PDA

View Full Version : What's the most economical tow vehicle?

The X Man
09-29-2008, 12:59 PM
I'm looking for a new vehicle that is the most economical to purchase and drive (best mileage), but still need something that can tow an 18. I do alot of highway driving for work so want something that gets the best mileage possible. I only tow my 18 probably 200 miles a year and most of that is 5-20 mile tows. I do have to pull up a pretty good hill (mountain to you Florida folks) to get home. I prefer an SUV type as opposed to a truck. I wish a Subaru outback would work, but....
What do you think?

zelatore
09-29-2008, 01:17 PM
Hmmmm....I see you're in the Northwest, so I can understand your desire to have the Subi....they seem to the the official car of Portland/Seattle.

But it's only rated to 3000lbs towing. With the 4wd, it would be better than most other small wagons at the ramp, but I'd still bet you'd be at or above the limit on what it can handle. Not sure what an 18 weighs or if you have an aluminum or steel trailer, single or double axle, etc.

Normally, I'm the guy who says get the biggest rig you can for towing, but it sounds like you're only going to tow a couple times a year; maybe just to put it in/take it out at the begining/end of the season. In that case, it doesn't make much sense to run out and buy a big half-ton (or more :wink:) truck/SUV.

Perhaps something like the Honda Pilot? Looking at Honda.com I see it's rated at 4500 lbs, but I also see it's only rated at 16/24 epa mileage. Heck, a new 1/2 ton truck can do that if you keep your foot out of it.

I'm not really much of an SUV guy - I can't even name half of them on the market...they're just sort of invisible to me other than a few stand-outs like Jeeps or the FJ and neither of them is a good choice based on your wants. I'm sure somebody else will chime in with some suggestions.

BUIZILLA
09-29-2008, 01:18 PM
Mazda CX7

zelatore
09-29-2008, 01:19 PM
Check that - you're in the NorthEAST.

I don't know squat about the northeast. To me the northeast is all one big blur. For all I know, Subi's could be super popular or they could be hated like gay Nazis up there...

chappy
09-29-2008, 01:24 PM
Mazda CX7

I've got a friend who tows a 17' Four Winns with this, and he SWEARS by it, always braggin' about his mileage when towing. Pretty hilly by us here as well.

glashole
09-29-2008, 01:45 PM
Grand cherokee or volkswagon suv

Kirbyvv
09-29-2008, 02:29 PM
What towing capacity do you need to pull an 18? I'll be in the market for a new vehicle in about a year. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 6 right now. Regular mileage on the highway is only about 18 mpg if I keep it less than 72. Over 72 and I'm down around 17, 16.....

DonziFreak
09-29-2008, 05:26 PM
I get 14-15 MPG towing two boats stacked and a full bed load in a Chevy 3500HD at 75..... :biggrin.:

zelatore
09-29-2008, 07:41 PM
Glenora - buy american? When buying trucks, that's a given. For cars or crossovers or whatever they want to call them now...not so much so.

DonziFreak - sure you get good milage - but those two together can't weigh more than a box of feathers!

X-man - what sort of weight are you towing? Have you ever weighed your full rig (trailer, boat, fuel, gear)?

The Mazda sounded like a possible winner to me, but it's only rated at 16/22 for the awd version, needs premium, and it's only rated to tow 2000 lbs. I'm sure it's more fun to drive than most of the truck-based SUVs, but 2K isn't much at all.

How about the Nissan Murano (or Infinity FX if you've got the coin)? The Nissan VQ 3.5 V6 is a stout motor - rated to tow 3500 lbs (that should cover the 18 I'd think) and gets and EPA 18/23 in AWD. Don't know if it needs premium or not. The only thing I don't like about it is the CVT, but it might grow on me.

mjw930
09-29-2008, 07:53 PM
Mazda CX7

With a 2000lb tow rating I don't imagine he'd be all that happy towing an 18.

I threw together some SUV's on www.edmunds.com. It looks like the Ford Flex or the Chevy Traverse/Saturn Outlook twins win the economy race with 17/24 ratings. They can tow between 4500 - 5200 lbs so you're covered with an '18 and possibly a 22 if you don't have a long way to tow.

zelatore
09-29-2008, 08:00 PM
Wow - I wouldn't have guessed the Flex got that mileage or towed that much.

It's by far the most stylish of the bunch, and it's freakin' huge, so space isn't an issue.

I hear they don't exactly drive well - rather soft and squishy. Of course, my definition of 'well' would be more on the sporting side as opposed to the 'isolated from the road' side, so take that as you will.

