 with an engine and drive that is anything but from her Era.
How often have we all dreamed of owning her:worthy:.
With resale value set aside you should really go with what you desire.
No body truly cares if you have a stock drive. They only care that it is looks good, and your boat definitely looks good:cool!:!

joe

mattyboy
10-03-2008, 02:15 PM
The purple looks great.Not a big believer in outdated performance my self.
Funny thing about boats is, they use all commercial items. Everything other then the hull is made by someone else.It is meaningless weather it has an outdated drive , or a modern performance drive, on saleability. The name Donzi and Corsican are the selling feature. Given the point that a person with the choice of obsolete, to modern drive,would find the old less desirable and it would degrade the value one would be willing to spend. A case in point goes once, again to the legend herself, Mighty Mouse. An X-18 with an engine and drive that is anything but from her Era.
How often have we all dreamed of owning her:worthy:.
With resale value set aside you should really go with what you desire.
No body truly cares if you have a stock drive. They only care that it is looks good, and your boat definitely looks good:cool!:!
joe
if we were talking about another standard classic i might agree with Joe
but we are not and i don't the main selling feature of this boat is it is a corsican
the corsican is a limited, antique, historical, era boat and is sought after by a certain market segment, the kind of market that has the cash and wants an un-molested boat, that not only looks good but has the correct equipment on it
any change from originality will not help and in some ways hurt resale value on this boat, now a normal 18 from 68 if it had a bravo or bh or scorp it might be worth more than an original 68 but the corsican is rare and with the new props from griz the volvo can run pretty well, I wonder if Mario if he knew what we know today would have taken the same course back then
and his boat came out awesome
and please when you knuckleheads send me the snippy pm's
there are 2 s's and 3 t's in classic elitetist :tongue:

joseph m. hahnl
10-03-2008, 03:12 PM
i don't the main selling feature of this boat is it is a corsican

the corsican is a limited, antique, historical, era boat and is sought after by a certain market segment, :tongue:

So your saying that the key element for the sale is,"That it is a Corsican".
when trying to sell something ,you never try to entice one type of market.
It needs to be salable to anybody.Otherwise you maybe waiting a long time to sell it. The fact is that it is all in the person who owns it and what he wants. resale is secondary and should be the last thing in making a decision on what a boat should have or not have.
in your theory a corsican with GPS, updated breakers and Updated Gauges would be less desirable and hinder the price. I'm sorry Matty I don't buy that at all. I would agree that to some enthusiast Like you ,it may hinder.But to most, no one would give it any thought. It is the hull style that your selling. "Or rather the deck cover style" .

mattyboy
10-03-2008, 03:55 PM
Joe if you are gonna quote me please don't truncate it, the razz smiley was for the last line not the core of the post.

as i said your point works with a non rare classic
people buy and fall in love with a donzi for many reasons styling performance,mystique and resale values the donzi hold their values very well

Joe, why is it the corsican resale values are higher than a similarly equipped 18??? is it just styling??? or do people want a rare piece of donzi history????
I think you are under playing the movement that is starting especially in the thunderboat row historic race boat world sites like this one and others in performance boats and old race boats are booming the market for older classic boats old race boats is also booming

it is not what is going on in muscle cars but is is happening
the biggest thing in selling is demand the real prices are driven by demand
and you are not paying attention updates to wiring and gauges( with gauges as long as they are era correct) are good things tank replacements are all good updates but sorry an original holman moody volvo corsican ,or a chevy merc trs is worth more than an updated 350 chevy merc combo

there were 57 of these made i think we might know of about one half of them some have probably come to their demise which makes the ones we do know about that more rare

we always bitch about why we have not had the boom of the muscle cars and how an old original 67 copo novas are 5 times what their original sticker price
they are worth that cause they are rare in original form( i bet they were a hell of alot more copo novas built than corsicans ) and well if we keep customizing and retro mod'ing our rare classics we have no one left to blame but ourselves

bootdaddy
10-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Wow...lovely exchange and I can see both sides.

