PDA

View Full Version : Live and learn....

superhatz
09-27-2008, 04:31 PM
I guess I didn't have the wood sealed well enough. I'm bummed.

So, if I strip the varnish and bleach the wood.....stain again. What kind of modern product should I use? Poodle said something about West System?

I'm all ears. Help.......:banghead:

MOP
09-28-2008, 10:22 AM
The Fuzzy One is spot on, but I think you may have a problem with decent penetration. I would get the one of the West techs on the phone to get his thoughts.

superhatz
09-28-2008, 02:50 PM
Thanks guys......the wood is 6mm thick but only the top 1.5mm is actually mahogany. The base is some sort of dense particle board maybe?

I'm hoping it doesn't de-laminate.

Conquistador_del_mar
10-03-2008, 03:13 AM
I guess I didn't have the wood sealed well enough. I'm bummed.

So, if I strip the varnish and bleach the wood.....stain again. What kind of modern product should I use? Poodle said something about West System?

I'm all ears. Help.......:banghead:

Aaron,
Looking closely at your picture, is it possible that the water penetration was at the screw holes instead of from underneath or the sides? Bill

superhatz
10-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Aaron,
Looking closely at your picture, is it possible that the water penetration was at the screw holes instead of from underneath or the sides? Bill

You can see on the edge where the varnish is kind of peeled up.....but yeah, the screw holes probably suck too.

I'm going to strip it this winter and spray a modern product on.....do you think I'll have any trouble with that, or has the varnish soaked in too far?

Conquistador_del_mar
10-03-2008, 11:53 PM
You can see on the edge where the varnish is kind of peeled up.....but yeah, the screw holes probably suck too.

I'm going to strip it this winter and spray a modern product on.....do you think I'll have any trouble with that, or has the varnish soaked in too far?

If it were mine, I think I would take the piece off to let it dry for a period of time and see if the darkened water stain disappears after possibly sanding it back a little. Since it is a thin veneer, you risk sanding right through it like I did on one of my Jaguar dash pieces - then you are SOL. If you can get it to dry out and the stain diappears, you can apply any suitable clear back on it to protect it. I know - not much help - more like hope. If you have to sand it back to the veneer, you should be able to only do the areas that are water stained - the rest will be ready for the new clear after a suitable sanding. This approach would be like a spot repair in painting. Actually, if you do the spot repair approach, be sure to use the original type clear for the seal coat or you risk a different look from a different penetration and hardening. Make any sense? Bill

Conquistador_del_mar
10-04-2008, 12:03 AM

By the way, I was surprised when I measured that piece on my Magnum project boat - 10' long rules out anything 4'X8'. That is a large piece. Bill

superhatz
10-04-2008, 12:15 AM
By the way, I was surprised when I measured that piece on my Magnum project boat - 10' long rules out anything 4'X8'. That is a large piece. Bill

Yep....it was a little hard to find.....and kind of spendy.

Thanks Bill!

onesubdrvr
10-04-2008, 12:04 PM

It's not the easiest to find, but 4X12 marine ply can be found, if I dig up a place, I'll let you know (1/4" 5 ply if memory serves me right)

Wayne

smidgen too
10-04-2008, 05:51 PM

Aaron what did Jeff use on his deck, and is he having the same problem ????

superhatz
10-04-2008, 09:53 PM
Aaron what did Jeff use on his deck, and is he having the same problem ????

Part of the problem is my tarp tore in half so the boat sat in a few rain storms.....Jeff has a better tarp apparently......or maybe he's just better at installing wood.

:nilly:

mphatc
10-05-2008, 08:11 AM
An alternative thought . . . seel the boat . . :yes:

or you might consider an installation that does not screw down, with a lamination of veneer to a solid composite . . then permanently seal the veneer with a clear west epoxy, laminate it to the deck and seal the edges with a white marine sealant.

Then sell the boat, saving someone else from doing the work! :wink:

Mario L.

HallJ
10-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Aaron,

Cut your losses. Put the gray mat back on the deck. Paint the boat four different florescent colors, apply a minimum of twelve cigarette stickers(really big ones) and sell it for 70 grand:wink:.

Jeff

smidgen too
10-05-2008, 02:08 PM
Aaron,

Cut your losses. Put the gray mat back on the deck. Paint the boat four different florescent colors, apply a minimum of twelve cigarette stickers(really big ones) and sell it for 70 grand:wink:.

Jeff
Jeff is it snowing yet !! :biggrin.:

HallJ
10-05-2008, 07:48 PM
Jeff is it snowing yet !! :biggrin.:

Not yet. I hope it holds off for a while. I've got two boats to winterize!
I'll try to get your props,tapes and DVD's out this week.

Jeff

smidgen too
10-05-2008, 10:37 PM
Not yet. I hope it holds off for a while. I've got two boats to winterize!
I'll try to get your props,tapes and DVD's out this week.

Jeff
I don't think I will need the props any time soon !!!! Did you watch all the tapes ?

Craig S
10-06-2008, 08:51 AM
Smith's Penetrating Epoxy after the stain...before the varnish?

superhatz
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Smith's Penetrating Epoxy after the stain...before the varnish?

Elaborate please.....:)

mike o
10-20-2008, 06:58 PM
I use mas epoxy in my shop... I think it is the best, They have several slow -fast hardners that all are yellow so the dont change the color of the resin much. If it were me. Try to sand out all the water stains out.... If you heat the epoxy resin... it will get real thin and will seal much better and use the slowest hardner. I would drill out the screw holes bigger so they will seal with the epoxy also. The finish washer will still hide the oversized holes. do this 2-3 times, sanding with 600 between coats of epoxy. Then sand with 600 and varnish or algrip clearcoat it. Looks like water got in through the water puddlind in the edges and screw holes . When installing the screws, drill a pilot hole with a smaller drill bit than the screw so the hole is still coated with plenty of epoxy... good luck.:biggrin.:

HallJ
11-02-2008, 01:45 PM
Still lookin' good Aaron!

superhatz
11-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Still lookin' good Aaron!

Thanks for rubbing it in man.....I'm not loosing that much sleep lately......:nilly:

No seriously....yer a dik.