Still, it looks really cool.

And it's American - so it will make Glenora happy :)

DonziFreak
09-29-2008, 08:22 PM
DonziFreak - sure you get good milage - but those two together can't weigh more than a box of feathers!

Top boat weighs in at roughly 550 lbs. dry weight without driver and no fuel. Bottom boat weights in at about 1,050 lbs. without driver and no fuel. We always travel with about 5 gallons of fuel in the bottom boat, which is about 2 pounds of fuel per gallon, so and extra 10 pounds, and the trailer itself weighs about....oh.....lets say 1000 lbs. (it's beefy steel)

So....I'm looking at about 2,611 lbs. then add about 500-700 pounds of bed weight (extra parts, motors, drives, props, and roughly 40 gallons of fuel)

Add it all up, and you see I'm doing better than a Ford would :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
09-29-2008, 08:26 PM
I only tow my 18 probably 200 miles a year and most of that is 5-20 mile tows.

With a 2000lb tow rating I don't imagine he'd be all that happy towing an 18. I don't think 5 miles at a time is a big challenge here...:wink:

zelatore
09-29-2008, 08:32 PM
Add it all up, and you see I'm doing better than a Ford would :biggrin.:

Oh, you didn't have to go there....

FWIW, I took my '05 Dodge in for some work at the dealer. They had called me and said if I'll fill out some customer satisfaction form, I would get 20% off on parts or service. OK, fine. It's only got 30K on it but what they heck.

When I got there they coudn't find the paperwork. While they were digging around they made the usual small talk 'how's the truck?' etc. I said it was fine, other than this was the third trip back for the same issue and I although it looks nice and I bought it because it made better power than the Ford at the time, I think I'll be going back to the blue oval next time.

They never did find that paperwork...:biggrin.:

Dr. Dan
09-29-2008, 09:08 PM
:cool!: Zel... you need to switch to decafinated coffee...you're begining to sound like Bryan Tuvell and that can be a serious condition.

As for a moderate Tow Vehicle with decent mileage and safe and capable - I have had 3, 4 Runners, I still have my 1997 and Lizard uses it for her snow car...I put some Air Bags on the back Coils and it is rated for 5000lbs...I used to Tow the 22 with it... not great on long tall highway grades but it had longer wheelbase, it tracked straight and true and the 4 Wheel Drive would climb a Tree...even towing the Boat...(I have stories)...but I digress.

A used 4 Runner is gonna be cheap, if its well taken care of they are a great deal...I get 19 to 21 on hwy not towing and mid teens towing. Our 1997 has 216,000 miles on it... I had a 1993 with 127,000 on it...and my first one was an '87 with 204,000 on it.

They hold their value and have great resale. I know its not American..but its a good little truck. True 4 Wheel when it counts too.

Now I have the 2002 Suburban which I love...it gets mid teens for Towing and high teens for hwy. Its only gettin broken in...with 306,855 miles on it...original 5.3 EFI Motor... its my first Chevy! It owes me nothing... great truck, rides as well as any luxury car and holds 8 peeps comfortable or 3 Fats Guys and 6 Strippers... (ask me how I know this).

Our high mileage Tow Vehicle gets 19 to 22 mpg on the Hwy. I have gotten 16.5 mpg on the flats....but the coolest thing...is after the Lake George Picnic...and leaving the Donzi in Lake George getting some Trailer Tuning done...I made it home on one tank of gas...and its only a 26 gallon tank?

Yep I am talking about the PSD F-250 Harley...the Truck is efficient if nothing else...and it can tow a small municipality! And it commands some respect on the Highways... we like it alot.

Good Luck - :cool!:

Doc of Variable Annuities and Unsecured Securities :worthy:

DonziFreak
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Oh, you didn't have to go there....

But I did go there :biggrin.:

Honestly, I HATE Ford trucks. I have nothing but nightmare stories with em. But Chevy's.....oh boy, now those are trucks! We have five trucks, four are Chevy's (96 Suburban with 192k, 97 Blazer with 199k, 03 Trailblazer with about 123k, and 09 3500HD with 35k) and one Nissan (89 Pathfinder, not sure of the milage without looking).

The Nissan is more dependable than ford in my eyes.....(I'm just a ford hater I guess) but I've just had a bunch of issues with fords before....

Ford;

Fix
Or
Repair
Daily

or

Found
On
Road
Dead

zelatore
09-29-2008, 09:57 PM
Well, since I'm out of coffee and I don't want to totally hijack this thread, I'll simply say I ain't gonna buy me no chebbies no time soon. No Sir, not for me.

