PDA

View Full Version : Swapping sbc/alpha to bb/bravo on a 22c.

txtaz
09-19-2008, 02:47 PM
What information do I need to swap a sbc/alpha setup to a bb/bravo?

Any other combos to consider?

Da Taz<---I see ducks in my future.

gcarter
09-19-2008, 03:01 PM
I think all you do is drill two more holes in the transom plus relocate the exhaust transom holes....that's the toughest.

handfulz28
09-19-2008, 05:06 PM
I've been wondering about the same thing. Are the BB and SB engine mounts in the same exact location? Can you literally just drop a BB in where a SB sat and with a little adjustment on the mounts everything will line up?

BlownCrewCab
09-19-2008, 05:27 PM
I've been wondering about the same thing. Are the BB and SB engine mounts in the same exact location? Can you literally just drop a BB in where a SB sat and with a little adjustment on the mounts everything will line up?

Yes, that is correct. you could even use the same bell-housing if needed. and as George stated, the only change going from alpha to Bravo is drilling 2 more holes for the transom assembly.

Titan
09-19-2008, 07:39 PM
Might want to check your X-Dimension. Would be the time to raise it if needed for better performance and handling. If you have to move the exhaust, you might as well go all the way.

BlownCrewCab
09-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Might want to check your X-Dimension. Would be the time to raise it if needed for better performance and handling. If you have to move the exhaust, you might as well go all the way.

Agreed

farmer tx
09-21-2008, 11:53 PM
http://www.performanceboat.us/forum/showthread.php?t=48

VetteLT193
09-22-2008, 09:23 AM
My brother's 22 had an Alpha with a big block, he put in the Bravo and did what George said... put 2 more holes in the transom and that's it. He already had the Big block so the exhaust lined up. His X is pretty low, makes the boat really easy to drive but if you really want top speed I think a shorty lower would work well.

When I measured my Minx for a big block I calculated that I could widen the current exhaust holes and the trim ring would cover the insides of the hole. I'm not sure if a 22 is like that or not, but it should be close so you don't have to do the finish work on the old holes.

Trueser
09-22-2008, 09:26 AM
What year ? You may want to inspect the lower transom for moisture.

txtaz
09-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the info. The point may be mute as the guy has not returned any of my calls.

Da Taz<---The search continues.

handfulz28
09-22-2008, 12:49 PM
On the exhaust, I had these ideas...

Might not work with a switchable system, but would there be enough play in a flexible hose to not have to drill new holes?

Are there aftermarket exhaust systems that would accomodate perhaps a small "twist" of the risers to accomodate exhaust outlets?

VetteLT193
09-22-2008, 02:32 PM
On the exhaust, I had these ideas...

Might not work with a switchable system, but would there be enough play in a flexible hose to not have to drill new holes?

Are there aftermarket exhaust systems that would accomodate perhaps a small "twist" of the risers to accomodate exhaust outlets?

You might get by with Stainless Marine setup. MadPoodle is a dealer, he may know more. Stainless marine is the only one (that I know if) that has a round mounting base on the riser so you can get some give in them right/left. The rest are either hard mount (think headers) or have the 4 bolt Gil style mount which have zero give.

exhaust hose isn't very flexible... If the SM setup won't work and you still don't want to cut bigger holes you can get a custom stainless pipe made with a bend in it for each side

KerrLake
09-23-2008, 02:06 PM
I had custom exhaust elbows made from Dana and powder coated to match my manifolds. I would think they or someone could make them offset. There was no way the hose would bend as much as I needed it to.

handfulz28
09-23-2008, 04:25 PM
Supposedly the blue silicone hose offers a lot more flex than the standard "marine" exhaust hose. At least that's what I read somewhere here on the forum.

zelatore
09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
The blue silicon hose is more flexible than regular wire-wound black exhaust hose - that stuff pretty much doesn't bend at all over these sort of short distances.

But it's all relative. It's not like you're going to bend it 30 degrees or something. Still, if you only had a little correction to make I'd give it a try.