PDA

View Full Version : Is The 27ZR A Flop?

Carl C
09-28-2008, 08:53 PM
Owners please don't be offended but I'm seeing '06 models still at dealers and used ones going really cheap. It seems that the 27ZR is going nowhere. I'm thinking maybe it's because they put the 496HO in most of them and maybe they aren't as good a value as some competing brands. What do you guys think?:confused:

cmbracer
09-29-2008, 03:58 AM
What kind og prices do you see them at??

I'm going to Florida this november,, and am looking on the 27, 35 and 38.
Here in DK, we can't trailer boats over 7000 LBS!
Hence the spread in boats!

regards

Carl C
09-29-2008, 06:22 AM
A slightly used one sold here not long ago for around $60,000 I believe. Call all of the dealers you can and see what you can find. I'd bet that some are motivated to get these older models off the lot as the '09s come in. I thought that the 27ZR was a good deal for an entry level off-shore boat and the single engine will reduce costs. I think it needs more than the 496HO though. I sent you a PM too.

mattyboy
09-29-2008, 07:48 AM
the market is not there most go fast v hull mfg's are out of the under 30
fountain dropped the 27 and 29 fevers
cig came back with the 30 vice for a year or two and is now out of that market
but there are some mfg's who thrived in the 24-28 foot range pantera,kryptonite,sunsation, superboat
I think the flat deck also hurt the 27 as a 26/28zx has more room in the cabin

Donziweasel
09-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Why don't you ask the dealer how many 35ZR's and Classics he is selling. It is the economy. There will be dealer/manufacture casualties this year, big time.

Carl C
09-29-2008, 08:12 AM
Just for an example, if you go to www.pier57.com (http://www.pier57.com) and click on Donzi you will see that they are selling a decent number of Classics and larger ZRs. The 27s are not moving. Scroll down the inventory list and look at the ones that say sold.

VetteLT193
09-29-2008, 09:44 AM
I always found that size to be an odd ball. It's big enough to really want twins, but not quite big enough to support the cost of them.

As stated above it's not just Donzi... another direct comparision is Formula... they dropped the 27 as well.

BUIZILLA
09-29-2008, 10:18 AM
they should have made it a bowrider... that would have sold a LOT more *family friendly* boats...

The Hedgehog
09-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I always found that size to be an odd ball. It's big enough to really want twins, but not quite big enough to support the cost of them.
As stated above it's not just Donzi... another direct comparision is Formula... they dropped the 27 as well.

It will do just fine without twins!

jeddski
09-29-2008, 04:33 PM
I think the fact that the boats are sitting is largely due to the economy. We are trying to sell our 27ZR (not because of anything to do with the boat but we bought a new sailboat) and it has been a slow process.

Personally I like the lines of the ZR over the ZX and a lot of the competition as shown by our decision to buy one. For some the reduced cabin space is an issue. I'm sure everyone will have their own O.02 to add to this one but with the 496HO the ZR runs as fast or damn close to the 28ZX with twins (as long as its not twin scorpions) since the hull is much lighter. Yet you save on fuel and yearly running costs. There is simply no comparision to the 26ZX.
I cannot imagine loading the family into a high performance bowrider... Every few years you read about someone that was riding the bow seat on a walk around cuddy cabin and ends up getting run over by the boat after hitting a wave.

So you get the speed, same money, and the new hull really handles well. Not really sure why the hull didnt take off though. The hull could certainly handle more power and our original plan was to take advantage of the many bolt ons available for the 496 in an attempt to get closer to the 525 without paying the HUGE premium to order the boat with that setup.

The last guess is maybe people just arent familiar with them and therefore prefer the twin engines of the 28 without seeing the difference a hull makes?

So the real reason they sit... who knows?! But if Donzi would build them with the 710hp Ilmor they'd fly off the shelves (literally) :nilly:

cutwater
09-29-2008, 05:04 PM
I think the fact that the boats are sitting is largely due to the economy. We are trying to sell our 27ZR (not because of anything to do with the boat but we bought a new sailboat) and it has been a slow process.

I've seen pictures of Jedd's boat. It's a beauty, and if anyone is interested in it I can say he's a good guy to do business with. Good luck with the sale Jedd.

