PDA

View Full Version : What the heck is goin' on?????

gcarter
09-24-2008, 08:52 AM
I think we've lost about a half days posts.........
I wonder what happened?

Last Tango
09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
George,
In another area on this board, Harbormaster posted that he was moving the board to a new host server and that process could take about a day and a half with the board being down during that time. I don't know about you, but I would be totally Jonse-ing if it was down that long. Looks like he moved some of it but not all of it, in order to keep his life and ours in some sort of order. LOL!http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54196
I freaked out the last time the board was down for over a day. I had no idea how mentally dependent I was on this place. Although my posts seem to come in batches, I find that frquently I sneak a peak now and then throughout the day, and at night.
My God! How would we ever communicate if it wasn't for this website! How would we ever figure out gatherings? My whole DONZI alter-ego depends on the existence of this board. How lonely it would be if we couldn't gather here. How sad my life must be if I feel that way. LOL!

zelatore
09-24-2008, 10:22 AM
Man, I know what you're talking about! Last Saturday I couldn't get on the board all day. I was convicned somehow my home PC had freaked out and wasn't accessing just that one site....

McGary911
09-24-2008, 01:02 PM
We are in the middle of a server changeover, a few hours posts will be lost..

So if you're going to insult anyone, do it now.......and the evidence will vanish in the vapor. :boggled:

harbormaster
09-24-2008, 03:05 PM
You guys are all on the new server now. I am still moving over some attachment files, so if you get a broken link bear with me...

This site's database consists of about 4.5 million records. Yesterday I was backing the info up from the old crappy server and restoring it up on the new server. It was 4 hours into the backup when the generator ran out of fuel. CRAP!!
The backup and the restore each take 6 hours each. I finally finished the backup last night and the put more Gas in the generator that is running my computer and internet connection (still no power water or AC at the office). I then started the restore about 10pm, watched it for 30 minutes and then went home.
It finished without a hitch. I did the Domain name changeover this morning to point donzi.net to the new server. You guys should notice a marked speed increase because it is now running on a Linux server instead of a Windoze server. If any of this has made your eyes glaze over then please disregard....:wink:

Lots more work to do....Please bear with me. Also if you have comments or questions about anything strange or good let me know. 713-898-0605 Scot VanAlstine

BUIZILLA
09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
welp, for one thing, Poodle's signature movie is running faster.... i'm starting to get dizzy :pimp:

cutwater
09-24-2008, 03:28 PM
Scot, thanks for all your hard work. Next time you do a server changeover, maybe you should ask for a government bailout?? "I'm upside down in my server"!! I've heard they're really in to those sorts of things :wink: :wink: I'm sending some PayPal ching...

One thing a few of us have noticed recently is that the search feature only returns results from 2008 onward, and 2004 and before... Any idea why this is happening?

cutwater
09-24-2008, 03:34 PM
By the way, this site is smokin' fast now... :shades:

McGary911
09-24-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks for all the hard work Scot. :yes:

gcarter
09-24-2008, 04:31 PM
Scot, as soon as I can pay myself, it's been since June since I had a real paycheck, I'll send something along too.

Dr. Dan
09-24-2008, 09:00 PM
How do you delete a post if you want to now?

I no longer see that as an option - just curious.

Doc of Reckless Apparel :worthy:

Ghost
09-24-2008, 10:57 PM
Thanks for all the hard work, epecially under such adverse conditions.

txtaz
09-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Scot, You know you can always ask for help. I have my own server, AC and broadband.

Da Taz<---Soon to be Dr. Taz, BTW can you change my nick in December when I graduate?