PDA

View Full Version : Handheld GPS mount in 22zx

brwn234
09-25-2008, 06:51 PM
I've been trying to figure out a way to mount my Garmin 76 GPSMAP. Garmin makes a mount. RAM mount seems a bit more secure and durable. But the thing is I'm not to big on the idea of drilling holes in my dash or having some ugly black thing mounted there.
I know most people have seen them before but I've posted a pic below. Mounting it near the compass would make sense but the screen is small and it would be too far away I think. I thought about trying to do something in the vertical area in between the console and gunwale just above the radio. Maybe even getting a short SS grab handle to mount in there and then buy a GPS mount meant for a handle bar. That might look goofy though. Any ideas?

zelatore
09-25-2008, 07:06 PM
I guess my first qustion would be what are you going to use it for?

If all you want is a speed over ground reading, mount it anywhere.

If you actually want to use it for navigation, the tiny screen (monochrome at that, right?) means that unit will be almost impossible to read bouncing around at speed no matter where you put it. In that case, I'd suggest getting a bigger color unit and mounting it permanently in the dash.

I know, you just wanted to know about mounts and here I go making things difficult again.

RedDog
09-26-2008, 06:31 AM
I used Velcro tape - the occasional big wake at speed will knock it lose but for the most part it stays put.

Stick the loops to the dash - the hooks to the back of the unit

Ghost
09-26-2008, 06:54 AM
Do you intend to leave it on board, essentially installed, or remove it? Is an accessory power cord an issue, or will it be battery power only?

(Your grabrail idea seemed reasonable to me.)

kramsay1234
09-26-2008, 07:40 AM
I will show you a pic of mine later on today.

brwn234
09-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Battery power only, no hardwire. I'd want to remove it when I go.

kramsay1234
09-26-2008, 08:17 PM
Well if you are going to put stipulations on it...

I rest it on the depth gauge so it has some support other than the velcro. Here you go...

MOP
09-26-2008, 08:18 PM
I used Velcro to attach to the windshield pillar on my 4X4, it took a heck of a beating worse then in my 22.

brwn234
09-26-2008, 09:23 PM
Kramsay, thats exactly what I was thinking about. I take it that it holds well and still gets good reception. Looks like I'm gonna have to see if I've got any velcro or buy some tomorrow.

kramsay1234
09-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Hasn't come off yet and reception has always been great with it...Doesn't look out of place and you can actually read it easily while moving, so I am sure will work well for you. I used to just set it in the cupholder or hold it but this is much better. Good luck. And post a pic.