PDA

View Full Version : Put-In-Bay Via 22C, 180 Mile Round Trip!

Carl C
09-26-2008, 08:30 AM
I finally made the run to Put-In-Bay from Metro Beach on Lake St. Clair. The resort is mostly closed for the year but we had a great time making the run there and buying some supplies for the night and then drinking some local wine and some beer (lay off please, no one was driving drunk and this was a special occasion!) and walking around exploring the island. Not many girls this time of year, not many people at all but we had a good time and slept on the boat (yeah, you can do that in my boat). We weren't even charged a dock fee. I finally got the nerve to cross Lake Erie. Anyway the 22C is a very capable boat and all went well. This was my longest cruise yet and my first over-nighter. Cheers! I'll post more pics when I have more time.

Pismo
09-26-2008, 08:37 AM
Sounds like a great trip. How wide is Erie where you crossed?

Carl C
09-26-2008, 08:44 AM
Sounds like a great trip. How wide is Erie where you crossed? The Lake Erie part of the run was less than 50 miles and the width of the lake is also less than 50 miles there. The thing is, this is the west end of the lake and the average depth is around 30'. The waves tend to build up in this area and it can get dangerous real quick. We had decent conditions both days with 1-2 footers.

Jraysray
09-26-2008, 08:48 AM
Sounds like a great run! How did the fuel consumption work out? Good for you Carl.

BUIZILLA
09-26-2008, 09:04 AM
the last picture shows that the beer is better than average... :kingme:

check out the tide in the first pic... wow..

if you overnight on the boat, do they have bathhouse's there??

zelatore
09-26-2008, 11:02 AM
if you overnight on the boat, do they have bathhouse's there??

Not sure if that was sarcasm....I understood the great lakes had no (or maybe only a few inches) tides? Hence the fixed pier instead of the floating docks we use here in the bay area where tides run about 6' on average.

As for bathhouses....I don't use that term out here. Could get a fella in trouble if he wasn't careful. :eek:

Carl, looks like you need a bigger boat - overnighting on a Classic...craziness I say! As for crossing the lakes; I don't take my 22 out on the bay, I keep it in the delta. Partially because I don't want to hassle with the salt, but mostly because SF Bay has conditions a lot like the Lakes - short steep chop instead of nice swells. Not much fun for small boats.

Ranman
09-26-2008, 11:36 AM

HAHAHA!!!! There's no substantial tide on the Great lakes. Wow is right!

Ranman
09-26-2008, 11:42 AM
The resort is mostly closed for the year but we had a great time... Not many girls this time of year... ...but we had a great time and slept on the boat (yeah, you can do that in my boat)...

If the other part of "we" isn't a chick, I'm putting you under immediate suspicion. :kingme::party::spongebob::rlol:

Carl C
09-26-2008, 11:43 AM
Sounds like a great run! How did the fuel consumption work out? Good for you Carl. I got over 2 mpg. Cruised around 4,000 rpm most of the time but varied it.

if you overnight on the boat, do they have bathhouse's there?? Digital cams don't like low light! I think these docks were built for bigger boats. Maybe that's why we didn't have to pay a slip fee....they couldn't see us! Actually we tried to check in at the office and with the radio and no one was on duty. They do have a nice public facility with pay showers and all. Mostly all we needed was to lean over the side of the boat!

Zelatore, my boat has been modified to open up the under bow area. It is mainly to open up storage space and provide an emergency spot to crawl into. There is plenty of room for two to sleep in there with sleeping bags but I need to make a foam pad. It would be a lot cozier with a girl though. With the price of gas I'll hold off on the bigger boat and the 300 gallon gas tank. I also spanked a larger go-fast who thought he had something for me, don't know what it was but you can be sure that he knows he was beat by a little Donzi!:worthy:

BigGrizzly
09-26-2008, 11:56 AM
Carl, glad you had a good trip. as for sleeping on the boat I have done on a 16 with wraparound seat, actually at age 22 it wasn't bad, at 62 it would not be my best idea

zelatore
09-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Carl, I know you opened up your bow area - an excellent idea I thought; I might do it myself some day.

