PDA

View Full Version : 1967/68 Donzi 18 Barrel Back!

Donzi Racer
09-26-2008, 11:01 PM
Well here we go with a wonderful opportunity to twist an antique boat key & VROOM sounds the early 289 Holman Moody motor & take off in a 40 year old original Classic Donzi Barrel Back 18 foot beauty. Amazing is a word we hear often describing this classic Muscle Boat. Been around these early Donzi's for many many years and I have just not seen original unmolested examples like this one. The original components include almost everything that you see on this one. The gel, steering, guages, motor, outdrive, and hardware all look to be the original 40 year old goodies. The motor sings like a sewing machine. It also has a lot of the original Holman Moody components still attached. The outdrive is a smooth running Volvo and driving this dream machine is almost like driving one right out of the factory 40 years ago. The condition of the entire boat is not show room, but is so sweet considering the age. When I close my eyes, I can imagine it sitting in a 2009 Donzi Show Room as a main topic of conversation. ((( Yes sir, this is a very good indication of how these little classics hold up over decades of use, so you can rest assured that you will have very many years of enjoyment with your 2009 Donzi purchase!))) Anyone need any commercials written? ha ha

This one is ready to enjoy, has the original cockpit cover and a newer one with the zipper that un-does just the drivers seat for enjoying some cooler runs. There is a very nice trailer included that is ready to go. We have fresh teleflex guages that come with it, the interior could be updated although we do have good useable buckets and the rear seat is still workable also. This boat is definitely OLD SCHOOL, power tilt but not trim, original cable steering, early series deep V hull. The exhaust have been customized to keep it quite at idle with the exhaust going into the water until the Classic comes out of the water and then you hear the most wonderful purr of the Holman Moody 289 cu in motor just cruising along at which you will be smiling ear to ear. We also include the original exhaust pipes that come straight out instead of angle down for the muffled noise at idle. Comes with an original volvo prop but we also have a very rare volvo stainless Ultra prop for better performance. As far as speed, we will be able to be a little more accurate after some more testing with the ultra prop, but she feels like around 50-60 mph depending on prop, outdrive angle, and of course water condition.

The gel coat on this one is 40 years old and we have been working on cleaning & buffing it up for a nice looking finish but there are the usual stress lines that you will find in the old gels. There is also bottom hull paint that was done very well and keeps the bad stuff off the hull. It could be removed but the color is not bad and it does not bother me so I left it. The entire hull still looks wonderful and definitely not 40 to 41 years old. This classic was completed between November to December 1967. The hull # is 18-197 which I am told is the 197th 18 Classic made. There is still the label showing that in the transom. We have also been running the boat and getting the motor running smooth and clear. We believe we have it just about right. She is very impressive.

The reason we are listing this beauty now, instead of later ,is we are wanted to show it as we are finishing the final touches. Finishing touches we want to update are the metal trim around the side could use replacing, some of the gauges need to be replaced but we are doing those with teleflex original style ones, & some updating on the interior. Remember it is over 40 years old but seems to completely surprise everyone that sees it, when we tell them the age.

Finally after having 2 other Donzi Barrel Backs in this age range in the last few years, they were very modified and lots of fun, but WOW, this original one is a absolute BLAST to operate, & really a trip back into boating history. It is so hard to believe this was available like this so long ago. I definitely understand how I am always hearing so many Donzi enthusiast saying they use to admire them as they roared past when they were youngsters. Well, here is your opportunity to reach in your pocket and instantly bring back your YOUTH!

Completely finished & in the Spring, we were planning on offering this example for $15,000 to $16,000. As we are finishing the ole girl, we are offering a SALE Price of $12,500 which of course I feel is an absolute bargain for such a memorable muscle boat classic. Although we wanted to bring the boat down for the Donzi Homecoming event Oct. 3rd to 5th 2008, we are not able to get it down from Knoxville, Tenn. but it will be coming to Florida soon for anyone that wants to take a look or drive.

Thanks for looking and if there are any questions or anyone needs info about arangements to see it, email me at mishunaire@aol.com. TOM -Just a Racin

Donzi Vol
09-27-2008, 09:55 PM
Well a friend of mine was up for the weekend, and I just had to take him for a ride in the little blue Donzi. When I cranked her up he just said, "Oh wow!"

Donzi Racer has pretty much given you all the details, but I will throw in my two cents (did you really think I wouldn't?:wink:). What I really like about this boat is that it's a wonderful cruising boat. I'm not sure if it's the bottom paint that makes it ride so well, or if it's just the fact that the weight is all stock. Either way, it's a joy to drive. And as many of you already know, it turns plenty of heads at the boat ramp and marina. I can't tell you how many times I've heard, "Hey, what year is that?!" in the month and a half that I've had it.

Like Racer said, I've been doing some cleaning and polishing on it, and she'll be sparkling at the Gathering. That would be a great time to come take a look at it!

I've attached a couple pictures that I took today. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to post, or send me a PM.

All the best,
David

bootdaddy
09-28-2008, 07:19 PM
As usual, I am a bit confused...

Is the boat for sale and what are you asking? Does it include a trailer?

Thanks

Donzi Racer
09-28-2008, 09:26 PM
As usual, I am a bit confused...

Is the boat for sale and what are you asking? Does it include a trailer?

