PDA

View Full Version : SSM manifolds

zelatore
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Started installing my new SSM manifolds today.

How hard could it be? Just unbolt the old stuff and bolt on the new, right?

(mutter, grumble)....what the?...why won't this thing line up?....crap....where's my dremal tool....:smash:

BlownCrewCab
09-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Valve Cover hitting the V Clamp?

BUIZILLA
09-21-2008, 08:38 PM
left manifold hits the power steering pump bracket?

zelatore
09-21-2008, 08:47 PM
left manifold hits the power steering pump bracket?

We have a winner!

Actually, it's hitting the short turn-down where the drive reservoir bracket bolts to the steering bracket. I tried trimming it off about 1/4" -just enough to leave the bosses that that the reservoir bolts to but it's still not quite enough.

grrrrrr.....and to think I screwed around earlier today after pulling everything apart thinking 'no sweat - I'll have this done in a couple hours'.

Silly of me to forget I was working on a boat. I'm supposed to know better! :hangum:

zelatore
09-22-2008, 02:01 PM
Here are before and after pics of the offending bracket. The before is with the reservoir unbolted; the after is with about 1/4 - 3/8" cut off - basically as much as I could remove and still reattach the reservoir.

Still not enough.

Since it was getting dark, I had to button it up for the week. When I get back home next weekend I'll cut it off flush so there is no turn down at all. Once I've got the manifolds on, I'll figure out where I want to mount the reservoir.

After all, how hard could that be?:wink:

mike o
09-22-2008, 02:50 PM
Here are before and after pics of the offending bracket. The before is with the reservoir unbolted; the after is with about 1/4 - 3/8" cut of - basically as much as I could remove and still reattach the reservoir.

Still not enough.

Since it was getting dark, I had to button it up for the week. When I get back home next weekend I'll cut it off flush so there is no turn down at all. Once I've got the manifolds on, I'll figure out where I want to mount the reservoir.

After all, how hard could that be?:wink:.... you must know SOMEBODY somewhere out there works at a LITTLE marina... that would let ya put it in the shop?:wink:

BUIZILLA
09-22-2008, 03:18 PM
if you take that bracket and cut a section out of about 5/16" between the turn down and the screw hole, weld it back together, your done...

MOP
09-22-2008, 03:30 PM
The issue with the bracket seems to come up in every install, can't the bracket be moved mounted elsewhere? Many of us have relocated the oil filters why not the piddly reservoir!!

zelatore
09-22-2008, 04:28 PM
Just got off the phone with Scott - he's working on it.

Can't beat the customer service!

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I'm going to end up cutting the down-turned part off entirely. Even if I sectioned it, I've still got to have room for the water jacket hose to squeeze through there. Most likely I'll end up relocating the reservoir. I may not be much of a fabricator, but I can probalby handle that much.

zelatore
09-29-2008, 11:08 AM
I got a little time Sunday to play with the boat.

I ended up just cutting the whole mount down since I realized there was no point in trying to save any of it - the water hose would hit the reservoir no matter how much I tried to trim it off. So I just ditched it and I'll make some sort of new bracket to move the oil bottle elsewhere. Once I made that choice, I pretty much cut off as much as I could of the bracket to make more room.

This project is going to take a looong time at this rate...I worked on it last Sunday until I ran into this problem, then had to go to my real job for the week. Then I got only a few hours to play with it yesterday before having to button up and head back to Oakland and work. Then I'll be gone on vacation to Maine (Maine???? Why did she choose to go to Maine when we have boat projects to work on???!!!) over the next two weekends. By the time I get this done, it's going to be rainy season.

Above are some 'before' pics. Here are the 'after' pics of the modified bracket. I left the pics big so you can zoom in for detail, but they take a while to load even with the fast new server.