If we want to discuss Ford v. Chevy, we'll have to take this to the politics section!

DonziFreak
09-29-2008, 10:02 PM
LOL! I have to say I agree with ya on that one...now....if only someone would start that thread.....:nilly:

Team Jefe
09-29-2008, 10:11 PM
yeah me....no help either. I roll in a Dodge Mega Dually 4X4....not exactly a sublte machine....or any of the things you are looking for.

Mainly, I wanted to say that its the best tow vehicle I have ever had...it can pull a Large municipality, with Danny's Harley Ford (or my former F350) and the Freaks Chebby (or my former 2500HD) both pulliing the other way:biggrin.:

Sorry guys...I just had to say it.

MOP
09-29-2008, 10:46 PM
A Marano does a decent job towing, Tim from Canada has one tows his Minx and loves it. I can drop him a mail for mileage. I have two 4X2 Chevy suburbans a 98 and a 2002 they both get very similar mileage, in town 15-16 20+ Hwy. My son in law has a 2003 Chevy 4X4 he get 9-11 town 15 Hwy. Towing from Long Island up to the 1000 Islands I averaged 13.5, there is a ton on big hills so I think that is darn decent. Another point is on a slick ramp the 2 wheel with posi is a ton better then true 4X4, problem is when the rear wheels are spinning on the goo the front end is hopping like made great way to blow something. I have two buddies that I have had to pull there boats out at low tide which really pizzed them off both have big bruiser 4X4's. I have 4X4's for over 40 years and now would never buy another, though I do sorely miss playing in the woods. If you do go 4X4 try to buy one with the viscous coupling so the differentials can run at different speeds, like I said true 4X4 don't cut it in the goo!

Phil

Lenny
09-29-2008, 11:28 PM
here, we are seeing TONS of these Japanese and otherwise vehicles showing up. They are all gas. Right hand drive. They can carry about 900 pounds or something as payload, towing, no idea. There is a video of one towing a 22-ish foot Chapparell around. It is in the video links somewhere but I can't link it. Just go for a browse. It is a RealPlayer thingy.

The folks with these live just down the road from me. Deneen's dad is buying one for gardening and minimal yard work. I am buying his "real truck". (GMC2500 Extended shortbox, gas, 4x4)

Here is their website. http://www.minitruck.ca/

The deal is, in Japan, you cant drive something more than 15 years old. In Canada, you can't import one of these unless it is 15 years old. PERFECT business oportunity. There are many brands and styles but they are literally showing up everywhere.

It reminds me of Europe and the small stuff there doing big jobs. A Smart car in Europe is big... seriously.

Anyways, at $5500-$9500 bucks and great fuel economy and usefull "sort of" these are cool. They also have a VW Bus look-a-like. http://www.minitruck.ca/sales_details.cfm?prod=30

If you guys in the USA are not already doing this, and your Import Laws allow, I think this would be a good business opportunity for someone.

So, to answer you question, YES, it would tow an 18 and be REALLY CHEAP. I just don't think I would want to drive 3000 miles to Lake George from here in one with my wife and an 18 out back and 700 Billion 18 wheelers passing me.

Team Jefe
09-30-2008, 06:40 AM
Oh, that's just GREAT:confused:.

With all this Serious Weather and the Election...Mad-dog has gone PRACTICAL on us.....What could ever be construed as practical about a Donzi Owner? Obsessive, Meticulous, Impulsive, fiscally irresponsible... these things describe Donzifiles.....Practical? No way.:rolleyes:

So, Once again....I'm no help with the issue of this thread....but, That is VERY stereotypical of a Donzi.net Member too, we hijack threads all the time:biggrin:

BUIZILLA
09-30-2008, 06:53 AM
Enterprise doesn't rent ANYTHING with hitches anymore...

unless it's a weld on hitch on a 24' Freightliner box truck..

gcarter
09-30-2008, 08:08 AM
I'm entrigued with the Flex. It tows 4500#. That would be fine anywhere here in Florida.
I think I've posted this before, but Dollar and Thrifty offer Hemi powered Durangos with 2" receivers.
But they probably don't have them everywhere.

Tim Morris
09-30-2008, 08:55 AM
How about the Nissan Murano (or Infinity FX if you've got the coin)? The Nissan VQ 3.5 V6 is a stout motor - rated to tow 3500 lbs (that should cover the 18 I'd think) and gets and EPA 18/23 in AWD. Don't know if it needs premium or not. The only thing I don't like about it is the CVT, but it might grow on me.