John

The Hedgehog
09-29-2008, 08:14 PM
Personally I like the lines of the ZR over the ZX and a lot of the competition as shown by our decision to buy one. For some the reduced cabin space is an issue. I'm sure everyone will have their own O.02 to add to this one but with the 496HO the ZR runs as fast or damn close to the 28ZX with twins (as long as its not twin scorpions) since the hull is much lighter. Yet you save on fuel and yearly running costs. There is simply no comparision to the 26ZX.
I cannot imagine loading the family into a high performance bowrider... Every few years you read about someone that was riding the bow seat on a walk around cuddy cabin and ends up getting run over by the boat after hitting a wave.
So you get the speed, same money, and the new hull really handles well. Not really sure why the hull didnt take off though. The hull could certainly handle more power and our original plan was to take advantage of the many bolt ons available for the 496 in an attempt to get closer to the 525 without paying the HUGE premium to order the boat with that setup.
The last guess is maybe people just arent familiar with them and therefore prefer the twin engines of the 28 without seeing the difference a hull makes?
So the real reason they sit... who knows?! But if Donzi would build them with the 710hp Ilmor they'd fly off the shelves (literally) :nilly:

Yes, I have always thought that there was no comparison between the 27ZR and the 26ZX. But then I have yet to see a 27ZR that will run with my 26ZX:pimp:

Of course Tex may prove me wrong in a bad way!

jeddski
09-29-2008, 09:29 PM
John, thanks for the good word!

Hedgehog, I think there are a lot of boats that would have trouble keeping up with an 850...!
My comment was really based on "stock" boat vs stock boat. I'd love to see what the ZR would do with that type of power! Before we bought the sailboat I was really considering selling the power package and getting an Ilmor fitted... I figured a ZR with 710hp from a V10 was the natural progression from the blown 22ZX that we bought from Frank C.

zelatore
09-29-2008, 09:51 PM
Before we bought the sailboat I was really considering selling the power package and getting an Ilmor fitted...

Does anybody else see anything odd about that statement?

Oh well, who am I to say. I've been daydreaming about Florida Bay Coasters recently....

(but only because I can rig one to carry a Donzi :biggrin: )

royalbcat
09-29-2008, 10:05 PM
I love my '07 but you're right, they aren't flying off the lots. Efficiency wise, they are hard to beat though. I put labbed Maximus on mine after I bought it & have a 50mph cruise @ 3600 sipping fuel. Hard to do that with a twin:yes:

PS: I do see a Raylar 525 in it's future though....

osur866
09-30-2008, 02:16 AM
Believe there is a 27 zr in my parents Cove @ LOTO, see him running in and out of the cove alot , never got a chance to chat with him but very nice looking and running boat. Don't know what he has in it but it does sound healty, did they offer the 500 or 525 in the 27 zr? Or he may have a huffer on for all I know, but nice running boat./ Steve

royalbcat
09-30-2008, 07:21 AM
525 was a pricey option ($25k+ if I remember right).
J

jeddski
09-30-2008, 09:20 AM
As mentioned the 525 was an option, my spec sheet shows it as a $27k option though. The premium never seemed worth it as 27k is more than enough to build a monster out of the 496HO or would be enough to sell the 496 and replace it with the Ilmor... (Still dreaming about that one)

I forgot who mentioned the sailboat but it is at least a "fast" sailboat. Sort of the Donzi of the sailing community, although it just doesnt make the same Donzi noises though!

The efficency of the light weight hull is amazing. Everyone always comments at the fuel dock about "how much gas that thing must burn". 20 gal is usually enough to cruise around for the afternoon.

VetteLT193
09-30-2008, 10:21 AM
It will do just fine without twins!

Don't get me wrong, I don't mean that it runs poorly or anything like that. I'd have to assume it actually runs better with a single BB than a pair of SB's.

But... it's a boat that is big enough to really take you places. You can really run offshore and run far. With that kind of running it is nice to have a safety net of an extra engine to get you home.

