PDA

View Full Version : possible coolant leak during engine tear-down

Zinger
09-29-2008, 04:06 PM
I pressure tested the cooling system with water @14 psi and it held for a while. I then drain the block at the low point drains and removed the intake., the intake had a small amount of antifeeze/ water mixture from some pockets of the manifold. While removing the cylinder heads I noticed in number one cylinder I had about two shot glasses of this mixture. The moter was just rebuilt this season but had some leaking exhaust risers.Hopefully this was just a small pocket that could not be drained. Has anyone ever came across the before. I not sure if just to except that it was left over coolant or should I tear it down and have that cylinder checked out. I have not loss any coolant during the season and the oil still looks like new ,the head gasket is not blown or leaking at this location. suggestions Thanks Jeff

txtaz
09-29-2008, 04:47 PM
I would have guessed head gasket. Get a good screw in type pressure gauge. Remove all plugs and test each cylinder. All cylinders should hold pressure +/- 4 psi....I think. You can look up the spec.

There is only a few places water can get in the cylinder. Head gasket is the best bet.

MOP/Jamie/others, does circ water go through the intake manifold? If so, you may get water through the intake. NOT PRETTY! Hydraulic lock on valves could require a full head rebuild and maybe rod replacement.

Test it, document it and then tear it apart. Find what is causing the leak. Fix it and keep on cruising. You may only need to deck the heads and block.

Da Taz<---Yeah, I build motors in my kitchen...so what's for dinner?

joseph m. hahnl
10-03-2008, 02:50 PM
I pressure tested the cooling system with water @14 psi and it held for a while. I then drain the block at the low point drains and removed the intake., the intake had a small amount of antifreeze/ water mixture from some pockets of the manifold. While removing the cylinder heads I noticed in number one cylinder I had about two shot glasses of this mixture. The moter was just rebuilt this season but had some leaking exhaust risers.Hopefully this was just a small pocket that could not be drained. Has anyone ever came across the before. I not sure if just to except that it was left over coolant or should I tear it down and have that cylinder checked out. I have not loss any coolant during the season and the oil still looks like new ,the head gasket is not blown or leaking at this location. suggestions Thanks Jeff

Is it full cooler or Half cooler? The threads on the head bolts are also supposed to be sealed . It most likely had residual coolant left in it when you removed the head and it leaked down when you broke the head gasket seal or intake seal. The anti freeze in the head and the intake does not easily come out."It is Vacuum Locked"
My 350 mag had sea water trapped in the heads and intake for five yrs.
The Water in the risers can leak back through to the exhaust valves.
But Anti freeze should not be present, as that part of the system is a closed loop.With that much water in the cylinder I would say it was incidental during the tear down and wouldn't worry about it to much.

Hope that puts your mind at ease.

joe