Exactly! This is what I thought back in '03. I've been pulling a Minx with the same Murano ever since. Tandem trailer, probably right on the 3500lbs limit but it works well. I would think the 18' would be a couple of hundred pounds lighter especially if a single axle trailer.

Yes, the CVT is different. Actually slows you down at slow speed approaching a stop; that's the part you might notice. Other than that, the absence of shifting gears is kind of nice. No issues in 85,000 miles.

Tidbart
09-30-2008, 08:59 AM
Perfect for an 18 footer.:yes:

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?p=465669#post465669

handfulz28
09-30-2008, 09:00 AM
Enterprise doesn't rent ANYTHING with hitches anymore...

unless it's a weld on hitch on a 24' Freightliner box truck..

Not true. My brother has rented a brand new 3/4ton Chevy/DMax Crewcab/longbed with the 2.5" receiver...~$60/day. They even offered the larger drawbar.....at $40/day. At another location they have more than one 1/2 ton crew....with tow package.

Just depends on location I suppose.

The X Man
09-30-2008, 09:03 AM
Wow, I'm just looking for a new vehicle, didn't know it was going to be more political than politics. Thanks for the input, especially the spread sheet comparing the vehicles. Subaru Tribeca will pull 3500#'s also. Subaru's are the winter cars of choice in the northeast. My wife has an outback and loves it. Sorry poodle, but renting just doesn't work. When I want to go, I want to tow, now and not worry about a rental. I really don't care much about the mileage while towing. I don't tow much. I'd just like the most economical for regular highway driving, need 4wd or AWD and am loooking to buy new. lot's of input here, so the search begins.
The flex fuel looks interesting, but does anyone know how it works in sub zero weather?

Dr. Dan
09-30-2008, 09:06 AM
:worthy: I don't Fish - "Dog Breath" but thanks for the Spell Check!

Doc A Dootle Doo! :biggrin.:

BUIZILLA
09-30-2008, 09:07 AM
Not true. My brother has rented a brand new 3/4ton Chevy/DMax Crewcab/longbed with the 2.5" receiver...~$60/day. They even offered the larger drawbar.....at $40/day. At another location they have more than one 1/2 ton crew....with tow package.

Just depends on location I suppose. the Enterprise office manager right next door here just did a county wide search for me for the vehicle you described... not one 1/2 ton or 3/4 ton in this county with a hitch, in fact he told me they were FORBIDDEN to rent with a hitch on ANY vehicle whatsoever... curious where you got yours from...

nonetheless, I just 10 minutes ago rented a 2008 Murano for 3 days, the brakes on this thing will throw you through the windshield... unbelievable... no hitch though :rolleyes:

zelatore
09-30-2008, 09:35 AM
My experiences with rentals and towing have been the same: NO.

Liability, I suppose.

A few years ago somebody rear-ended my truck. While it was out being repaired I had to pick up a parts car in with my flat bed. Not a big car - maybe 3500 lbs on the trailer. I insisted they insurance people provide me a truck instead of the crappy sub-compact they wanted to give me. They eventually did get me a 1/2 ton cheby, but with NO HITCH. Luckily it did have a factory bumper hitch mount under a plastic cover. Popped the cover off, stuck a ball on it, made the pick-up, and put it all back stock. It wasn't ideal, but it did the job and I only had to drive about 400 miles round trip so it wasn't too bad.

Although X-man has already pretty much ruled out the mini-trucks, I would say they don't strike me as great tow vehicles for any sort of highway work - short wheelbase.

They are pretty cool looking though. Wasn't that what DW was looking for?

mjw930
09-30-2008, 10:25 AM
The flex fuel looks interesting, but does anyone know how it works in sub zero weather?

The Flex is a model, it may be Flex Fuel but that doesn't mean you have to run E85, it will work fine on regular gas.

All of these offer AWD and if you think you can get by with 3500lbs tow rating then take a look at the Volvo XC70 or V70 AWD. I had a V70R and towed a 2500 lb MC trailer up and down the east coast with no problem at all.

handfulz28
09-30-2008, 12:56 PM
county wide search

We're up in Ft. Lauderdale, wonder if it's a county thing? Not sure if there's a difference, but he rents from the commercial truck branch.

http://www.enterprisetrucks.com/truckDetailsPickup.html

The "car" side seems to be hit or miss whether you end up with a truck/SUV that has the tow package. The branch near me always has Chevy 1/2ton crew cabs; not sure if they're tow equipped. they even have...cough...choke....Toyota Tundras. :boggled: