PDA

View Full Version : 28ZX Chine Walk

G-MAN
09-28-2008, 09:22 PM
We bought a 1999 28ZX about a mounth ago and love
it.
When We feel the need for speed and realy get it going
( 70.5 GPS ) we get chine walk that is a little unnerving.
Do they all do this or is something causing this?
Can anything be done to calm it down?
Thanks for any feedback!

Mr X
09-28-2008, 09:27 PM
Untill you get more seat time and practice.... and learn how to counter steer it so that it does not do it, you might want to lower your trim tabs about 3 marks on the indicator.

Trueser
09-29-2008, 07:21 AM
I agee with Mr X you need alot of seat time. What prop are you running? what numbers are you running the trim and tabs at?

txtaz
09-29-2008, 08:45 AM
A 28 chine walks at 70???? Wow!!!!:confused:

Mr. X and Trueser are correct. These boats take time to get to know and how they handle. Seat time is VERY important before pushing the boat.

However, I am having a hard time believing you had chine walk. Chine walk occurs when almost all of the hull is out of the water. And I do mean ALL. The only thing in contact with the water is the drive and a little bit of hull. Unless you have gobs of power, you have another problem. Plus I don't think a 28 would chine walk until you hit 90+ and you were running light.

I would check the entire steering system for anything loose. If you find corrosion, replace it. There is nothing worse than a steering cable snapping on reverse torque. (Yep, I did it and hit a yacht club). Also lube all fittings. This boat is new to you, treat it as if no maintenance has been done.

There are tons of resources here if you need help with anything from parts to advice.

Da Taz<---Wondering if we should have a monthly periodical like HOG. Would we call it DOG (Donzi Owners Group)

BUIZILLA
09-29-2008, 08:54 AM
do the props turn in or out?

BlownCrewCab
09-29-2008, 09:27 AM
I Too suspect a loose steering system. most likley slop it the tiller arm. have someone move the drive left and right while you watch the connection at the tiller arm in the bilge. with a rebuild it can be eliminated, but it'll never be as nice and tight (and safe) as external Hyd steering..

Z-Man
09-29-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree with Mr. X and Trueser. A little tab along with seat time and you will love your 28ZX more than ever! :drive::smash:

G-Man were you at LOTO and the OSS race this past weekend? Maybe at Dog Days?

glashole
09-29-2008, 12:19 PM
is it a single or twins?

G-MAN
09-29-2008, 05:26 PM
Z-man , yes that was us at oss and dog days.
The boat has twins and external hyd. Stearing.
Running 23 mirage + turning out.
The stearing appears to be tight but never checked it with
the engine running and the hyd.system active.
The boat dosn't has trim indicators but i'm guessing
you mean about 30% down from full up.
What i am calling chine walk is the boat rocking
port to starboard when running fast.
Thanks for the input.

txtaz
09-29-2008, 05:59 PM
Bleed your steering and check for leaks.

I've had bad fittings before and they were a pain to find. Clean everything around fittings before you start, this way you can tell if something is leaking.

Da Taz<---Did I tell you I hit a yatch club from bad steering?

Trueser
09-29-2008, 08:24 PM
My guess is your over trimming the drives. The steering should have no play at all.

What is the trim dial running up to?

At 70 the boat should be running rock solid. What RPM'S are you at?

Plan on attending AOTH should be plenty of 28ZX'S to learn from. check out the events!

G-MAN
09-29-2008, 09:07 PM
I have the drives as far up as they will
go and then backed off a little
getting 5000rpms still have some throttle
havent checked yet if intake butterfly is full open
may be hitting the rev limiter.

Trueser
09-29-2008, 09:48 PM
TO much trim..

FISHIN SUCKS
10-06-2008, 09:34 AM
TO much trim..

Good point! Although, Andre (Z-Man) likes hitting the trailer button as well for more trim to get his top speed.

I agree, get some more seat time, you will enjoy the hell out of it. I need more seat time in ours as well as a lot of running room to dink with it. The lakes we are on are not big enough to really experiment top end unless you know what you are doing right away, hence, more seat time.

I never ran into a yacht club before, but i did stay in a holiday inn express:biggrin.:!

Congratulations on your new ride, she looks great!

tom

G-MAN
10-07-2008, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the input.
My two other boats are a 18 ft bass boat with
a 150 Merc and a 20ft VIP ski boat, I trim these boats
till I get a little porpoise and back off till they plane
smooth ant that will give Me My best speed for conditions.
Found this boat is a diffrent animal the trim guages
are at less than half using the switches used during
running, never get any porpoise. seems top speed is't
affected much by load, on the way to the OSS my Buddy
in his 27 Baja wanted to race, stiil beat him with six people
in My boat a full load of fuel. still got 74 on the spedo.
that is likley 69 mph.
Love the boat :drive:

Z-Man
10-08-2008, 09:27 AM
G-Man

You will eat that water up down there and you will surprise a lot of people. As you get more comfortable with the boat, you will impress yourself on what it can do all within safe measures.

I ran in the Go Chicken Go Poker Run which is a Cig run but was invited since I was in the family. They were all very impressed with the attitude and handling of the boat in a constant 3-4' washboard.

Welcome and Congrats! Are you heading to the Harbor Hop this weekend?