Carl C
09-30-2008, 10:24 AM
I'm thinking something like a 700 SCI...........:nilly::nilly:

mattyboy
09-30-2008, 10:35 AM
I forgot that formula dumped their 27 too it is a funny market you are right at a break point someone looking for a bigger classic the jump to a 27 is kinda big and the person looking for a true entry level off shore go fast is looking at a 28-30 footer with twins I think they missed the mark a 23-25zr built well with no real ammenities just pads in a v berth and a 496ho or hp 500 option would have found some buyers that normally would not have gone donzi mainly the 25 baja outlaw and pantera , superboat 24 crowd

royalbcat
09-30-2008, 02:06 PM
I think they missed the mark a 23-25zr built well with no real ammenities just pads in a v berth and a 496ho or hp 500 option would have found some buyers that normally would not have gone donzi mainly the 25 baja outlaw and pantera , superboat 24 crowd
Agreed. I had 3 classics(18' & 2-22') before this boat. I wanted exactly what you are saying. Something with a small cabin to overnight with the kiddo occasionally. Actually considered trying to do something on the last 22' up front but it would have been REALLY tight + my buddy was a dealer & made me a great deal on the baby ZR. They really are great boats but Donzi hasn't really spent much time/$$ marketing them:confused:

Shanghied Again
09-30-2008, 04:15 PM
The biggest problem is not the boat. The Donzi 27ZR is one of the best running boats for her size. The 496 is not the issue the boat runs in the 70s with that engine. In 2006 Baja 25 Outlaws 95% had 496s and was one of the hottest selling boats in 2007 the boating industry suffered very heavy 30 25 Outlaws were sold in 2006 in NJ and in 2007 only 2 26 Outlaws that were selling for almost the same price as 2006. The Donzi 27ZR in 2006 when first introduced I sold 3 right out of the pocket in 2007 it took over 6 months to sell 1. The signs of the times gasoline hits an all time high, the person that can afford the 65,000-90,000 boat can't afford to buy a boat. His drive to work has increased 3 times, his Mortgage on his house that he took a Fanie May or a 5 year inflate went from $700 Month to $3,500 month. I have had 56 failures in credit last year from people trying to buy boats. Banks got harder they don't even look at a person with less then a 7 or better credit score. They also now look at Det to Credit Ratio.. You may have a 8.5 Credit score but if your dept is to high that ends that loan. Also 10-20% down dosen't work anymore Banks want more down. I feel for the boating industry right now its getting worst. The person that makes less then 100K a year the boating dream is just that a dream. Donzi makes a beautiful boat and the 27ZR outways the 26ZX in many ways. She handles better, Faster with the same power, Kevalar layup, Flys over the rough stuff. Jed Skibo and my Wife can tell you that first hand. When we delivered Jeds boat it had to be the worst conditions possible and we still ran over 60 mph with 2-3ft chop under us. A Baja Outlaw wanted to play with us "We Dusted Him Off" My wife even commented how much better this boat ran then our 26ZX. Its time the Goverment woke up and got the economy back on track so middle class people can buy toys again.

royalbcat
09-30-2008, 04:31 PM
Frank,
Very valid points. We were just discussing this today @ lunch. Several of us club race Porsches. I have two buddies trying to sell cars in the $ 30k-$40k range. They aren't selling yet Porsche cup cars that several other friends run are trading hands no problem for between $ 70k-$180k. The guy with deep pockets buying the larger boats isn't anywhere near as affected by what's going on economically as us regular guys trying to enjoy our hobbies:frown:

The Hedgehog
09-30-2008, 04:43 PM
John, thanks for the good word!
Hedgehog, I think there are a lot of boats that would have trouble keeping up with an 850...!
My comment was really based on "stock" boat vs stock boat. I'd love to see what the ZR would do with that type of power! Before we bought the sailboat I was really considering selling the power package and getting an Ilmor fitted... I figured a ZR with 710hp from a V10 was the natural progression from the blown 22ZX that we bought from Frank C.

I would love to see the 27ZR with big power. I love the lines of that boat. Being a lower boat, it should respond well if it does not get too light in the stern.

It is only a matter of time before Tex gets ahold of one....:pimp:

Lenny
09-30-2008, 05:05 PM
Its time the Goverment woke up and got the economy back on track so middle class people can buy toys again.

You still have a "middle class" ?

We don't. :confused:

Donziweasel
09-30-2008, 05:18 PM
The middle class is extinct.

Carl C
09-30-2008, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the input, Frank