PDA

View Full Version : Career advice

brwn234
09-19-2008, 04:12 PM
About a month ago my wife and I relocated to Fort Lauderdale from Northern Virginia(good part). The reason for our relocation was because my wife received a promotion that required relocation. Unfortunately I wasnt' able to stay with my company(bad part). As it is for most people here boating and just being near the water has always been one of my passions and I decided I want to make a career out of it. Being that there are alot of people here from alot of different backgrounds I was hoping someone could give me some advice on how to get started somewhere in the Marine industry. I realize I'm in a different market and at and very entry level. Any advice would really be appreciated. Thanks.

handfulz28
09-19-2008, 05:10 PM
What part of town did you end up living in?

What part of the marine business do you want to be in? Sales, repair, maintenance/service, outboards, I/Os, deck/dock hand?

Show up where you want to work and tell them you'll work for peanuts. See how it goes from there.

brwn234
09-19-2008, 06:21 PM
We actually didnt buy a place and I'm glad. We're renting an apartment of US1 about as far north of as you can go in Ft Lauderdale. about 1 mile south of Hideaway.

I'd like to eventually be part of Operations/Management so I think working from the bottom up is the key.

We should meet up on the water some time. Are you going out this weekend? We might head out tomorrow, chance of rain. Pretty sure we'll be out on Sun. The boats at MarinaOne in Deerfield.

handfulz28
09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
Probably won't get out this weekend. Family stuff and working around the house.

I see you posted on OSO too. Maybe someone with some connections down here can hook you up. It's jus a matter of what you are willing to do to start, and where you want to end up. Good luck!

I hear you on the renting thing too. Now is the time to start looking around to where you want to steal a place...

chappy
09-19-2008, 06:55 PM
A long time friend has owned a marina for over thirty years, and in '02 I asked him about getting into the boat business somehow. He appeared sad and told me that my passion for boats would disappear once I got entrenched in the game. He told me to stay away from the business side.

Another guy I met in '04 runs his own marina as well, and I asked him the same question. He told me his passion still burns bright, and he enjoys his boats as much as he ever did.

I decided the first guy may have been burnt out, or simply never enjoyed boating as much as I did, and he got into the business for different reasons, opportunity instead of passion. I've never had the chance to get into the industry, but if I did, I would jump at it. The reason is simple, guys on this board. Every day I read and absorb information from many in the industry, and I know they're not on here because of their jobs, it's because they still have the desire to get on the water and move.

When you get in and get started, I will be jealous, or even yet, I may do the same someday, who knows.:beer: