PDA

View Full Version : Converting to CNG

gcarter
09-26-2008, 08:26 PM
Since sometime last week someone mentioned CNG conversions. While waiting for the debate to start, I've been doing a Google search on conversions. Really, information is pretty thin. There's one sight that keeps coming up over and over is CNGNow. It's a philosophy driven site pushing the Pickens Plan. It does list four companies that do conversions to truck fleets. This seems to be a technology that's a bit thin on the ground. Not many shops do the work, and of course fuel availability would be a concern.
Also, most all of the conversions ore for trucks, no cars.
I did find this kit for sale on eBay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330274361608&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us
It seems to be resonably priced but it's just some of the hardware. It calls for a tank good for 3500 psi....maybe this isn't something the average mechanic should do.....

BUIZILLA
09-26-2008, 08:30 PM
there's a new company down here doing back-end hydrogen piggyback kits..

first reviews are interesting..

30-40% mileage improvement...

Sterling offers a factory packaged CNG setup on new trucks

Donzi Racer
09-26-2008, 11:21 PM
Since sometime last week someone mentioned CNG conversions. While waiting for the debate to start, I've been doing a Google search on conversions. Really, information is pretty thin. There's one sight that keeps coming up over and over is CNGNow. It's a philosophy driven site pushing the Pickens Plan. It does list four companies that do conversions to truck fleets. This seems to be a technology that's a bit thin on the ground. Not many shops do the work, and of course fuel availability would be a concern.
Also, most all of the conversions ore for trucks, no cars.
I did find this kit for sale on eBay;
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330274361608&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:Watchlink:middle:us
It seems to be resonably priced but it's just some of the hardware. It calls for a tank good for 3500 psi....maybe this isn't something the average mechanic should do.....

Did a bit of searching on the CNG a few weeks ago and was amazed at the lack of info on the subject. I did see where most of the Auto manufacturers were getting tons of calls and interest on whether they would be coming out with cars that used CNG. The Pickens plan seems to be picking up some speed and I cannot believe that the Honda CNG vehicle only is selling like 1100 units a year. I think I have that figure right. I was also amazed to see that there was only one station listed in Florida for refueling and that was in Miami area. Seems that prices were under a buck a gallon out west and with a 8 gallon tank, it would be nice to fill up for under $10 instead of the $70 it is costing us. I don't know about you Jim, but we have not moved our coach since we last saw you. I just cannot see $5 a gallon and 7.5 mpg. I now have a really expensive stationary trailer, instead of a Motor Coach. At least it feels like that.
George, there is a new bank opening soon in Mt Dora area called The Green Bank and it seems their commitment is to try and help out Businesses with Green Theme ideas. Well, I say lets just get a few CNG stations opened up in the Orlando-Daytona area. It has to be coming. Just thinking out loud. The CNG seemed to be a good concept to me. Just really surprised it has not taken off sooner. Tom

handfulz28
09-27-2008, 07:59 AM
How much energy does CNG provide compared to gas or diesel? Consider the ethanol dilema: it's "environmentally friendly", supposed to be cheaper "per gallon", but you need a heck of a lot more of it to get the same kind of performance. So in the end it's practically a wash.

CNG is cheaper "per gallon" now because there's no "transportation" related taxes/fees tacked on and there's no distribution network that has to be paid for. Do we really think the state/feds won't pry their grimy fingers into the CNG business when "gasoline and diesel" tax revenues start declining? Doesn't matter which party it will come from, government will need to replace that revenue to keep up the spending on roads, transportation, etc.

Not trying to be a cynic or spoil-sport, but the whole picture has to be considered. Natural gas = methane....yuk. I still like the sweet smell of petroleum based hydrocarbons...:yes:

DONZI
09-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Boy am i pizzed !:mad: I just spent well over 1 hr typing up info on this. Having much experience with C.N.G and the site aske me to log in again and lost my post.:computer:
I know i need to type faster.:nilly:
Anyway here's a link with some info-
http://www.cleanvehicle.org/technology/cylinder.shtml

harbormaster
09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
I was seriously looking at doing it for the Hummer. Its a dual system that you can run on gas or cng. There is a refueling unit that hooks to your natural gas line at the house and allows you to refill your take at home.
It was pretty reasonable after tax credits.

yeller
09-27-2008, 05:50 PM
All our work trucks used to be CNG or Propane (dual fuel). Interestingly, neither ones would pass the emissions tests on the alternate fuel. We had to run the trucks through on regular fuel to pass.

onesubdrvr
09-27-2008, 06:56 PM
there's a new company down here doing back-end hydrogen piggyback kits..

first reviews are interesting..

30-40% mileage improvement...

Sterling offers a factory packaged CNG setup on new trucks
Buiz,

I actually have plans and schematics for this H2 piggyback set-up, the details are in the set-up, and is quite involved (100+ pages of material). Materials to build aren't too expensive, but need some pricey equipment to set up right - oscilliscope / etc., and need someone to drive while you tweak. Looks to me to take about a week (of evenings) to build one, and assemble the control box, then another day to tweak. Materials expenses would be about $100.00, say another $200.00 for tools / equipment to make the system work the best it can (a lot can be done by hand, but to do everything right, to guarantee the 30-40% increase in economy, there is some exact measuring to be done). The biggest concern mentioned in the material, is the possibility of rust build up on the valves / in the head from the increased water build up from running the H2, and they recommend replacing the valves with something other than standard steel. I have considered building one, but again, time is my enemy, but at 30-40% fuel savings, the $ can add up pretty quick.

Wayne

BUIZILLA
09-27-2008, 07:23 PM
www.mileageplus123.com

gcarter
09-27-2008, 07:47 PM
Boy am i pizzed !:mad: I just spent well over 1 hr typing up info on this. Having much experience with C.N.G and the site aske me to log in again and lost my post.:computer:
I know i need to type faster.:nilly:
Anyway here's a link with some info-
http://www.cleanvehicle.org/technology/cylinder.shtml
You know, I started copying my long posts before I actually post. So far, it's saved me two or three times.

onesubdrvr
09-27-2008, 07:57 PM
www.mileageplus123.com (http://www.mileageplus123.com)

Buiz,

They are probably using a similar unit to what I have plans / etc for, but my question would be (didn't see any thing on their site), on the Hydrogen generator, how are they controlling the voltage and frequency? Part of the plans I have call for adjusting the voltage and frequency so that you optimize the amount of hydrogen produced (ie the "testing / tuning" phase).

Wayne

BUIZILLA
09-27-2008, 08:08 PM
Wayne... no idea, I was going to visit them yesterday but it was a crazy day to say the least...