On this particular boat, the rarity and originality mean more to me than gaining an extra 10 or 15 miles per hour (or changing guages or anything other than the props). Now I can take this view because I am doing a cig 20 that is being rebuilt for flat out speed and I have a Hornet II that will may be getting a "modernization" in the next few seasons.

After careful consideration, I do happen to agree with Mattyboy on the market beginning to change for historic, or classic or vintage racing boats and I think I would seriously regret changing anything. I do almost all of my boating in the 1000 Islands where the Antique Boat Muesum has an incredible collection of wood only antiques. I think it is just a matter of time before they and others see the value and interest of glass of similar eras...and I am happy to use and maintain the boat until that day comes... If that day never comes that is OK because I did not buy the Corsican to resell at a profit. I bought it to own a rare classic and keep it from some kind of really terrible bastardization. (That's not to say that updating boats is a bad thing, it's just that in this case I feel it would be diminishing returns in many ways).

It's funny, I thought a long time about the Sportsman resto that I am currently doing and after all is said and done, I decided to make it cosmetically look exactly like the 007 (exception being a small lexan wind screen) and update with new Konrad drives and 625hp Merc engines, use old school guages etc. I was able to obtain a bunch of pictures through CM at HOBRA and my goal is to make this boat the best mix of both old with a touch of new...

Aside:
After looking for a decent St. Lawrence Skiff for about 10 years, I was able to pick 1 up at auction that was 1900s 20' and only needed a restoration (all hardware and wood intact). The place doing the resto (also broker) called me to say they had just got a 1930s 17' in that was perfect ready for the water and did I want to buy it and sell the 20' as they had somebody who wanted to buy my 1st skiff for the resto work. After about a fraction of a second, I said I would take the 17' skiff and keep the original one. These boats don't surface often and apparently the market is flushing them out. Matched pair...why the hell not?!

Thanks to everybody for the input. I hope to have better pics in a few weeks...

bootdaddy
10-03-2008, 09:10 PM
there were 57 of these made i think we might know of about one half of them some have probably come to their demise which makes the ones we do know about that more rare

Mattyboy can you tell me the numbers on the Sportsman...total built and the ones we know in existence?

Thx.

bootdaddy
10-04-2008, 06:49 AM
Aboot 70

Is that 70 number boats made or known in existance?

bootdaddy
10-04-2008, 07:47 AM
I thought I read there were 53 made overall...wonder how may are left...

What are considered the rarest Donzis?

mphatc
10-04-2008, 08:37 AM
Bill S. had what we thought was the last one made with hull number c18 c54, then last year a couple boats showed up in Canada that were apparently built specially for a dealer in Canada after formal Corsican production had ended.

I've not heard of number 57.

Surprisingly there were 50 Cobalt copies built . . so one really has to be careful on hull numbers and clear identification. Cobalt built good boats and they were accurate copies with H&M power with Volvos, so a paint job and Donzi decals can easily mislead.

Mario L.
c18 c32

mattyboy
10-04-2008, 09:30 AM
the number i heard was 57 built from 68 to 76

the rarest donzi are the low production or prototype donzi or raceboat donzi
but then there are the collectible donzi or prized donzi

rare

ob 18
14 baby
benchseat hornet
round bottom barrelback

prized donzi

the lbj ss boats
the first ot last hull of a model
limited or special editions

rare usually are older boats no longer made
prized can be older but usually are newer

bootdaddy
10-04-2008, 10:31 AM
There is an all original 14 baby at my marina and boy would I love to grab that if it ever sold...told marina owner to let me know and do whatever it takes when/if time is right...

Didn't realize bench seat Hornets were rare...there is one that is complete resto I was thinking about grabbing for future project, but plate is literally overflowing...

Ok so 57 or so Coriscans divide by 2 roughly for current boats...

How many Sportsmans built and now known?

mphatc
10-05-2008, 07:49 AM
Bootdaddy,

Somewhere in my Corsican paper work I have a list of existing hull numbers and owners
I need to add yours, I don know if the yellow hot rodded boat that was on Ebay really is a Donzi . and Poodle has a couple of hull numbers that I don't have on my list to add . .

