PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophic Engine Failure!!!

techspecial
09-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Well the 22 year old Minx 260 blew up over the weekend...
Time for a repower...Open to suggestions...Want to stay with the
Alpha. Would like just under 400 ponies. Don't have an unlimited
budget. What have you guys done? Where is the best place to
get a crate engine without doing a lot of modifications?
No rush now...Looks like a winter project!!!
Thanks for Your Suggestions in Advance...
Mike

MOP
09-19-2008, 07:46 PM
You can buy or build a 383 fairly cheap, I have a mild one in my 22 I hit 65.5 light with a slash of chop. Your Minx should get into the upper 60's and with a warmer version who knows!

DONZI
09-20-2008, 05:15 AM
Buizz's word is as good as gold !
http://www.donzi.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54173

Or for more power and if still available-
http://www.offshoreonlyclassifieds.com/sale_pending_427ci_small_block_chevy_marine_build_ engine-o25573-en.html

:smash:

gcarter
09-20-2008, 07:54 AM
Mike, if you just want another stock engine, MichiganMotorz on eBay sells GM engines in several stages of dress and power.

techspecial
09-21-2008, 09:53 AM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=mll-mbp3830ct

MOP
09-21-2008, 10:06 AM
That should put a big smile on your puss!!!

VetteLT193
09-22-2008, 07:44 AM
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=mll-mbp3830ct

Blueprint sells direct too, If you like that engine I would contact them. I bet you can get it for less than Summit sells it for.

kcatucci
09-22-2008, 02:28 PM
I have an 86 minx also. I built a 350 s/b years ago. Pistons rings valves etc this year. Dyno reads 426 hp. I have no idea how fast it is as i dont have a gps. But i say the stock 350/260 stinks. You can do better than that. If you want to discuss contact me.

cutwater
09-22-2008, 03:00 PM
Blueprint sells direct too, If you like that engine I would contact them. I bet you can get it for less than Summit sells it for.

Wow, that's a nice package. For that price point it really competes against the GM HT383.
Anybody have any thoughts on the "Brezinski cast iron marine intake manifold" that comes with it?

kcatucci -

I'd love to hear some numbers if you could ever get your hands on a GPS for a day. What outdrive do you have? I agree, sometimes my Minx w/ the 260 feels a little sluggish, especially if there's more than just me on board.

kcatucci
09-22-2008, 03:10 PM
I am running an alpha drive. No holeshots tho as I fear twisting it to pieces. One thing I learned the hard way, cant use stock exhaust with all the cam she has in her. I really have to borrow a gps one day soon, and i've had the boat since it was brand new.

kcatucci -

I'd love to hear some numbers if you could ever get your hands on a GPS for a day. What outdrive do you have? I agree, sometimes my Minx w/ the 260 feels a little sluggish, especially if there's more than just me on board.

joseph m. hahnl
09-22-2008, 06:49 PM
Well the 22 year old Minx 260 blew up over the weekend...
Time for a repower...Open to suggestions...Want to stay with the
Alpha. Would like just under 400 ponies. Don't have an unlimited
budget. What have you guys done? Where is the best place to
get a crate engine without doing a lot of modifications?
No rush now...Looks like a winter project!!!
Thanks for Your Suggestions in Advance...
Mike

What do you mean blew up? Is the block shot?
I still say" Better to build the ponies from what you got"."Pump It UP"
Your Dollar goes a lot further when your not paying for some one Else's labor. Rebuilding an engine is a piece of cake. The only thing you can't do yourself is the block.Just have your local automotive machine shop resurface all of it.the rest is all bolt on .for $4000 +++ $$$$
what it cost for that crate you would have 100% more motor and ponies for your buck.

Also re maned short blocks are an excellent way to save money
just bolt on all your stuff. or new stuff if you prefer. still way cheaper . Again eliminating the labor cost off a crate motor

techspecial
09-22-2008, 08:02 PM
I'd really like to avoid getting my motor to the point where no two pieces are touching...That's a little beyond my patience and expertice...
Besides, the cylinders on the thing are full of water right now of unknown origin...It's 22 years old so I guess it's time to put him out to stud...
I like the suggestion about the short block though. What would the
procedure be? Buy the high performance 383 shortblock, add a couple
of heads and then go for the shiny stuff from there? Where would I find
a good vendor for that kind of stuff? I got a little push-back from the boss
when I threw that $4295.00 number at her!!!

gcarter
09-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Use Vortec heads.

kcatucci
09-23-2008, 07:33 AM
I agree with the labor comment. Without labor you can afford to put a bunch of goodies in that engine. When I built my engine, I bought some books and went from there. No experience at all. Granted, I got 6 hours out of the first motor, but it was because the cam was too much for the stock exhaust and sucked water back into the engine. The valves looked like tulips when i opened it up. So i did the heads with more goodies and here we are 12 years later and it runs like a raped ape.

If his engine is full of water it is probably not catastrophic. Could be as simple as the exhaust manifolds let go.

What do you mean blew up? Is the block shot?
I still say" Better to build the ponies from what you got"."Pump It UP"
Your Dollar goes a lot further when your not paying for some one Else's labor. Rebuilding an engine is a piece of cake. The only thing you can't do yourself is the block.Just have your local automotive machine shop resurface all of it.the rest is all bolt on .for $4000 +++ $$$$
what it cost for that crate you would have 100% more motor and ponies for your buck.

Also re maned short blocks are an excellent way to save money
just bolt on all your stuff. or new stuff if you prefer. still way cheaper . Again eliminating the labor cost off a crate motor

mrfixxall
09-23-2008, 01:37 PM
I have been using this engine,good results and power,upgrade the oil pan to a moloden 7 qt oil pan and oil pump,air gap mainfold and a edlbroch 650 cfm marine carb,,all said and done around 4500.00 and your running again..

http://www.fbparts.com/GMP%20330.htm