Still, not exactly 5-star accomodations!

Oh heck, who am I to talk. I've been know to spend a night or two in a tent in the middle of nowhere.

Carl C
09-26-2008, 12:47 PM
Pics: The island is Middle Sister Island in Lake Erie. One is a view from our slip, definately low tide ;). An 18 Donzi sitting rotting on the island :(.

Carl C
09-26-2008, 01:03 PM
If the other part of "we" isn't a chick, I'm putting you under immediate suspicion. :kingme::party::spongebob::rlol: I almost missed your two posts since they went up when I was posting. No, I'm not gay and yeah, that's a little closer than I'd prefer to sleep next to a guy but what the heck, we didn't have a lot of options:nilly:. It was a great time and a memory that will last forever. Actually we were looking for girls but the island was almost deserted and only two bars were open and they were empty! I will for sure go back next summer when things are in full swing.:cool:

Brian41
09-26-2008, 01:36 PM
Carl,
Did you go during the week or on the weekend. The wife and I are going tomorrow to meet up with some friends. In the first 5 weeks since the boat was finished I made it to PIB 4 times and the Island was rockin. I am sure this weekend will be slow but that just means we can sit at the bar with some elbow room. During the summer you have to wait in line to get into the bars.

Carl C
09-26-2008, 10:02 PM
Carl,
Did you go during the week or on the weekend. The wife and I are going tomorrow to meet up with some friends. In the first 5 weeks since the boat was finished I made it to PIB 4 times and the Island was rockin. I am sure this weekend will be slow but that just means we can sit at the bar with some elbow room. During the summer you have to wait in line to get into the bars. We were trying to picture crowds in the streets and bars but this time of year, on Wednesday and Thursday, it was pretty damn slow! After midnight there was nothing but taxis cruising. It was deserted and we walked around and drank a bunch of beer and checked out the place. There may be more people on the week-end but it's supposed to cool off so maybe not. You'll have fun anyway.

Magicallbill
09-27-2008, 02:10 AM
Carl;
I have overnited many times in Put-In-Bay with my Grady-White. The fee in the summer months was $45.00/nite I think.
As you saw on your tour around the joint, there are bars and shops and eateries of all sorts. The nites rock 'till the wee hours and there is live music, plus DJ's;big-screen TV sports bars, you name it.

It tends to get on my nerves, as I enjoy quiet on my boat at nite, but if you want "party-central, PIB is the place.

Buz, there are, as Carl said, pay showers on the island.. Drop 75 cents in(I think) and you get 4 minutes..Make sure all the shampoo's rinsed out....

Carl, next time you motor down there, head East to the North side of Kelly's island. There is a great beach there where lots of partyers raft off when the wind is out of the South or West. It is open to NE and North winds.

If you go there from Put-In, go around the South side of South Bass Island and you have pretty much open water 'till Kellys. If you round the North side after leaving PIB, be careful as there are shoals that come out and you have to thread your way thru them. The position of the shoals are difficult to describe here..Scan a chart of that area before you blast your 22 thru there. The main danger is between South Bass and Middle Bass..

Glad ou had fun..I have a soft spot for that section of Erie..Lots of neat memories...

Carl C
09-27-2008, 07:22 AM
Thanks, Magicallbill. I'm well aware of PIB's party island rep and I'm looking forward to returning next year and doing some exploring of the islands by boat. I'll also go a little further to Cedar Point next spring. Let's see, how can I sleep 4 on my little Donzi?

BUIZILLA
09-27-2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks, Magicallbill. I'm well aware of PIB's party island rep and I'm looking forward to returning next year and doing some exploring of the islands by boat. I'll also go a little further to Cedar Point next spring. Let's see, how can I sleep 4 on my little Donzi? with two couples that's easy... it's called *stacking*... with 4 guys it's sickening... :outtahere:

Lenny
09-27-2008, 09:47 AM
!