At this point I think we have accounted for about 30 boats! fwiw, back when I bought mine in 2002 all we knew about were 17-18 hulls.

There is a tale that numerous boats were exported to Japan . . but we've never been able to confirm.

Mario L.

bootdaddy
01-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Turns out the purple is too Barney for me.

I am considering a shelby theme - any thoughts?

Or I could go black sides with a light grey "hump" - that is original, yes?

The wife thinks it looks like a bullet so may do a silver theme...:shark:

BigGrizzly
01-13-2009, 09:15 PM
Here is what mine looks like
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53983

glassdave
01-13-2009, 09:41 PM
Here is what mine looks like
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=53983

That blue looks good on the boat i like the white flat horozontal surfaces to. Patrick i think maybe i should send my color book out to you so you can thumb through it again :D

BigGrizzly
01-14-2009, 09:18 AM
Not bad for a roller huh. That is the Interlux two part poly. My first ever paint that wasn't spray cans on a motorcycle gas tank or faring.

glassdave
01-14-2009, 10:04 AM
Looks great! got any other pics or are there any more on the site here? Patricks boat is in pretty nicely preserved condition needing some updating. I'm a huge huge fan of Volvo drives new and old and agree that the 270/280 is a pretty stout unit. I saw somewhere on here that, i think it may have been, mentioned power steering and trim for the older drives. What exactly is available for the 270? Exploring options at this point.

Kirbyvv
01-14-2009, 11:48 AM
I did both those upgrades, power steering and trim on a '78 X-18. Now I couldn't live without them. You'll have to find a used 280T transom assembly, with rams to make the conversion to trim. I just sold one and shipped it off to California. There are alot of options for internal power steering or hydraulic steering.

bootdaddy
01-14-2009, 12:40 PM
I did both those upgrades, power steering and trim on a '78 X-18. Now I couldn't live without them. You'll have to find a used 280T transom assembly, with rams to make the conversion to trim. I just sold one and shipped it off to California. There are alot of options for internal power steering or hydraulic steering.

Thanks for the post Kirby. How much did the 280T sell for and where did you list it, so I can look for a unit? And what is best option in your opinion for steering?

Thanks

-Patrick

Kirbyvv
01-14-2009, 03:10 PM
I posted the 280T here and on Craigs List. The guy that bought it saw it on both places. It sold for $650, complete with trim pumps, braided lines, pretty much everything except some small parts like bushings, pivot bolts, etc. I've seen them pop up on ebay every now and then.
I put in an older used Volvo power steering unit, but Griz put in a new system, teleflex I think I recall. Griz speak up, I can't remember what system you put in.

BigGrizzly
01-14-2009, 04:57 PM
ME I did it a little different then Kirby. I bolted a 290 transom plat on the boat, which was just the middle case put my 270 stuff in it, upper and lower. Now steering is the internal Teleflex hydraulic unit. It mounts in the steering cable bracket. then I added the Teleflex power assist. The price was high but it attaches to the hydraulic in an hour and your done it is electric and there are no pumps or belts to hang off the motor.

glassdave
01-26-2009, 01:57 PM
ME I did it a little different then Kirby. I bolted a 290 transom plat on the boat, which was just the middle case put my 270 stuff in it, upper and lower. Now steering is the internal Teleflex hydraulic unit. It mounts in the steering cable bracket. then I added the Teleflex power assist. The price was high but it attaches to the hydraulic in an hour and your done it is electric and there are no pumps or belts to hang off the motor.

I was just going to inquire about the 290. I located a complete drive and transom assembly that i think can be had reasonably. Would this be a better way to go as opposed to the 280T? So the 270/280 drive will work with this gimbal? Thanks

Patrick the parts at Fisher are, at this time, not very usable. Jon could not locate the trim cylinders and the units he showed me were a DPS and a standard 280 i believe and i could not find any of the trim stuff. At any rate way to much stuff missing and also had a badly busted gimbal hat. Heres a few pics of what he had. The 290 was not at Fishers though.