Thanks

So sorry for the dissertation, but I write & talk like that, LONG WINDED! Some people say I have someone like Paul Harvey in my background. Anyway this Original Donzi Barrel Back boat is for sale, sale price being $12,500. It includes a very nice cond. single axle trailer, in the pics, and tows great. It will be in Destin from this coming Thursday to Sunday at the Donzi Event there. Email me at mishunaire@aol.com for any other info you may need, Tom

BlownCrewCab
09-29-2008, 12:43 PM
I Have had the pleasure to spend the day on the lake on this boat, it runs and looks great! Hate to see Tom get rid of it, but it's always interesting to see what he'll buy next. I think he single handedly flooded the 18 donzi market with all the ones he's bought and fixed up, Good job Tom:worthy:

RedDog
09-29-2008, 02:15 PM
This boat turned a lot of heads and gathered second looks when DonziVol joined the Vol Navy in it weekend before last.

Donzi Vol
10-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Just a little reminder that she's still for sale. Sorry we didn't get her down to Destin.

And thanks for the kind words, RedDog. I meant to ask you if you got any good pics from that little adventure.

All the best

Donzi Vol
11-15-2008, 07:39 PM
bump, set, who will spike?:wink:

Donzi Racer
11-22-2008, 08:20 PM
Just a quick note to say this Barrel Back has arrived in middle east part of Florida & will be here for awhile. We are dang near 30 mins from everywhere in this part of the state. That includes, Orlando, Daytona, Cocoa, & Melbourne. Anyone want a ride, I am having a fit to put her in the water and go cruising. She is a fresh water boat, and Oh so pretty. Ya'll come! Tom

Donzi Racer
12-20-2008, 11:18 PM
SOLD!

We have recieved a Deposit on the BARREL BACK. New owners picking her up in January. Will miss her. Now for # 13. hahahahahahahah Tom

Tom Smith
01-08-2009, 03:16 PM
I am the lucky guy this dream boat was sold to. Have been wanting an early Donzi since first seeing one in NY on Lake George back in the early 70s. My family vacationed there ( dad went fishing and we froze our butts off in the cold water) when I was a kid and I eventually owned a vacation home just north of there for 20 years. All I remember about that boat was that it was red and white, sounded great, had a rounded transom not unlike an old Chris Craft, and it went like stink. It was love at first sight. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would come across one in such pristine original condition. Just had a hitch put on my new Dodge van and will be heading south from New Bern NC to meet Tom in Titusville Florida to pick it up in a week or two. Can't wait. The Neuse River here in NC will never be the same. Tom Smith

BlownCrewCab
01-08-2009, 04:17 PM
Welcome Tom. I Have been in that boat, Even givin it a good once over myself. it truely is a sweet boat, very original. Runs great.. Enjoy...

Donzi Vol
01-08-2009, 04:53 PM
Tom, welcome to the board and the world of Donzi's! Your new Barrel Back is truly a piece to treasure. If you have any questions about it, feel free to ask as it was with me in TN for about 6 weeks. PM me anytime. And you can thank BlownCrewCab for the nice little rumble she makes :wink:. And by all means, you MUST share your adventures with us here on the board!!

All the best,
David

Tom Smith
01-15-2009, 11:22 AM
I will keep you posted as to it's adventures. It will be kept at my home in Fairfield Harbour, New Bern, NC. The Neus River is at my doorstep, and the Trent River converges with the Neus up river a few miles, so we have plenty of places to explore. East of here, down the Neus, is the Pamlico Sound if I want some big water to play in. We meet Donzi Racer on the 30th to pick up the boat. Can't wait. Tom

silverghost
08-18-2009, 02:59 PM
TOM:
I would have bought this great original 18 in a heartbeat!
Sadly I am several months too late!
Find me another one like this!
OR: one that I can restore !
Congrats to her new proud owner!
BRAD HUNTER

Just Say N20
08-18-2009, 03:54 PM
TOM:
I would have bought this great original 18 in a heartbeat!
Sadly I am several months too late!
Find me another one like this!
OR: one that I can restore !
Congrats to her new proud owner!
BRAD HUNTER

See here. . . .

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57598

Or here. . . .

http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=55507

Donzi Racer
08-18-2009, 09:29 PM
We have one that is all perfectly like new, not original but like a new penny. 1968 & looks like it is staying a while inthe collection. Then there is a triple hatch w/holman moody 289 needing rebuild and 1 same engine that was supposed to be running when we got it a few months back. We are at the point with it that all the stringers have been strengthened and the transom is new, and the engine is getting ready to go in soon. I have plans to have it as orignal looking as possible. Want it coca cola red with a white stripe. White seats with red piping. I have pics somewhere. I am going to send you those and the yellow Grumble green one also.

Tom Smith
08-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the kudos Brad. She really is a beauty, and runs like a swiss watch. It now sports all new upholstery, new Petit Vivid Blue bottom paint and is about to go in for a topside paint job. I really wanted to keep it original with the original gelcoat but it was so porous I couldn't keep it clean. After being on the water for a week it took me two hours to power wash the deck clean, and we live in a distant comunity on the water with few cars around to kick up any dust. Hell, we don't have a dirt road for 8 miles, but it still got dirty and all streaked. So, a paint similar to Imron is goin on and then clear coat over that with UV inhibitor in it to keep it all nice and shiny. Next year the inner tub and sides will get done. She is all stripped now and going in next Tuesday for the topside overhaul. Can't wait to get her back together. The weather should be cooling down now here in NC so boating will be much better than it was this summer in all that heat and humidity. I'll post pictures when the paint job is done and she is all back together. Also just added a new Morse MV2 shifter. The original shifter was worn out and I could never safely find neutral. She is good to go now. These pictures were take on my maiden voyage. Howard O was kind enough to drive his 22' Donzi down river 8 miles to give me moral support. It ran great in spite of the heavy chop. Tom

staarrl
09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
Brad,
Call me if you are still looking. 289 Holman Moody, Green with Red Stripe, Volvo drive, trailer, all original but needs restoring. Runs fine.
Bob 610-745-6727

staarrl
10-01-2009, 12:03 AM
Here are some pics.
Bob