PDA

View Full Version : There is a Volkswagen in my basement!

MOP
09-28-2008, 05:14 PM
Well not really but that is what a friend called when he came by to see it, a blue beetle. We bit the bullet and went with a Buderus Blue Flame with Logimatic controller, it is suppose to save us a lot of $$ on fuel oil. It does live up to its Blue Flame name, looking through the sight glass it has a pure blue extremely clean flame looks like a gas flame. Hoping it pans out to be all they say it is!!!

MOP
01-29-2011, 05:58 AM
Dug up this old post to report the results, we decided to dig out old oil receipts to see how we were doing. We compared two nearly identical periods with feel were similar weather cycles, from July 07 to Jan 08 we burned 385 gallons of oil. Comparing that to this past July to this last delivery a week ago we used 273 gallons, the Buderus setup is delivering far better results than I expected. Fabulous unit great savings I wholeheartedly recommend to anyone if you need a boiler dig deep and go to a Buderus, we are glad the oil cast iron one with the Becket gun is gone!

Barry Eller
01-29-2011, 06:49 AM
it has that "Art Deco" look...the "Blue Flame Six" was the first Corvette's engine...

MOP
01-29-2011, 05:19 PM
I had one of those had to have a UniSync for the three carbs and the Power Slide sucked!

Ed Donnelly
01-30-2011, 10:29 AM
Phil; Just set up and analized 3 Buderus Logano Plus SB735
4 million b.t.u.h. each.. Nice boilers but don't care for the RIELLO
burners, as, they are just copies of the Weishaupt.....Ed

P.S. I don't see a backflo preventor on your make up water line..
I also don't see a bypass valve on the make up water in case your reg fails

Just saying........................Ed

Marlin275
01-30-2011, 11:17 AM
We just switched to natural gas heat
it is one third the price of oil . . .
No more delivery issues!

DAULEY
01-31-2011, 06:46 PM
is unit capable making hot water also with 1 more zone if so that would even save you more

MOP
01-31-2011, 08:38 PM
is unit capable making hot water also with 1 more zone if so that would even save you more

Yes that is our next investment, we have an header for a circ pump for the remote tank. They say will we save about 20% more eliminating the second oil fired one we have now, our current W/H is 40 gal with a Becket gun about 10 years old.

MOP
07-06-2013, 07:05 AM
On going saga! I did have a hot water unit installed awhile back, figured we are done now with a great unit. When we first had the Buderus installed we got our usage record from our supplier, we used an average of 1200 gallons a year. This last year we used just over 750 gallons, without doubt this has to be one of the best investments we have ever made. Saving a little over 450 gallons a year it has more than paid for its self, do the math it will convince anyone to swap when the time comes.

gcarter
07-06-2013, 09:50 AM
I agree w/Chad about natural gas. It's cheap and will be getting cheaper in NY once Albany gets their thumbs out of their nether parts and allows fracking in their state.
I grew up in Texas where, in the '60'd, '70's, and '80's, builders and developers were advertising "All Gas" homes and neighborhoods.
I lived in one for awhile. The stove, oven, WH, heat, and AC were all gas. Today, there'd be a permanently sited gen set there too.
I thought everything worked well, but the AC, which is Ammonia based, instead of Freon, was a little slow to recover.

Here in Florida, not all that many homes are hooked up to a gas main, so my efforts to economize were a little limited.
My original AC (heat pump) (1994) had a SEER rating of 8 which was pretty normal and not all that efficient, but I did have a heat recovery unit that heated water from Freon heat at a point before the condenser. It worked well and my electric WH stayed off for about 8 months of the year.
In '07, I replaced the AC w/a top of the line Carrier heat pump w/a SEER rating of 19. The controls for the new AC didn't allow for a heat recovery system, so I invested in a 50 gallon Heat Pump WH. It's pretty neat and the combination of the two have reduced my electric bills back to '94 levels. As a bonus, when the WH is running, it lowers the temperature in the garage by about 8*-10* and the humidity by about 10%.

dsparis
07-06-2013, 10:07 AM
gcarter, we have a house in Homosassa. Theres rolls of what appears to be gas lines along the side of 19. Hopefully its coming our way.

http://suwanneedemocrat.com/local/x405444684/Gas-transmission-line-proposed

gcarter
07-06-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm glad to see this. I hope it is widely utilized.

Conquistador_del_mar
07-06-2013, 12:06 PM
Along the theme of energy saving appliances, I replaced the 1993 4 ton Goodman AC in my 2300sq ft home with a 5 ton Trane XL-14 in 2007 and also added about 8" of blown insulation in the attic - best investment I have made at my home. The Trane does not have to work very hard like the older system did. I don't raise or lower the thermostat during the day so my house stays a constant 73/74 degrees all year long. Between the natural gas heat (part of the new Trane system) and the electric to run my home, my combined gas (heat and water heater) and electric bills average to almost exactly $200/month here in north Texas - even last year when we hit 100+ degrees for weeks on end. Bill