BigGrizzly
01-26-2009, 08:06 PM
My personnel opinion is it would because it is a cleaner look then the 270T. The 290 has been on my boat since 1993.

glassdave
01-26-2009, 08:40 PM
I agree, definetly cleaner. It was when Volvo started using the studs in the plate rather than those round head carriage bolts. What is interchangeable between them? anything, parts wise? Anything? I like the trim set up much better as well. I assume the cutout is very close, heck the 290's actually just like the one on my DPX. Thanks for the input.

Kirbyvv
01-27-2009, 07:48 AM
I think the 290 looks much cleaner too, without the elephant ears.

BigGrizzly
01-27-2009, 09:47 AM
Dave, everything is interchangeable. I have actually only used the only the transom plate with the hydraulics all the rest is the inners of my 270 unit. The tricky part is two new mounting holes for the studs. You only have to remove about 3/4 of transom on the upper part of the hole and just a shaving on one side to make fit. I made a template of the 270 and the 290 with the input shaft as the center. The 290 covers all the old 270 cutout. The template took a couple of hours. I was working on other projects at the time too. Long story. After that I cut sealed drilled and glassed the transom. I then slid the 290 on. I DID NOT remove or reposition the engine in any way shape or form. After changing the internals and painting the 290 the weekend before. Taking that part out of the equation. I started on Saturday morning about 9 or 10. I drilled, cut, fitted and glassed. BTW without the foot on, I am not as strong as I used to be. I bolted it on and went in for dinner. The next day I hooked up the hydraulic pump to the trim switch and bled the system by moving up and down several times, maybe more-not the fun part. My oldest boy came out and asked what was taking so long :eek::eek::eek: He wishes he did not say that now. I roped him in to go with me to the lake(I did not live there permanently at the time). We got home about 7:30Pm. Wife was furious, we forgot to tell her we were going. I would do it again in a heart beat. If you need more info just call, It may spark some memory.

glassdave
01-27-2009, 12:15 PM
Great stuff, thanks for the info BG. The 290 i looked at was a complete assembly and prety nice but im not sure what gear ratio it is. Do you have a recommendation for that? Are the older ones marked the same way the new ones are, on data plate and stamped on lower bearing retainer? Sounds like a fairly straight forward install. . . . . gotta love Volvo engineers. I often said the easiest job in the world has to be a Merc engineer. Anything they have any success with has been almost a direct rip from some previous Volvo design. :D

BigGrizzly
01-27-2009, 01:10 PM
Dave, Irun what was called the V8 gears I believe it is 166:1 or 163, I can not remember which.

blackboat
02-01-2009, 07:15 PM
I am coming in late on this thread. My last boat was an 18 foot donzi corsican. I reused the holman moody exhaust.Built a new 351 windsor motor. kept the original 270 outdrive. worked flawlessly with external hydraulic steering and nosecone.This drive is known for lots of steering play. External steering fixed this 100%.This boat ran 52 mph when I bought it . I had boat running 68 to70 mph when I sold it. Spinelli Bros. made prop for this boat. These drives take a lot of abuse. Did not break mine for the 5 years or so I owned this boat.The boat ran on rails with external steering. Deep v in this boat cut through waves unbelievable. Sweet ride.You wont be dissappointed.

BigGrizzly
02-02-2009, 10:14 AM
Black boat, how did you do the external hydraulic steering. My internal is also great and handles extremely well. I would change to external only if it were a good setup. I can make almost anything. What parts did you use?

blackboat
02-02-2009, 12:52 PM
Back when I did mine I used a Hynautic steering cylinder with female hymen ends connected to through bolted L angles at transom and fabricated a bracket to fit bolt pattern on top of drive. If you already have internal hydraulic steering you can purchase an add on system by Mayfair,Zieger,Imco,or Marine Machine.The only reason I fabricated mine was these systems were not readily available at that time.I would not recommend anyone to do any fabrication on steering.If you run over 70 mph,you dont want any play in your drive. External steering is only way to go.:nilly:

BigGrizzly
02-02-2009, 12:58 PM
Black boat at this time no one makes a setup for the old Volvo. I have seen your modification before on a yellow classic, I was hoping for a picture. I have power assist teleflex at this point and it is great. I was just looking for the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.