PDA

View Full Version : GO FAST OR NO GO FAST. That is the question

Planetwarmer
09-21-2008, 08:27 PM
:alligator Can anyone tell me what speed is considered that you have a "go fast" boat? Or is it just the hull? There are some 120 MPH bath tubs on some of the lakes around here, are they "Go Fast" boats? I mean they go really effing fast! :alligator

Your opinions please.

mjw930
09-21-2008, 08:36 PM
Gofast for me is anything that has the singular purpose to go from point A to point B without stopping to fish, swim, ski or any other activity. That's not to say you can't do those things on a "gofast" boat but that they aren't the main reason the boat exists. As for speed, I think most gofast boats, in my mind, run 60mph+ if it's more than 10 or 15 years old and 70+ if it's a newer design.

Of course there are a number of bass boats and other boats that run better than 60mph but they exist to do things other than go fast so I consider them for what they are, Bass Boats, Fishing boats, whatever.

I use 60mph because the bulk of the the recreational boats out there usually top out around 50 mph and are designed to cruise in the low 30's.

Carl C
09-22-2008, 08:49 AM
I don't know how they make the distinction but the Coast Guard considers my 22 to be a "go-fast":yippie:.

Craig S
09-22-2008, 10:29 AM
congrats on no ticket!

Carl C
09-22-2008, 10:43 AM
congrats on no ticket! "Thank you for promoting boating safety".:):)