There is plenty of room for two to sleep in there

What does your head feel like after having your nose 2 inches away from a $hitload of Vinylester resin offgassing all night ?

Were you trapped in a mine as a kid?

http://www.donzi.net/forums/images/smilies/king.gif

yeller
09-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Sounds like a great trip Carl.

And yes, you can sleep on a 22C, even without Carls mods. Well...maybe it should be "pass out" instead of "sleep". :drunk:
A couple times now, I've done 3day, 2night trips on mine on the Sept long weekend. Pulled the 2 seats out, rolled out the sleeping bag. At 6', I can just fit in diagonally.

Lenny...I've been wanting to do Carls mods to make those trips a little more comfortable. As far as off gassing goes, why would it be any different sleeping in the 22 than any other boat with a cuddy. It is a concern of mine.

Carl C
09-27-2008, 08:16 PM
No gassing, just beer and wine.:drinkbeer::alky:It's too cold to sleep in the cokpit now and the boat gets covered in dew. The fog didn't burn off until 11 AM. This was my first overnighter and I'll for sure do it again. And there will be women. Really, Lenny, I've got a little fan in there and the air is fine.

FISHIN SUCKS
10-06-2008, 10:14 AM
What a great to be had at PIB. We did Christmas in July this summer on our 28zx. We were parked front and center off B-dock. From what I gather Carl, you do most of your boating during the week and your business on the weekends. Well, let me tell you, we arrived on Wednesday and there was plenty of talent there for you to gawk at between then and Friday! Barbi and I will definitely be back again next year:yes::yes:!

fwiw, dockage was $1.40/ft (39.20/night for us), $2.00/8 minute shower (and some of the nicest transient facilities around).

Carl C
10-08-2008, 11:30 AM
What a great to be had at PIB. We did Christmas in July this summer on our 28zx. We were parked front and center off B-dock. From what I gather Carl, you do most of your boating during the week and your business on the weekends. Well, let me tell you, we arrived on Wednesday and there was plenty of talent there for you to gawk at between then and Friday! Barbi and I will definitely be back again next year:yes::yes:!

fwiw, dockage was $1.40/ft (39.20/night for us), $2.00/8 minute shower (and some of the nicest transient facilities around). I'm looking forward to returning next summer when things are in full swing. Meanwhile it was surreal to be there when there was no one else around. I'll also be doing Cedar Point in the spring but will get a hotel room there. I've made a lot of great lifetime memories in my Donzi, and will make more.

hot shot
10-09-2008, 08:35 PM
Carl: I was just there last sat i took the trojan and took atomic carl, patty and 6 others i can make it in about 1 1/2 hrs from the mouth of the detroit river. I'm going back this weekend i think and rock on one more time.... by the way they have hotels with swim up bars and plenty of places to sleep....also they hqave the best halloween party in the usa i've been a couple of times by boat.... the jet express is always a good option as well leaving pt clinton

Carl C
10-24-2008, 11:32 AM
Carl: I was just there last sat i took the trojan and took atomic carl, patty and 6 others i can make it in about 1 1/2 hrs from the mouth of the detroit river. I'm going back this weekend i think and rock on one more time.... by the way they have hotels with swim up bars and plenty of places to sleep....also they hqave the best halloween party in the usa i've been a couple of times by boat.... the jet express is always a good option as well leaving pt clinton Sounds awesome. I'd like to get in on one of those runs if there is one on a mon-thur. It took us quite a bit less than 1 1/2 hours from the Detroit River Light cruising an average of 60 mph.:cool!:

boxy
10-24-2008, 11:49 AM
Sounds awesome. I'd like to get in on one of those runs if there is one on a mon-thur. It took us quite a bit less than 1 1/2 hours from the Detroit River Light cruising an average of 60 mph.:cool!:
Carl, sooner or later you're going to have to take a weekend off and hang with the regular folk ..... :D

Carl C
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM
Carl, sooner or later you're going to have to take a weekend off and hang with the regular folk ..... :D Or vise versa! lol